Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spring into March 2010 Bandsters

Hello My Fellow March Bandsters,

It has been 10 and 1/2 weeks since my surgery. I really feel that I am making some real life change, and I am really happy about that. Life is physically getting a lot easier. I nolonger think twice about doing the things things that normal weight people do on an everyday basis such as climbing a flight of stairs, walking longer distances etc. Last night I went to the Yankee Game (YEAH - the Yankees beat the Red Sox), and I fit SO much better in the stadium chairs, and the walk from the lot was nolonger exhausting!

I had my second fill yesterday - bringing me up to 5.1cc in a 10cc band. I am on liquids until tonight, so I do not know about restriction, but the PA stated that I should feel a difference. I hope so!!!! I am down 42 pounds - only 9 more pounds until I hit the 200's! I cannot wait!

Prior to surgery, I had contacted my insurance (Horizen BCBS) twice and my MD contacted them once. All 3 times it was documented that I do not need pre-approval for this procedure. I also have a copy of my insurance binder stating that it a covered expense. Well - I have now been rejected twice. It is a game they play - now they want a letter of medical necessity (I was 350 pounds, had high BP, was borderline diabetic, taking BP meds and nexium 2X ad day - WTH?!?). Letter was sent in - now waiting again! The odd thing is that they paid the hospital bill - $25,00 (paid a lower contracted amount though), but they did not pay the surgeon ($8,500) or anesthesiologist ($2,500). I have to say though - if I knew that they were possibly not going to cover the procedure prior to surgery, I probably would not have done it. Knowing what I know now - even if I have to pay out of pocket - I am glad I did it - it is a life altering experience.

The exercise is going well: 2-3 miles walking the track with my walking buddy. We walk at a rate of 3mph. Not sure if we should increase the milage at this point or increase our pace. What do you all think would be more beneficial? My biggest issue - my feet ALWAYS hurt! Just bought 2 new pairs of sneakers - boy this sneaker buisness is getting expensive!

I know my goal for this month is to slow down my rate of eating. I think that it will help me feel fulness better. What are you all eating? Jodi - I love my Sushi too and have not had any stuck moments with it (I have not had any stuck or PB incidents yet - thank goodness!). My nutritionist said that bread, rice and meat are all okay as long as you don't get stuck - I guess you will not know unless you give it a try. Carbs, bread, and sweets were never trigger foods for me at all, so that to have them in my diet are complements to my diet not hinderences. I was a total volume eater - and even without restriction as of yet - I cannot eat even close to what I used to.

I hope that everyone has a great week.:thumbup:

Cynthia

Edited by cynpatt

Ooh Cynthia!! You lucky girl! I'm jealous! That was an AMAZING game last night! We're going to a Yankee game on the 30th. Can't wait!! :thumbup:

So I had my 2nd Follow up appt at the doctors today.. Only lost 4lbs in 6 weeks. He wasnt a bit mad at me though, So that made me feel better. He said He knows i am working out hard and that I just need to the band to help me so I have a Fill scheduled for this coming Monday! :thumbup:

Thank you for the pep talk. I can use it. I am nervous about my first Dr.s appointment b/c I've never had a fill before. Can you tell me what that's like?

P.S. Love your ticker. It really captures the celebratory mood.

Good luck on your fill. I haven't had one yet and I'm nervous about mine. I think your Avatar is soooo cute. The kitty from Shrek.

Thank you for the pep talk. I can use it. I am nervous about my first Dr.s appointment b/c I've never had a fill before. Can you tell me what that's like?

I had my first fill last week and it was pretty uneventful. I went in they weighed me, asked me how I was eating, was I getting full between meals and what my portions size was. Then he had me lay back on the table and he kind of poked around to find my port. Then he said you will feel it get cold (he cleaned the area with alcohol) and a little needle stick. I felt the stick (just like a shot) and he kind of moved it around a little and then said all done and pulled the needle out. That felt a little weird because it tugs on the port a little. He put a band-aid on and had me drink some Water. The water was to make sure he did not over fill. He said if it feels like it is sitting in the back of your throat it is to tight. He said mushie for 2 days and then solids. I had a hard time because I was still have not mastered small bites and slowing downing so I had a few "stuck" episodes since but have really watched it the last couple of days and am doning great. Don't worry about the fill it is really simple.

Thanks for the feedback. It reassures me a lot.

Kelsey - You are doing GREAT! I know that you are a little frustrated with your loss, but 18lbs (even if it is only 4lbs post-op) is great! It is SO hard when you hit a standstill. I think part of the reason that I went down so much from my surgery was that I did not have a pre-op diet. The first week on liquids had me loosing half of the total weight that I have lost to date. I think the pre-op diet often lowers the weight that you loose post-op initially. Also it depends on how much total you need to loose. I hope to be down 150-180 by the end of my journey. If you only have half that amount to go, then it will obviously take longer. Anyway - keep on going - you are doing FANTASTiC!!!

Makissa - It was't bad at all! I expected a lot worse. I laid down, they felt for the port (I couldn't feel it, but they obviously could), a small pinch, and it was done in less than 20 seconds! They had me drink some Water and that was it. I was on water for 24 hours and then mushies.

I had my second fill Monday. AFter my forst fill I had no restriction - I didn't believe that the second one would make a difference, but it did! My first 2 meals afterward I ate tuna, and it was fine, but this morning I ate my light english muffin with egg and turkey sausage and I had my first episode. OUCH!!!!! I was driving and thought that I was having a heart attack it hurt so much! lunch I had plain deli turkey and was only able to eat 5oz - usually that would not have gotten me full. I hope the restriction that I have continues.

Good Luck to all!!!

Cynthia

Hiya guys.. a question for my fellow march banders that already have a fill... Need to get in a workout tomorrow, no reason i couldnt go to the gym after my fill right?

I only walk on the treadmill at the gym - no restrictions there. Good luck on your first fill!

Hiya guys.. a question for my fellow march banders that already have a fill... Need to get in a workout tomorrow, no reason i couldnt go to the gym after my fill right?

You should be fine, after my first fill I had gotten stuck with the needle twice and the nurse was poking around because my port is on an angle and the needle needs go go in on a slant in order to get to the port. I was sore and bruised but I dont think there are any restrictions, except going to soft or mushies for a day or two before resuming regular bariatric diet.

Got my first fill today! got 3cc's :tongue2: It was so easy i dont know why i was so worried.. liquids only today and it sucks! Even Water is sitting for a while and I LOVE IT!!

Got my second fill today. Only 1cc this time but I am down 3 lbs in 2 weeks. Go back for another fill in 2 more weeks. Now that the weather has warmed up and the rain has decided to stop I think I will start walking again on my breaks at work. When I was walking the weight seemed to come off faster.