Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spring into March 2010 Bandsters

My surgery is tomorrow at 7:30 AM, Super excited and nervous. Was supposed to be on clears today but I had little slip up at lunch :unsure: But back on the wagon and Trying to Drink my slip up away hehehe!

My surgery is tomorrow at 7:30 AM, Super excited and nervous. Was supposed to be on clears today but I had little slip up at lunch :unsure: But back on the wagon and Trying to Drink my slip up away hehehe!

Good luck.....youl do great!! Remember to walk walk walk....and sip, sip, sip after you awake. Will have you in my thoughts and prayers for tomorrow......

Hi everyone...Hope everyone is feeling good!!! Those who have been banded and those going for it in the next two weeks...my thoughts are and wishes are with you all!!!

I had my first post - op yesturday and I cannot believe I lost 16 pds!!! I was like....no way. I dont feel like I did; I dont see it for sure....but thats what their scale says...and apparently they pride themselves on their scale. lol

I can now eat mushies...and thank god....as youve all heard I could not stand another day of just Clear Liquids and Protein Drinks. SO...after I came home from the doctors I sat and had a tablespoon of cottage cheese...and let me tell you...that was like a little heaven!!! SO, yummy. It was the most delicious thing Ive ever eaten!!!!

Today...I had the same.

Tomorrow....I think something else maybe...lol

Stevie, you were right.....turns out it wasnt a prefil at all. Apparently what hap

pened was....they put the band in and yes your right its not filled with solution its empty however....when the surgeons attach the band to the port..air does get in the band which secures a tight fit around the area its placed. In my case the area around it became too tight due to the normal inflamation and so to relieve the tighteness that was causing the liquid to not pass easily....too slowely.....he took out whatever air was in their.....due to the attachement above right away the band fit like a glove..as its supposed to. I was on only clear liquids this whole week to help with the reduction of the inflamation..over the week...and I feel great now!!

I actually dont feel like I had surgery at all. I feel really good. Ive been taking the vitamins....and all that other stuff..but bottom line...im feeling fine.

I dont feel the port or incision at all and all the gas pains have disipated.....Im a happy camper.

Ill have to eat mushies for a month and April 14th I go back.

Hello all. I am on day 5 of pre-op and so far so good. I have lost 11 lbs since last Thursday. I went in for my pre-op blood work today and the dangt nurse bless her heart stuck me 4 times and never found a vein. She felt so bad for sticking me so many times. Heck I am use to it. I know I have hard veins to find. She had to send me to the lab and they got me on one try. Then it was off to the bank to get my first of two payments for them. That was tough to have to withdraw that much money but it will be well worth it.

Ouch that must have hurt. U seem to be such a sport...id have been screaming like a banshee....When I had the surgery and they first put the IV on the back of my hand...after a few minutes it began to hurt....I was like Please take it out and put it in my arm. They said it wasnt really what they did but if it made me more comfortable....then they would...I felt much better and it didnt hurt at all. Yes, its alot of money..but like you said it will be so worth it!!!

Its olmost the 24th....

Question for you all -

My docter reccomended 2 multi chewable per day and 2X500mg chewable calcium citrate a day. The chewable isn't great, but doable, but I could not even tolerate the chewable Calcium without gagging. The pill was HUGE - about the size of the circle when you put your thumb and pointer finger together. Any suggestions for better tasting calcium?

Thanks!

Hi....Yes Ive tasted those pills....yuch. I got some really yummy ones...they are choclate chewable calcium bites. They come in a bag and they taste like a choc chew. I emptied the bags and poured them into a container....and Im not sure what the name of it is...but I will find out and let you know...in fact they are so yummy and you take four a day.....so I space it out and use them as a snack. lol

I got them from the doc office...they are really yummy everyone seems to agree...Ill let you know.....I will call tomorrow.

Banded 3/5

Start Weight 350

Current Weight 330

Goal Weight 200

I received a whole little packet of information with a member ID number. It came with a little temporary ID card, and I went on LAP-BAND®.com and I filled in my information and they sent me an actual patient ID card with all of mine and my Dr.'s information.

I didnt get anything lol. Maybe it will come in the mail in two weeks post op as well here....lol

a little unsolicited advice: be cautious about who you tell for just the reason you said. I think "dieting" and "weight loss" are like parenting, in that everyone has the right idea and best solution and they feel compelled to share it. shame is such a nonproductive thing anyway. so peace and love and good luck to you! I was banded March 8 and am doing very well ...

'

I agree...so true. People are so brainwashed about the way they think about "diets and "food" and the band/gastric bypass. If and when I get those dumb ass remarks I just say....my body, my life....I choose the tools I will use to get healthy....nothing not to like or like for u. I told people that im doing it before and now I tell them ive had it done..and if I get that,...but why cant you do it on your own...I just say....you have something in your body that doesnt belong??? how about an ear pierce?? that usually ends that conversation real quick!!!

Good Evening all,

So it is official I am banded. My surgery was last friday, and I'm feeling pretty good. My starting weight was 300, and the day of the surgery I had lost 20 pounds on the pre-op diet. Today I weight myself and I have lost ten pounds since the surgery.

I'm having to learn to drink all over again, in the past I was a Water gulper and now that hurts like a bad word when I do it. Someone had suggested purchasing the sippy cups that kids used so I did. I am now drinking from a SpongeBob cup, which is making it kind of fun!!

Today I probably did more than I should have, and am feeling it now. I also decided to make my husband dinner instead of him eating another cardboard box meal. He does not mind them, but I wanted to do something nice for him. I made meatloaf, mashed taters, and gravy. It was nice making dinner, and not even being tempted by it.

Glad to hear things are going good and you are feeling fine!!

I hated the liquid clear diet as well!!! If I have to have another sip of chicken soup...Ill really loose it..after all how many containers of Jello, ice pops and Protein drinks can you have...the broth broke it up but by the end of the week...I was screaming for something else lol.

Well...its time to go....

glad to catch up...Have a great night!!!

Jodi

Hi All!

I am a March bander :unsure: (March 16th to be exact).... I live on Long Island and I am hoping to be on this amazing journey with you all.....

Hi All!

I am a March bander :frown: (March 16th to be exact).... I live on Long Island and I am hoping to be on this amazing journey with you all.....

Congrats on being banded! 5 more days for me. Including today. I'm on Long Island, also. Where on Long Island are you?

Yeah everything is going great! I got a little whiney last night and still felt that way today, but the pain is pretty much gone and I get to advance my diet soon, so all is good.

Thanks for asking and good luck to you :frown:

Kuj,

Well, finally home from the hospital. Actually I came home the same day I was banded, which, was Thursday the 18th. My doctor said my surgery went very well! I don't recall much of pre-op, other than them getting me ready, cap, gown, etc. and giving me something to calm my nerves. Otherwise when I woke up in recovery, I was sooo thirsty, they did let me have a few cups of ice. I got to my room, I was allowed to get up and goto the bathroom, then I decided I needed to walk and put some clothes on. A little while later, they rolled me off to have my upper GI done.. stuff was nasty, but they confirmed all went well. Then, they let me sit in the hall for 20 minutes, well, I got tired of waiting for "transport" and went and found a nurses station and gave them heck about it, and then I was on my way to my room. For the rest of the afternoon, it was just sipping liquids, and getting a load of antibiotics before my release. Signed paper work, got the low down on my On-Q and then "transport" was on the way to take me to my boyfriend and daughter who were ahead of me to get the car. Funny, when the "transport" guy came, he says "can I see your band," I immediately said (all drugged up) "your not a doctor and I"m not lifting my shirt to show you anything!" haha.. he said "no no no, I mean the band on your arm to ensure I"m picking up the right patient." LOL.. I just said ohhh forgive me, I'm just a lil high on these drugs they gave me!

Trip home was good, the boyfriend stopped and got me my prescriptions filled and lots of liquid stuff. We got home and he turned into a lil susie homemaker, making Jello and pudding, and ensuring I was all comfy.

Today, I feel pretty good, however, I'm really trying to get all these liquids in and I feel full all the time, with really no appetite, but don't want to get dehydrated, and I have no fill in my band. Strange, but the Dr. said alot of his patients are like that.

So.. the journey begins....Good luck to you, I hope your progressing well!! Keep in touch!

Kuj,

Well, finally home from the hospital. Actually I came home the same day I was banded, which, was Thursday the 18th. My doctor said my surgery went very well! I don't recall much of pre-op, other than them getting me ready, cap, gown, etc. and giving me something to calm my nerves. Otherwise when I woke up in recovery, I was sooo thirsty, they did let me have a few cups of ice. I got to my room, I was allowed to get up and goto the bathroom, then I decided I needed to walk and put some clothes on. A little while later, they rolled me off to have my upper GI done.. stuff was nasty, but they confirmed all went well. Then, they let me sit in the hall for 20 minutes, well, I got tired of waiting for "transport" and went and found a nurses station and gave them heck about it, and then I was on my way to my room. For the rest of the afternoon, it was just sipping liquids, and getting a load of antibiotics before my release. Signed paper work, got the low down on my On-Q and then "transport" was on the way to take me to my boyfriend and daughter who were ahead of me to get the car. Funny, when the "transport" guy came, he says "can I see your band," I immediately said (all drugged up) "your not a doctor and I"m not lifting my shirt to show you anything!" haha.. he said "no no no, I mean the band on your arm to ensure I"m picking up the right patient." LOL.. I just said ohhh forgive me, I'm just a lil high on these drugs they gave me!

Trip home was good, the boyfriend stopped and got me my prescriptions filled and lots of liquid stuff. We got home and he turned into a lil susie homemaker, making Jello and pudding, and ensuring I was all comfy.

Today, I feel pretty good, however, I'm really trying to get all these liquids in and I feel full all the time, with really no appetite, but don't want to get dehydrated, and I have no fill in my band. Strange, but the Dr. said alot of his patients are like that.

So.. the journey begins....Good luck to you, I hope your progressing well!! Keep in touch!

Sounds like you are on the right track!! I got to get off clear liquids and start full liquids so I'm not feeling quite as weak. I can just about drink anything at this point...just add Water or milk and let the magic bullet rip, definitely gets it so thin you could drink it through a straw!

I was actually able to stay up all night and study which is something I hadn't done the past few days, just felt so tired and warn out. Then again, I flew home from MX and then drove myself 2 hours home...then had to turn around 7 hours later and drive back to the city and my friend was admitted in the hospital for preeclampsia...jeesh when it rains it pours. I've actually been able to get some good sleep the past 2 nights and feel a bit more rested in the morning. As you can see though, it's like 3:30 am and I'm just now going to bed after studying pretty much all day. It sucks to have to make up for the days of studying missed getting banded and all that good stuff.

I hope all is well for you and your journey continues as planned. Later---Erin

Sounds like you are on the right track!! I got to get off clear liquids and start full liquids so I'm not feeling quite as weak. I can just about drink anything at this point...just add Water or milk and let the magic bullet rip, definitely gets it so thin you could drink it through a straw!

I was actually able to stay up all night and study which is something I hadn't done the past few days, just felt so tired and warn out. Then again, I flew home from MX and then drove myself 2 hours home...then had to turn around 7 hours later and drive back to the city and my friend was admitted in the hospital for preeclampsia...jeesh when it rains it pours. I've actually been able to get some good sleep the past 2 nights and feel a bit more rested in the morning. As you can see though, it's like 3:30 am and I'm just now going to bed after studying pretty much all day. It sucks to have to make up for the days of studying missed getting banded and all that good stuff.

I hope all is well for you and your journey continues as planned. Later---Erin

Erin,

Gosh, no wonder you've had no sleep. Hopefully things will settle down for you. I know myself, I've had a few sleepless night. I too am in college and in my last class for my BA in Crminal Justice, plus, I work 2 jobs. Thankfully, both jobs are letting me have some time off.

I'm glad to hear your not feeling as weak as you were, I'm sure the good sleep and getting more liquids in you sure helps. Keep up the sleep and such, and good luck on your boards, I know you'll succeed!

Good luck,

Tina

Congrats on being banded! 5 more days for me. Including today. I'm on Long Island' date=' also. Where on Long Island are you?[/quote']

My sister lives in Yaphank! I used to live in East Moriches. Small world. I will be banded on 3/24 in Mexico than will be going to visit my LI family on 4/9....I'll have to meet up with you at some point!!

My sister lives in Yaphank! I used to live in East Moriches. Small world. I will be banded on 3/24 in Mexico than will be going to visit my LI family on 4/9....I'll have to meet up with you at some point!!

OMG! Very small world! I grew up in Coram. I was born at St. Charles Hospital in Port Jefferson. :) I also lived in Florida for 5 years :) I've been back here for almost 12 years. I lived in Orlando and I miss the warm Florida weather :sad:

Yes, we'll def have to meet up! :)

My husband and I moved to Yaphank this past August. I like it. It's pretty quiet but there's no 7-11! :) lol

Oh! My cousin, who lives in Victoria B.C. was banded by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico in August. Is that who your surgeon is?

Edited by ♥Amy♥

OMG! Very small world! I grew up in Coram. I was born at St. Charles Hospital in Port Jefferson. :) I also lived in Florida for 5 years :) I've been back here for almost 12 years. I lived in Orlando and I miss the warm Florida weather :sad:

Yes' date=' we'll def have to meet up! :)

My husband and I moved to Yaphank this past August. I like it. It's pretty quiet but there's no 7-11! :) lol

Oh! My cousin, who lives in Victoria B.C. was banded by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico in August. Is that who your surgeon is?[/quote']

No, my surgeon is Dr. Kuri. He works out of the same hospital as Dr. Ortiz. Have you been following any blogs of people who have been banded? I found them to be a great source of information. If you haven't, I also started a blog which I hope will help me during this journey. If you click on it, it will lead you to many others who've gone before us!

No, my surgeon is Dr. Kuri. He works out of the same hospital as Dr. Ortiz. Have you been following any blogs of people who have been banded? I found them to be a great source of information. If you haven't, I also started a blog which I hope will help me during this journey. If you click on it, it will lead you to many others who've gone before us!

Actually I was reading yours a little while ago! :)

And I have started to read one other the other day. I'll have to check more out.

Not much longer now!! Only 4 days till we get banded! :)

Four more days!!! I am down 20lbs so far on my pre-op diet!!!

Hiya guys... Its been a few days... I was banded around 8am or so on Friday..Got to the hospital at 5:30am and Remember heading to surgery at 7:30am.. I remember being in my room around Noon, Dr Urbandt was awesome, so friendly and calming too.. He told my Mom and Dad that surgery took longer due to the fact I had really strong ABS that took longer to get into.

I was in a great amount of pain, I honestly didnt think it would be this painfully, I was up and moving around 2pm friday, I wasnt allowed to drink until Saturday AM, until had a gastric View Test. They were going to keep me another night due to the amount of pain I was in and not being able to keep anything done, But I really wanted to go home so They let me go at 5pm yesterday, I stayed at my Folks Hotel, and now I am now at my own home and bed :smile:

Still is a good amount of pain :laugh: Just trying to walk and sip, walk and sip...

Liftingchick,

Hope you are feeling better.