Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had an uncle years ago who was an alcoholic. When he finally decided to stop drinking, he started gambling. He actually became a bookie and would sit in front of 4 TVs watching all the games with a bank of telephones (this was pre-cell phone days). He use to brag how he wasnt truly an alcoholic because he was able to give it up. Even at my early age I recall thinking he didnt give up anything, he simply switched vices.

food has been my vice for years. All of my family is slim, but most have alcohol or drug addiction issues. Mine was always food.

It has worried me some that I might just pick up a different vice, rather than truly give up over eating. Luckily so far I have been able to control my behavior and exercise (at least for now) seems to be my drug of choice.

Has anyone else had any issues with picking up another bad vice post obesity surgery?

Minimeme, I think you are on to something. I have read lots of articles that state people who have weightloss surgery do infact pick up another vice. I have a close relatve that seems to drink more now that she has had WLS. It scares me enough that I am being very mindful of my drinking. I once heard Rosie O'Donnell say that she had empathy for those famous celebrities that kept getting arrested for drug and alcohol issues because she beleived that if overeating were illegal she would be arrested. I think we really do need to be mindful that we have "addictive" tendencies and if we drop the food addiction we need to make sure we don't pick up another bad habit.

I do think you and I are in a good place because we are going to be mindful of what could happen.

Goodluck!

my mother had a gastric bypass. She never drank more than a beer in one sitting. In the past year since she lost the weight she has gone to rehab for alcoholism 4 times. She definitely swapped.

I also heard someone talking about becoming sexually addicted and cheating on their spouse but i tried to tune it out because it was so offensive.

Wow I am so sorry to hear that. I asked my surgeon about the vice swapping thing and she says it tends to be true and most of the time it is alcohol one switches too. She had (what I thought) a lame explanation..that it takes less to make someone "buzzed" and they don't adjust for it! I think it is all about addictive behavior. I have heard about the sex thing too.

I think you will be okay because you are aware from the get go. Have you ever talked to your mom about why she thinks it has happend to her?

she admits it it because she couldn't eat and just needed something. She has an "addictive personality" she says.

I am so aware of it, I know that it will not happen to me.

I am an alcaholic and have been sober for three years! I see lots of women in aa who have had the surgery. I was recently banded and atten oa meetings but mostly aa for all my vices. I ask myself is this god's will for me and if not i move on. I have a sponsor and someone whom I share all aspects of my life even the thinks i am afraid others might find out. I really believe live must be live in balance Mind,Body and spirit.

Why did I have the surgery? The band is my food sponsor in some ways.:rolleyes2:

I have heard & seen this also while nursing on a psych unit for many years. I think people have to decide what they are going to let control their lives.....

Some people are stronger in personality than others.

Which just goes to prove that food is an addiction. Alcoholism, obesity, gambling, smoking, etc. run through my family. I have one uncle who didn't have any of the above but he was obsessive about his diet and exercise. He ended up in therapy where he learned that, in his case, it was also an addiction. He still runs in marathons and still enjoys working out, but there is a balance in his life now.

Any compulsive behavior taken to extremes is a problem. I belong to several WLS lists although this is the only one I actively participate in and there are always a few people who very obviously have traded their food addiction for an addiction to physical exercise. Some would say it's the better trade, but an addiction is still an addiction.

The key is 'balance'...in our eating and in our life.

This is the only one I belong to and I have to say from reading some of the threads on this forum (especially in the rant and rave section), some are obviously bouncing off the walls on the internet. Posting on this forum has got to be one of the most mentally and emotionally taxing I have ever participated in. The trade off is information I need. I see a lot of control issues being played out on the forum.

I've been in AlAnon for years (rampant alcoholism in my family), and I'd say that there are a lot of people who have been affected by alcoholism and other addictions that have weight issues. Also childhood sexual abuse.

I'm addicted to food---it's just like a drug for me. It helps me to comfort myself and push down all those emotions that I don't want to deal with. I notice now that I'm controlling my addiction with the help of the band that I've become more depressed. I think part of that is that some of those feelings are beginning to come to the surface. I know I have to deal with this stuff, and it isn't easy.

I haven't felt the urge to pursue another addiction yet...not shopping, not sex, not alcohol, and I hope I don't.

I am a Certified Addictions Counselor and in my career, pre-banded, I have seen and assessed many, many people who become "addicted" to drugs/alcohol after Weight Loss Surgery. While talking with these individuals entering treatment they believe that their addiction started after surgery and they had no problems prior. I know as well as most people on this site that we all have suffered from food Addiction. It is very real and very profound in controling your life and causing the same crisis as it would in an alcoholic/drug environment. "Cross addiction" as it is called happens often. Please be careful with this. It is very real and will cause much harm in your life.

Stacy- What can I do to replace the good feelings that food gave me? It seems like I have to have SOMETHING. How do I get out of that rut?

Stacy- What can I do to replace the good feelings that food gave me? It seems like I have to have SOMETHING. How do I get out of that rut?

That is the absolute key in success with ANY recovery. People (we) use our substance of choice because we get some type of reward from it whether it be emotional, physoical or otherwise. It makes our brains believe that is one of the only things that give us pleasure anymore. You and I both know thats not true but that is what we have been telling our brains for many many yrs. I would suggest starting simple....a walk on a nice day, shooting basketball with smaller kids, volunteering, reading, exercising, etc. It will be different for everyone. Dig down deep.....there were things that you used to love to do before yourr love affair with food began. Go back to the beginning. The other really important part is realizing that you absolutely deserve to treat yourself WELL! Put yourself first no matter how hard it is. Yes, even in front of your children and SO. You matter and you must make yourself happy. Takes time...but it's possible. If you are struggling...send me a message. I will do what ever I can to help:smile2:

Good Thread. It really makes you think.

As I read what others have said, I'm thinking about if I will feel the need to replace my food. I have never been much of a alchol drinker, but maybe there will be danger in other things.

That is the absolute key in success with ANY recovery. People (we) use our substance of choice because we get some type of reward from it whether it be emotional, physoical or otherwise. It makes our brains believe that is one of the only things that give us pleasure anymore. You and I both know thats not true but that is what we have been telling our brains for many many yrs. I would suggest starting simple....a walk on a nice day, shooting basketball with smaller kids, volunteering, reading, exercising, etc. It will be different for everyone. Dig down deep.....there were things that you used to love to do before yourr love affair with food began. Go back to the beginning. The other really important part is realizing that you absolutely deserve to treat yourself WELL! Put yourself first no matter how hard it is. Yes, even in front of your children and SO. You matter and you must make yourself happy. Takes time...but it's possible. If you are struggling...send me a message. I will do what ever I can to help:smile2:

thankyou :(