Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All!

I read several different stories about the required "pre-op diet". It seems like the timeline and required intake differs per surgeon.

What is your pre-op diet like? I am sure it isn't easy, but I would like to know how long and what you are required to do.

I would love to hear feedback on what you are doing and how long you were told to be onthe pre-op diet.

Thanks and GOOD LUCK!

Vickie

Just started mine today. I have about 800 calories and 90-100 grams of Protein required each day. Mine is an all liquid diet, however there are limits on what I can eat. The doc gave me a sheet that includes pudding, Jello, broth, cream Soup, crystal light, and not much else. I can do this, it's only 10 days of my life and I'm taking each meal as it's own feat. I can't concentrate on the 10 days as a whole.

Each surgeon is different in what they require pre-op. I had to have Protein Shakes and drinks for Breakfast and lunch and for dinner I could have chicken or fish, vegetables, salad or broth. It might sound easy but it was not. However it was only for two weeks prior to surgery. I am 6 days post op and on liquids but then again. its well worth it.

I am on the 6th day of my pre-op diet and it's not horrible. The head hunger and cravings are starting to lessen. I have a Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch and a lean cuisine for dinner. I can have sugar free Jello or low sodium broth as much as I want. And I can put fresh fruit with my shakes but I eat it on the side instead so I can chew. I have lost 11 pounds so far and that's pretty cool. I keep thinking shrink liver shrink.

I have already posted on this please go through as it of any help...

Pre-Op diet totally depends on your BMI. Patients to maintain a high protein/low carbohydrate diet prior to LAP-BAND surgery. Specifically, this means no bread, no Pasta, no rice, no potatoes. The duration of the diet depends on the BMI: 7days for BMI's under 40, 10 days for 40-50, 14 days for BMI's over 50.
If you need to take proper diet schedule please do consult with your medical practitioner. Anyways from my point of view your pre- surgery diet schedule should be...

Breakfast

* One serving of any two of the following: (toast, eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, fruits, or cereal).

lunch

* One serving of Myocel (or any Protein supplement providing about 20-25 grams of Protein per serving) mixed with skim milk, Water, or fruit juice.

dinner

* One serving of lean meat or fish (pork, beef, chicken or fish) and one serving of green vegetables (lettuce, broccoli, etc.)

Dessert

* One serving of Myocel mixed with skim milk, Water, fruit juice, or any high protein, low carb drink.

Hope this will help you a lot...

Thanks

Edited by alicez

Mine was 2 weeks prior to surgery but I started early. Only Clear Liquids and 60 grams of Protein shake made with Water each day. broth, sf popsicles, Tomato juice, clamato juice, Water, Jello, crystal light were the only other options.

It was awful, it made me cry a lot, I was always hungry. I heated up the tomato juice and i could pretend it was kind of like Soup.

I am on the same diet 4 weeks post op. But I switched to full liquids this week because I don't really believe in my doctor's no dairy for the rest of your life policy. My dietitian said he only does it because people take everything too far and it would lead to ice cream shakes every day in his eyes.

Hello!

I'm on day 4 of my pre op diet...surgery is scheduled for 1/15, so I have 11 days (OMGGG!) until surgery.

My surgeons diet consists of two options. The 1st is to have 3 Protein shakes a day, 1 med fruit, a Lean Cuisine (or other brand) under 300 calories and unlimited raw veggies, 1/2 cup cottage cheese. I can only have 4 oz of milk which is killing me because I can't stand the Protein Shakes with Water.

The 2nd option is the 3 Protein Shakes with 4oz lean meat, 1/2 cup cooked veggie, 1 medium fruit 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese. Unlimited Water, popcicles (suger free) & jello(s/f).

It's interesting how everyone has different per op diets. I'm very thankful for the unlimited raw veggies, it's nice to have something to crunch. I definitly feel for those on all liquid diets right now! Stay strong :rolleyes2:

Hello,

I'm on day 4 of a 2 week pre-op diet and I've found that it does get easier.

My choices are either a Protein shake or tuna, 4oz chicken, or fish with romaine lettuce or spinach with veggies (peppers, mushrooms & zucchini only veg allowed). Balsamic vinegar only dressing allowed. No fruit, added oils or other fats.

I can also have tea/coffee with skim milk, nf yogurt or nf cottage cheese.

I'm amazed that I've gone 4 days without bread which is huge for me. I love bread! I'm down 6.5 lbs so far and I approach it just one day at time.

My surgery is scheduled for Jan 14th. Only 10 days away.

Good luck and good health to you all!

I have already posted on this please go through as it of any help...

Hope this will help you a lot...

Quote:

Pre-Op diet totally depends on your BMI. Patients to maintain a high protein/low carbohydrate diet prior to LAP-BAND®®® surgery. Specifically, this means no bread, no Pasta, no rice, no potatoes. The duration of the diet depends on the BMI: 7days for BMI's under 40, 10 days for 40-50, 14 days for BMI's over 50.

Thanks

This is not entirely set in stone, my BMI was well under 40 and I had to do 14 days on my pre-op diet. I did Medi-Fast. Which is shakes, Soups, and bars. It also included one "lean and green" meal each day. Basically a low calorie, high Protein, low carb diet.

Denise

I am on day 2 of the two week liquid diet. I am allowed only 4-5 Protein shakes, sf Jello, sf ice pop 30 cal max, and raw veggies.

I really wish I could eat some lean turkey or chicken instead of one of the shakes. I am not happy. But yeah it is only for two weeks and I really want to do it. Like the other posters say, I am taking it one day at a time, but this will be the longest days ever.

I get banded on 1/15 and I am so nervous and excited. Good luck to all of you, I wish you all a speedy liquid diet!

J

I am on day five of a two-week pre-op diet and staying strong. I can only have liquids (no pudding or yogurt), Protein shakes, Soup, s/f popsicles and s/f Jello. No solids or bits of food at all. It was hard the first two days, but then I made a killer batch of Soup and it lasted several days. I think that creamy soup got me over the hump, and it tasted so much better than the canned Soups. Plus, I LOVE my Protein Shakes. I ordered them from my sister's Amway website and can't wait for the next batch to arrive. I hardly feel hungry! I bought myself some gum and herbal tea to get over the tough moments. Work is extremely busy and I'm grateful that the Christmas break is over.

My surgery is 1/13 and I can't wait! Skinny girl is on the way!!

I dont think I could survive without the pudding. Just tried the cheesecake one.. OMG.. it was devine. That makes living on the liquids a little easier for me.

the nurse at my soon to be surgeon's office told me that their pre op diet is 2 weeks and is liquids only. i won't get to eat lean cuisines and stuff like others have. liquids only and they even said no jello! i'm like what??? lol but i know it will be worth it in the end. =)

the nurse at my soon to be surgeon's office told me that their pre op diet is 2 weeks and is liquids only. i won't get to eat lean cuisines and stuff like others have. liquids only and they even said no jello! i'm like what??? lol but i know it will be worth it in the end. =)

Yeah, that'll be torture, but YOU are soooo worth it!! :smile2:

Best wishes!

Denise

I'm nearing the end of my preop diet. It's involved two Protein shakes and one protein/veg meal each day. The shakes must have 15 or more grams of Protein and fewer than 10 grams of carb; what I use is my own choice. In addition, I'm allowed to have 2 servings each of broth, sugar-free popsicles, or sugar-free Jello.

Post op, I'll have one day (surgery day) of Clear Liquids, one day of full liquids, and then be permitted 3 Tbs. of pureed protein 3x/d as tolerated.