Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going back, I was at the point of having 2 fills and no weight loss....I'm a solid person and size (16/18) to start. I called the nurse coordinator at my doc office and she said I need to see the nutritionist each time I come in and because no weight loss she wanted me to see the nutritionist. She repeatedly stressed that I needed to keep a food log and be honest, as if I would lie. She spoke to me like a child. I honestly feel it's a racket as my insurance doesn't require it. I heard she pushes this every visit...mind you it's an additional charge to see her (the nutritionist). I told her I was choosing not to see her but was told it was non negotiable. Whatever. I go to the appt and I ask the doc why it's neccessary EACH TIME to see her and he said it's not, but she gives some good tips. He said some people take longer for the band to kick in than others and goes on to explain that he had a patient who wanted the band ripped out and bypass surgery because it wasn't working. He refused and a few fills later it kicked in and that at patient was very happy and is now a success with weight loss. I just need to be patient and wait. During the fill with the tech present we discuss it more and he said it wasn't neccessary to see the nutritionist and I didn't have to see her that day. I go home and recieve a voicemail from this nurse coordinator. It states that I broke the agreement I made (no, I didn't agree...I was told I had no choice) and that she's disappointed in me and that in the future I will need to make an appt with the nutritionist a week prior in order to get a fill. I live 2 hours away and just can't get off work like that and she's well aware of this. I left her a voicemail stating the doctor told me I did not have to see the nutritionist etc. I have not heard back from her. This nurse coordinator has MANY people angry at the practice. Everyone loves the doctor, and is willing to travel the miles to see him but they're disgusted with her. She's the gatekeeper in all this. There's a new doc in town, she came from another state and there's nothing but rave reviews of her. I know right now 8 people who are transferring to her because of this woman. I'm considering jumping ship as well. I'm a grown woman and this coordinator is treating me like a child. I'm apalled that she thinks she can trump the doctor in decisions. As it is right now, the doc was right...that fill kicked in and I have lost 9lbs since December 3. I FINALLY feel some bit of restriction. I love my doctor but I'm not wanting to put up with this woman. I'm torn with jumping ship because I do like my doc a lot. I have an appt coming up and I really don't want to go because I'm not wanting to put up with this woman...you're required to call into her to schedule a fill. I talked to the doc about her last time and was told she's "going through a lot" and "had a bad weekend". I don't have to stay with him, but I want to...I just don't want to deal with her. I have a feeling I may end up going to the new doc. It's a shame she's ruining the doc's business with her attitude. This process is new with them, because they had a few patients who had problems due to what they ate...now everyone must see the nutritionist. The last appt with her she said "do you know why you gained weight" and my reply was that I just came off mushies and I would assume it's because I'm back on solids. She asked what I ate and said ok, that's good.....$30 please and I'll see you next time. No, I don't agree with that. Another time she popped her head in the ultrasound room just before my fill and said "is everything ok" and I said it was. She asked if I had any questions....nope. Ok, $30 please...see you in 6 weeks. I feel it's fraud and part of me wants to call my insurance company. This nutritionist now has an office in my doctor's office. If that's the case, he should be paying her salary and it should be part of my copay to him. I'm paying 2 copays for 1 office visit. It's wrong. I'm not having any eating issues, so there's not a medical reason to see her.

Keep in mind, I work in the medical arena!!

Edited by nellie09
adding more info

Does the new doctor accept transfer patients? Will your insurance company have a problem with the change? Good luck and keep us posted.

Yes, she accepts new patients and ones who are already banded. She also accepts my insurance and my insurance company is fine with the switch.

If you stay or if you switch, I think you need to write a letter and include everything just like you did in this post. Make sure you don't say anything mean, just state the facts. That office needs to at least check themselves. They need to take a look at how they treat people. If nothing else, at least you will be helping the patients that come after you.

I too work in healthcare and with many patients.

This is what I would do if I were in this situation:

1. Schedule an appt. with the new dr., maybe a fill, to see if she lives up to the reviews. Until you meet with you, you won't know if she's a better fit. Also, you need a chance to ask questions, specifically if she also has a nurse who is the gatekeeper, etc. I would be honest and tell her what your experience has been like so far, so that she can shoot you straight.

2. If you like the new dr., I would definately transfer.

3. I would write a letter to the CEO of the medical center that your old dr. is part of. I would address it to the CEO (or whoever owns the company) and tell them about your experience because that is the person who cares the most about losing your business. Also, no CEO is going to make excuses like your dr. did for her behavior. He will deal with it because he's losing business.

4. In my letter, I would use bullet points or very clearly list the main few reasons why I was leaving the practice. Don't drag it out. The less words you use to state your point, the better you'll be.

Anyway, don't know if this helps. Just thought I'd share what I've found helpful in the past.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

On the wall at the office where I work, there is a hand written note in our Dr.'s hand writing. It says:

People will not remember what you say and likely will not remember what you do, but they will remember how you make them feel.

I work for a wise man. We try our best to not make people feel bad by treating adults like children.

re: what you say .... like all the instructions you give ...

Unfortunately there's no CEO. The doc is solo. I do like the idea of a letter, but checking around the general concensus is that the same nurse coordinator is the gatekeeper in correspondence and phone calls to the doctor. She has a large part of this program. I'm not sure I'm going to get past her unless I go for the appointment and talk to the doctor directly. I may have to take the follow up appt with no fill to convey my experience and go from there. I think I'm going to make an appt with the new doc in town just to make sure I've got an option.

you might want to write the letter and hand carry it to the Doc. You know how sometimes you forget important points during conversations with a doc.?

The doctor needs to be made aware of patient dissatisfaction with his coordinator. And because you have been happy with his care, I'd go so far as to say that you owe it to him to let him know your reasons you are thinking of leaving his practice and allow him to address your concerns.

If this woman really is his gatekeeper, he may be completely unaware of what is going on.

You may need to schedule an appointment with him to hand-deliver a letter to him.

I would hand carry the letter to the doctor and make it a point to tell him that he is losing patients because of this woman. At that point, it is within his control to save his business.

I would check out this new doctor before actually switching just to make sure you like her...but I think I'd also write a letter to the insurance company or contact someone there.

I actually wondered if perhaps there isn't a bit of a kickback arrangement going on between this 'gatekeeper' and the nutritionist and that's why she's making people see her every time.

You have received excellent advice -- a letter is most assuredly called for. You could address the letter to the doctor and write CONFIDENTIAL across the bottom, but it seems this nurse coordinator might not even respect that. Alternately, you can send it certified mail directly to the doctor -- that way he will have to sign for it himself. Just make sure you check the restricted delivery box.

Unlike some of the others, I wouldn't make any definite plans to move my care to another doctor until after I played this out. See how things go. You like this guy, so you should not be the one leaving -- the NC needs to move on or back off. That is YOUR right as a customer who has paid for your doctor's services, and who continues to pay via copays.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out!

I honestly believe there's kickback action going on as well. I am going to hand carry that letter so I don't miss any points....good idea. I don't think he'll do much about what's going on, but at least he'll hear it from me. It's sad because I do like him and the miles to get to him isn't an issue. He's was the only doc in the are that did any kind of bariatric surgery until this woman doctor recently. People drive a few hours to go to him. This woman doctor is a lot closer to me, but I had no intentions on changing until this issue. Yeah she's more convenient for me, but I'm a loyal person, however I'm not going to be "punished" because the doctor and I discussed and issue and made a decision. I'm not going to jeopardize my job with extra appointments because she's mad I didn't follow her suggestion. I'm in my 40's and I'm too old to be playing these games with her.