Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Master Banders...what is a typical day of eating for you?

I'm curious because I see people talking about

eating things that I have been forbidden to eat...ever

(rice, bread, Pasta, etc. - foods that might clump);)

Plus I wanted to see how much food one takes in

on a typical day...the routine, the amount.

I don't plan on being a measure freak,

but I want to gauge what it's like.

Thanks!

I was banded Aug 2007. My doctor tells me that my food should be the size of a deck of playing cards. That means of course that your Protein will take up most of that and then fill everything else in. Does that make sense? I use this when I don't have time to measure my food!

I'm curious because I see people talking about

eating things that I have been forbidden to eat...ever

(rice, bread, Pasta, etc. - foods that might clump):)

Plus I wanted to see how much food one takes in

on a typical day...the routine, the amount.

I don't plan on being a measure freak,

but I want to gauge what it's like.

Thanks!

I'm not a master bander by any means, but I have hit my sweet spot and I can eat rice, bread, Pasta, etc...just not in excess. Yesterday's menu looked like this:

Breakfast: 1 scrambled egg, 1/2 slice oatmeal bread

Lunch: 1/2 grilled cheese sandwich, 1/2 cup clam chowder

Dinner: 3 oz roasted chicken, 1/2 cup steamed broccoli and about 2 Tbs of rice pilaf. I originally took 1/4 cup but I reached 'full' before I'd even finished half of it.

What I find interesting is that my blood sugar didn't drop despite not eating 6 mini meals as I've had to do in the past...and I was perfectly satisfied right up to about an hour before each meal. Then, it wasn't a case of hunger, just the knowledge that I 'would be' ready for dinner by the time I prepared it.

Oh and my doc recommends 1 cup of food at each meal with the bulk being Protein and vegies.

The first 7 months I was a textbook bandster eating exactly by the rules.

The past 6 weeks I have stopped doing everything by the book. I skip Breakfast because I really am not hungry and my band is typically tight in the a.m. For lunch I eat a can of Campbell's Soup or McDonald's chicken strips. dinner I eat whatever I want just not much of it such as a taco or meat and veggies. I seem to be losing weight just as consistently as I was the first 7 months but I'm sure I am not as healthy as I could be. I am not able to eat rice, Pasta or bread very successfully with the restriction I am at.

Thank you for the replies.

It's fascinating that you are able to eat

as much as you do because I was told that

the pouch is the size of the tip of my thumb.

I assumed it was more like the size of a golf ball.

I haven't had a fill yet and I find that I'm hungry

more often now than I was pre surgery.

Which bites!

:lol:

But I am excited that one can work

outside the box (rules) of eating and still lose weight.

Not a Master Bander, either. I eat to my appetite.

Breakfast is usually 2-3 graham crackers with a little Peanut Butter. lunch is either a half sandwich and salad or Pasta, Soup, or frozen low-cal meal. dinner is salad and meat of some sort.

I'll admit to occassional Snacks that aren't the best choice. But I like that about the band. I am free to make choices and have special treats.

Denise

I've been at goal for a couple of years now, so I guess I'd have something to add.

In a typical day:

breakfast: some kind of Cereal (oatmeal or muesli usually) with some kind of pureed fruit and perhaps a dollop of greek yogurt and or a bit of skim milk

OR

A piece of wholegrain toast, or similar (english muffin, a crumpet, whatever), with a bit of butter and spread - Peanut Butter, jam or vegemite

occasionally on a weekend scrambled eggs, maybe some bacon (not a big fan of cooked breakfasts) or pancakes once in a blue moon

Lunch:

some sort of salad - leafy greens, carrot, mushroom, Tomato, cucumber, avocado, a Protein like tuna or chicken, maybe I'd have that in a sandwich, but generally eat only half the sandwich

if I'm having something out - sushi, a fancier salad, a kebab and very occasionally i"ll have something like a meat pie (cant eat it all)

dinner:

meat and 3 veg usually - barbecued, roasted or grilled chicken, steak, lamb cutlets, lamb chops. dont eat a lot of pork but occasionally roast a leg, usually a starch (brown rice, half a potato maybe) and a couple of different vegies - steamed or as a salad. We also eat a bit of Pasta, some fish, make things like pizzas.

For Snacks, I might eat some fruit, or maybe a cookie, I like a glass of wine maybe 3 nights of the week.

coffee and tea I drink plain - just brewed coffee with a dash of skim milk, the occasional latte or cappucino although in australia those arent calorific concoctions, just espresso and skim milk.

I dont really eat Desserts, nor chocolate, lollies, chips and such. I drink Water, never have soft drinks or juice.

A totally normal diet. Portion sizes are what I'd call "small normal" meaning I dont eat a lot but I dont survive on half a cup at a time either. A deck of playing cards is probably a good way to describe it. Cereal serves are half a cup and when I eat bread, a slice is all I'd manage. Can eat about half a sandwich at a time. I never have Protein shakes or bars.

I run, do boot camp and circuit training five or six days a week.

Edited by Jachut

Jacqui,

Glad to see you are still posting! I took some time away.

Nice to see long-term successes still around. Motivating to see many at different places along the journey.

Denise