Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded last night (12-23-09)

Don't hate me, but I did not have to do any preop diet.

I am however doing as much liquids as possible today and tomorrow just for my own sake.

The doctor said I have a BMI of 35 so he didn't want me losing any weight or I wouldn't qualify anymore.

So glad to have you all a week out to get me thru this and answer questions.

Hi Katy,

I know how you are feeling regarding the liquids. I woke up feeling very hungry today (day 5). I would love to pick up something solid to eat. I keep telling myself that it is only for a few more days and then I can move to a soft diet. We came this far, haven't we? We can do it!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

My stomach has settled down A LOT!! First of all, I stopped my Protein Shakes yesterday (until I can talk to my doctor today). I also ate only 1/3 of what I have been eating since I have been home. I had 4 oz yogurt, 2 fudgecicles, and 1/2 cup of cream of chicken Soup in 18 hours.

My doctor and nutritionist were very clear on what I could eat after surgery but they did not specify how much I could eat. So, thanks to a board member for pointing this out to me~ I had "dumping." Dumping occurs when you eat certain things or eat too much and I was definitely eating too much. As soon as I cut back on my eating yesterday, I felt much better.

I'll keep you updated on what my doctor says.

Thanks for checking in on me!! Take care and will talk later!!

Amy

Hey Amy,

I am glad to hear you are doing better! Yes, I have heard of the dreaded "dumping." That stinks that you have already experienced it. Yuck. I have been eating about the same amount as you have each day. I stop eating before I get full, because I am too nervous that I will accidentally eat too much. I did have some oatmeal for breakfast...I'm really not supposed to have that until next week, but I figured I could tolerate it. No problems with that. It was quite tasty.

So I felt well enough to head to Walmart with the hubby this morning. I think I bit off a little more than I could chew; I was pretty tired after about 15 minutes!! I stopped and sat down while he finished getting a few groceries. I felt like I was one of those little old men waiting on his wife to finish shopping!!:thumbup:

I think I'll stay home and take it easy the rest of the week.

Katy

Don't hate me, but I did not have to do any preop diet.

I am however doing as much liquids as possible today and tomorrow just for my own sake.

The doctor said I have a BMI of 35 so he didn't want me losing any weight or I wouldn't qualify anymore.

So glad to have you all a week out to get me thru this and answer questions.

You are lucky not having to do the pre-op liquid diet!! I guess you'll get your share of it the two weeks after surgery.:thumbup:

I am a newbie to this so I have no idea what I am doing. But I have my 1st consultation appt today @ 3pm. I am nervouse and don't know what to expect. I have a lot of medical issues and not happy with me. I am 5'2, and weight 220lbs. I don't know what to expect at this appt.

Now you will really hate me. LOL

My doctor said at our consult that after surgery he will want me to do Clear Liquids for a day or two, then regular liquids for a day or two then soft food for a couple of days. So I think I'll only be miserable for a few days.

Now you will really hate me. LOL

My doctor said at our consult that after surgery he will want me to do clear liquids for a day or two, then regular liquids for a day or two then soft food for a couple of days. So I think I'll only be miserable for a few days.

That's crazy. You hear of so many people doing different things. I have heard of people having to do the liquid diet after surgery for four weeks. I wouldn't be able to survive. I guess it just depends on the doctor that you have.

Lucet,

Depending on how your office works - this will just be a meet and greet with your doctor or with his nurses to see if you qualify weight wise or insurance wise. Don't be nervous. I went through the entire process with one doctor but just didn't like their nurses or him for that matter and then started all over with another dr. I am self pay so it wasn't that difficult but the intital consult is just informative so don't be nervous.

I'm banding Wednesday and can give you a full report as soon as I am able to get on line.

I am a newbie to this so I have no idea what I am doing. But I have my 1st consultation appt today @ 3pm. I am nervouse and don't know what to expect. I have a lot of medical issues and not happy with me. I am 5'2, and weight 220lbs. I don't know what to expect at this appt.

Welcome Lucet!! I remember my first consultation appt a few months ago. Don't be nervous, they will talk to you about the lapband, and let you know if you qualify for the surgery. They will even look in to seeing if your insurance will pay for the surgery. If there is a possibility of your insurance covering your surgery, they will set up a roadmap for you that lets you know the requirements that you must fulfill before being approved. For example, seeing a nutritionist, stress test, and so forth. Good luck and let us know how it went!

Amy it says you were banded on the 23rd of Dec this year...must be a mistake then. Thanks for your responce.

Edited by katchat

Amy it says you were banded on the 23rd of Dec this year...must be a mistake then. Thanks for your responce.

Katchat: From what I have seen Lisa is getting banded today. I didnt see anything about banding on Sunday and Amy was banded on 12-23-09 so she's just a few days post op. There was another girl names Cassie who posted but she got banded in December of 08.

I'm getting banded Wednesday if you want to check back I'll answer any questions you might think of.

90 pounds in six months - WOW... what did you do if you dont mind me asking. I totally undertand still wanting to do it because maintaining will be easier with the restriction. But, what an accomplishment on your own.

So you had surgery at your weight around 197. I'm just curious because I am having surgery starting at 200.

I was eating nutritiously and working out regularly. It got to the point that I could not reduce my food intake any more without risking malnutrtion. Thank you, it was quite an accomplishment. I worked very hard to do it.

Yes, the day of surgery, I weighed 197.2 lbs.

Also, I did not have to do a pre-op liquid diet. My doctor had me on a high protein/low carb diet one week prior to surgery.

Sorry about the earlier confusion. I thought you were banded last Wed. But it's great that you'll be banded THIS Wed!!! Good Luck!!!! And share your experiences with us!!

Amy

Nope, definitely no mistake Katchat. I was banded this past Wednesday, December 23, 2009.

Thanks!

Amy

Hey Amy,

I am glad to hear you are doing better! Yes, I have heard of the dreaded "dumping." That stinks that you have already experienced it. Yuck. I have been eating about the same amount as you have each day. I stop eating before I get full, because I am too nervous that I will accidentally eat too much. I did have some oatmeal for breakfast...I'm really not supposed to have that until next week, but I figured I could tolerate it. No problems with that. It was quite tasty.

So I felt well enough to head to Walmart with the hubby this morning. I think I bit off a little more than I could chew; I was pretty tired after about 15 minutes!! I stopped and sat down while he finished getting a few groceries. I felt like I was one of those little old men waiting on his wife to finish shopping!!:lol:

I think I'll stay home and take it easy the rest of the week.

Katy

Katy! :biggrin:

Unfortunatley, I was misguided by another board member on another thread. I saw my pcp today, spoke with my surgeon, and saw my nutritionist. Dumping Syndrome only occurs in those who undergo gastric bypass. It's the body's reaction to an overload of sugar that one ingests. You may want to google it for a better definition. You won't see it around here b/c it does not pertain to us. It only pertains to those who undergo gastric bypass. BTW~ This is not written to offend anyone or to hurt anyone. This is my experience since Wed, Dec 23rd.

A quick re-cap for everyone new to this thread: I had been having diarrhea since Thursday evening, my 1st day post-op. My doctor told me it was most likely due to the antibiotics that they had given to me in the OR. My stomach is very sensitive to antibiotics and milk products. Since the surgery, eating the creamy Soups (as prescribed by my surgeon), and drinking my Protein Shakes, I've been full of gas, crampy, and having bouts of diarrhea.

I freaked out on Saturday and came on the msg boards that night afraid that something was wrong. I was misguided into believing that I had been eating too much and was experiencing this dreaded "Dumping Syndrome."

Not to hurt anyone's feelings and not to start any debates, I'll just state what my doctors and nutritionist told me today.

1. If I had ate too much, I would have vomitted NOT had diarrhea.
  2. People who are banded do not experience "dumping."
  3. The diarrhea is from the antibiotics and the milk products in the yogurt and Protein shakes and will go away.
  4. To stop eating the yogurt and switch to a different Protein Shake.< br />
  5. To stop eating creamy soups and eat a broth.< br />

I am NOT a doctor. I'm just relaying information given to me by medical professionals. Katy, I was feeling great today until I ate yogurt and drank a protein shake. Yesterday, I skipped the protein shake and did awesome. Everyone's system is different and I'm just trying to figure out what works for me.

Glad you were able to tolerate the oatmeal~ that's AWESOME!

I hear you about the Walmart incident. I am bored out of my mind but I am exhausted from my trips to my doctor's offices. I'm supposed to return to work on Thursday but my surgeon wants me to wait another week. I now have to ask for another week off!! YIKES.... this is scary!

I must say that I feel SOO much better after being better informed by my doctors this afternoon.

I wish everyone luck on the upcoming surgeries!!! :smile:

What exactly is the dumping? Is that Constipation or the opposite affect?

Hi!! :biggrin:

Dumping Syndrome only occurs in those who undergo gastric bypass. It's the body's reaction to an overload of sugar that one ingests. You may want to google it for a better definition. You won't see it around here b/c it does not pertain to us. It only pertains to those who undergo gastric bypass. Also ask your surgeon and/or nutritionist for more information regarding this, since I'm not a doctor! lol

Take care and good luck!! Keep us updated!! :smile: