Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kind of freaking out here...

So I had my third appointment for my insurance required supervised diet with my PCP and... I gained three pounds!

Now, here is how it's gone overall:

1st appt: up 3lbs (started diet that day)

2nd appt: down 6lbs

3rd appt: up 3lbs

Overall I'm exactly the same weight as I was when I started the process. I was so upset Saturday when I was weighed in because, not to make excuses, but it's 'that time of the month' and I always, always, always pack on Water weight so I KNOW that's what it is- but BCBSIL doesn't know that!

Has anyone ever NOT been approved because they didn't lose, or gained, weight on their insurance required pre-op diet?

Since that was my last appointment my PCP is faxing all of my info to the surgeons office so they can send it to BCBS for approval. I don't want to give them any reason to not approve my surgery!

As far as I know the pre-op diet is to make your fatty liver smaller so the surgery is easier. I was self pay so I do not know all the ends and outs of the insurance but evn self pay people have to do the per-op diet. My surgeon said that most overweight have fatty or swollen livers. They need to lift the liver to get to some of the spots they need to get to during surgery. The diet helps the liver go down. Don't be too hard on yourself! If we all had complete controll over our weight loss why would we being going for the band?

The liver shrinking diet is when I have to go on an all liquid diet for ten days before the surgery. This three month pre-op diet is something my insurance company requires. It is 'Eveidence that comprehensive non-surgical treatment of obesity has been attempted prior to surgical treatment.'

Thanks for your reply!

Oopps! Well doesn't that you are not lossing help support your case that traditional dieting doesn't work for you?

I'm really, really hoping that they see it that way. Actually a co-worker pointed out the same thing- if I had success with traditional dieting, I wouldn't need the lap-band :thumbup:

I am 4 months into my 6 month journy or insurance hoop jumping in other words. My insurance requires a 10% weight loss during the 6 months of classes etc. I am having a really hard time of it right now, especially with the Holidays! I have 15 pounds to go. I am hoping to get lots of support here as well as from my family! Good luck and maybe we can keep each other posted on progress!

My Insurance company needed to see a progression in diet, exxercise and weight loss. Every month I had to eat a little less calories, exercise a little bit more and lose weight every month in order to qualify - otherwise they said I would not be able to follow the lap-band guidelines and food restrictions - no drinking with meal and no "slider" foods, etc....

But then again.... my insurance company seemed to make up new things everytime I submitted.

Good luck and stick with it - you can do this.

I am 4 months into my 6 month journy or insurance hoop jumping in other words. My insurance requires a 10% weight loss during the 6 months of classes etc. I am having a really hard time of it right now, especially with the Holidays! I have 15 pounds to go. I am hoping to get lots of support here as well as from my family! Good luck and maybe we can keep each other posted on progress!

10% seems a little extreme! Sounds like you are dedicated and you've got some support. Keep it up!

Thank you..I just got back from my 4th calss/visit. I am just going to keep plugging along. My doc said if I didn't lose weight this next visit I would have to go on a liquid diet--yuck!!! I am really gonna work at it now!!! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

The supervised diet period is to accomplish multiple things:

- shrink your liver.

- lower the amount of fat around your stomach.

- prove to the insurance company you are willing to change your eating and exercise habits.

- prepare you to modify your eating habits for the rest of your life.

10% is far from extreme over a 3 - 6 month period.

It is not difficult to lose a pound a week. Just cut 500 calories out of your daily diet or else eat the same thing and exercise 30 minutes more a day than usual.

I think most surgeons have patients logging their daily caloric intake and exercise routines. Use these to make even the smallest changes every day.

You can't get upset when you don't lose or when you gain a little but don't try to justify it either.

Thanks to everyone for the positive feed-back. This is kind of a stressful time (as I'm sure anyone in this position would know) and every bit of encouragement really helps.

Don't stress out!!! From what I've observed (I work in the insurance industry, so I hear about this junk ALL day long)..... most companies just want documentation showing that you've attempted weight loss via a medically supervised diet. Whether or not you succeed does not typically matter.

Also, 3lbs is not a huge difference.... my weight fluxuates +/- 5lbs depending on Water weight, etc. Could just be that you were retaining a little extra water, etc.

Don't worry about it or beat yourself up... you're on the right track, you're doing great!!!

And, just because you don't see results on the scale.... doesn't mean that your body isn't benefitting. I used to have a very fatty liver.... I went on my pre-op diet and didn't lose many pounds.... but come surgery day, my doctor said my liver had shrunk and looked TOTALLY healthy. So, there's benefits... they're just not always super obvious.

keep up the good work!!!!!! :tongue: :biggrin: :angel_smile:

Don't stress out!!! From what I've observed (I work in the insurance industry, so I hear about this junk ALL day long)..... most companies just want documentation showing that you've attempted weight loss via a medically supervised diet. Whether or not you succeed does not typically matter.

Also, 3lbs is not a huge difference.... my weight fluxuates +/- 5lbs depending on Water weight, etc. Could just be that you were retaining a little extra water, etc.

Don't worry about it or beat yourself up... you're on the right track, you're doing great!!!

And, just because you don't see results on the scale.... doesn't mean that your body isn't benefitting. I used to have a very fatty liver.... I went on my pre-op diet and didn't lose many pounds.... but come surgery day, my doctor said my liver had shrunk and looked TOTALLY healthy. So, there's benefits... they're just not always super obvious.

keep up the good work!!!!!! :tongue: :biggrin: :angel_smile:

AZSUNSHINE- Thank you so much for your reply!

I've been feeling kind of bummed and nervous and your reply has really made my day :wink_smile: It's nice to hear something so positive, especially from someone in the insurance field!

I was told at my doctors office that some insurances extend the time period to see that you are truly dedicated to the goal of losing weight. I met a lady my pre-op doctors meeting whose insurance required her to do 18 months under a doctors supervision. Her doctor told her that if she missed any weigh in and appointments that they would decline her. I was the same, went up in lbs one month, down the next and then back up. However i did loose 12lbs on the two week pre -op diet. Just got banded yesterday! Good luck with you!