Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Lap Band Buddy / Mentor Approved for surgery January 14!!!!

Hi

I was approved for surgery 1/14/10 at NYU. I am excited and nervous at the same time. Can anyone give me any tips or guide me through my next few weeks before surgery?

Hi Health_Habit

I would say that it took about a month between first appointment and having a surgery date. My initial appointment date was November 2nd. I think it would have gone a little faster but I had to go back to my doctor for a more detailed weight loss information. I was actually given a tentative date during my initial appointment. Good luck!

im getting surgery on the 14th aswell! im nervous too. we will get through this ...hi! im rhasha

Hi rhasha,

Its so good to see someon else having their surgery on the same day as me. :) Have you started your pre surgery diet? It has been a struggle for me so far but I am hoping it will get better as the days go on. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I look forward to making this new change in my life. PM me if you would like to stay connected.

i am supossed to be dieting no more than 30 grams of carbs a day but that isnt happening. i have an apt on the 6th with my sergeon and i know that date he will put me on the liquid diet im kinda scared for that one if im acting up on the low carb diet.but we'll see. what are the foods your sergeon has you on now?

Hi Rhasha

I am on a liquid diet. I get most of my daily calories from protein/meal replacement shakes and I am allowed 2 cups of veggies perday. I am allowed crystal light, diet lemonade, diet ice tea, sugar free ices, sugar free ello low salt broth and coffee. Yesterday was my first day doing the diet it was a struggle. Today seems better than yesterday. I am not thinking so much about what I can't have. I'm sure you will become more focused after you see your doctor. Remember that you want your liver to be in its best shape before surgery. (at least thats what I keep telling myself) It's difficult but we can do it!

i am kinda ready to start this liquid diet.i been thinking about it and i know its gonna be crazy but i to am ready for this life change. so are you from NY? im originally from PA.moved to jacksonville yeeeaarrs ago.my whole family is back in philly.are you a mother?

Hi, I am approved for Surgery on january 15/10 in Canada. I am so looking forward to it, but like you also nervous I am hoping to lose at least 60 lbs. Looking for a lap band buddy or two or three or more

Hi DarkAngel62,

You've come to the right place. Good luck with your surgery on the 15th. Are you currently on liquid diet, if so, how are you doing with it?

Thank you and good luck to all as well. I am starting a high Protein, almost no carbs diet for 10 days starting today. But I guess the liquids will be after the surgery for a month.

Hi

I was approved for surgery 1/14/10 at NYU. I am excited and nervous at the same time. Can anyone give me any tips or guide me through my next few weeks before surgery?

Congrats on your decision to have the LB Surgery. I had mine on 5/11/09 @ NYU as well. The Docs, Nurses and staff are GREAT !

Be strict on the liquid diet. You can do it. I woud have GAS X strips in the house. When you come home, you'll still have a little gas and these strips REALLY help. Walk around the house or apt as much as you can. It makes you feel that much better. Stick to the post op liquids and soft foods as their protocols state. You'll start to see a difference right away. It is truly amazing.....

If you have any questions, drop me a message.........

Good luck.........you're in good hands........:smile2:

Thank you and good luck to all as well. I am starting a high Protein, almost no carbs diet for 10 days starting today. But I guess the liquids will be after the surgery for a month.

Hi Dark Angel

How are you doing with your high Protein diet.? I startig to prepare the stuff I am going t need for after the surgery. I have have to do an all liquid diet for 10 days after surgery, then I can move on to mushy stuff. It's been a challenge to stay with the liquid diet, but I have to say my hardest time with it was the first few days. Everyday that goes by is one day closer to my surgery day.

Congrats on your decision to have the LB Surgery. I had mine on 5/11/09 @ NYU as well. The Docs, Nurses and staff are GREAT !

Be strict on the liquid diet. You can do it. I woud have GAS X strips in the house. When you come home, you'll still have a little gas and these strips REALLY help. Walk around the house or apt as much as you can. It makes you feel that much better. Stick to the post op liquids and soft foods as their protocols state. You'll start to see a difference right away. It is truly amazing.....

If you have any questions, drop me a message.........

Good luck.........you're in good hands........:thumbup:

Hi John 337,

Thanks for the tip on the Gas X strips. I will be sure to have them ready when I get home. I read your profile, you look great, I am so glad that you've have succes with LB. It is good to hear that you have had such a great experience a NYU. I wish I knew what time I was having my surgery. They are supposed to call me the day before to let me know what time to come in.

What do you think was the toughest part of getting the surgery? Do you miss not being able to eat as much food as you used to?

I was just approved for Surgery on the 29th of January, That is a Friday and they told me I could go to work on Monday. WHat have your experiences been?

Thanks