Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing what I think I should be

Hi all,

I am Kim and I had my band placed on 7/6/09 and I have only lost 21 pounds. I really think I should be down about 40 or so by now. Sometimes I can eat and sometimes I can't. Any pointers on how much you have lost and how I can get my weight to fall off. I am 45 and I think my metabolism is dead! :smile2:

Hi, Kim, welcome to LBT. To get a real handle on your calorie intake it is best to journal daily. Taking a brisk walk almost every day will stimulate your metabolism. I understand because I have the metabolism of a slug and counting calories in and exercise out is the only way I made it to goal with no significant plateaus.

Best wishes.

Hi all,

I am Kim and I had my band placed on 7/6/09 and I have only lost 21 pounds. I really think I should be down about 40 or so by now. Sometimes I can eat and sometimes I can't. Any pointers on how much you have lost and how I can get my weight to fall off. I am 45 and I think my metabolism is dead! :smile2:

When you don't eat, your body goes into shut down mode along with your metabolism and you won't lose the weight. You also don't want to stay it one specific calorie count a day because your body will get used to it. Once and awhile you have to eat something with a little more caloric count in order to shock your body. If you aren't exercising you will gradually need to increase your exercise also so that you can burn some calories. Finally make sure that you weigh and measure everything that you eat.

As I am sure you know every one is different in the way they lose weight. But, some things to be checking is your liquid intake, your exercise routine and your Protein intake. Also, be sure you aren't eating a lot of starchy bad carbs right now. Also, have you had your thyroid checked? A simple blood test will tell if it is out of whack. You may want to talk to your surgeon and tell them what your routine and eating habits are and see if they can help you. The first time I plateaued, I called my bariatric surgeon and they told me what to do. Worked like a charm. I had to ramp up my exercise routine, add some more protein and back off of the liquids because I retain Water and have a problem in that area. I began to lose again and never looked back. Good Luck!

Hi Kim,

I was banded on 8/25 and I am currently down 60 lbs....

I agree with the rest of the ladies-- from day 1 I installed an application on my phone (that I have with me at all times) that counted the calories of everything I put in my mouth... like a detailed food diary... I think the most important thing I did also was Protein first.... at every meal I made sure to eat the Protein first...I was very strict about meeting the required grams of protein a day that my surgeon told me to. and EXERCISE!!! the way I looked at it was- if I am gonna do this -- I am gonna do it 100% right-- and give it everything I have.

Also, just to let you know... I also belive what has helped me is the fact that from day 1 of being banded-- I was one of the lucky ones that immediatly had restriction.... infact-- I have only had 2 fills and very small ones at that-- so in a 10 cc band I have 1.5 cc in it... and I am even wondering if that isnt a tad bit too snug to be honest.

I also agree with the other poster-- I vary my calories each day-- which has helped me not plateau-- I also change up my work out routine.... and this is hard because I am very much a "routine" person--- but I have to vary it up at times in order to get results.

I am actually thinking of getting the body bugg to really know the amount of calories I am burning everyday.

Tcarroll: read up on the body bug before getting it. I did and checked out the blogs... one from one of the BL contestants. It's very expensive , you need a computer program with it and you can't use it in the Water.

I found polar watch one that is only 90.00, no computer program and it's waterproof. Not sure how good it will be but 1 of the personal trainers at my gym suggested it. 1/2 my workouts per week are Water (3 water,3 land days) and so I need it for the water as well.

I agree with your advice though... excersies, eat right, water... all the basics none of us did pre op with any regularity. I did not think to change up my routines to increase the burn... I'll have to do that (but I too love my routines).

I think the majority of us have the metabolism of dead snails though- especially those of use in menopause range. It's what we have to work with though and we're all doing it... some a bit faster than others but we're doing it and that's what counts!

The Bodybugg is only $200 and worth every penny of it!!!!

It has helped me immensely. Counting calories makes no sense unless you know how many you are burning as well as eating.

I'm dropping 3-5 pounds a week and haven't been doing what most would consider dieting. Nor have I been banded yet and I owe it all to the Bodybugg.

I'm sure it's wonderful for many.. but not for everybody.

No intent to bash the bug... just relaying information.

knowing what you burn is important but there are a lot of tools out there to asst. in that.

On line they are 245-279.00 - that's a lot of money for most of us and then there is the computer program in addition you must pay for montly... and I talked to a rep. at the co. about alternatives and even if they have a new line coming out that can be used in the water... which they don't.

It's wonderful that it works for you and I would hazard a guess... for many... but it has it's limitations like any other product and for me, not being waterproof is key since indeed I do want to know the calories I burn with my activites.

The polar watch might not work out but it is better suited to my needs and perhaps others out there... since I know a lot on line do Water aerobics and laps due to joint and injury issues.