Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much do you really Exercise??

Ok, how many of you really exercise faithfully, and I mean break a sweat, need a shower kind of exercising?

I do not exercise more than a few long walks a week, and am seeing good weightloss... I realize this wil probably slow up soon. But what I am trying to understand is doesn't the restriction and eating less simply enough to make the difference in losing weight consistently?

Thanks

Edited by Patterba

You could be opening a can of worms here.LOL

The approved view is that you should exercise, exercise has lots of benefits other than just weight loss.

Personally I don't exercise. I do incidental exercise in that I try to be fairly active during the day. Sometimes I go for a walk. Rarely I will jump on my exercise bike but (hanging head in shame) that's it!

It will open a can of worms, lol. I'm pretty hardcore about this, and I think that depends on how much you inherently like exercise. People get really shirty about it because, well, the truth hurts I guess. They dont like to be told that their nice easy routine is not going to give them the same benefits as something more challenging.

Not that walking isnt beneficial! Can you consistently lose weight with eating less and a couple of walks a week?. For sure. It will slow and if you're really heavy, you probably wont get to a normal weight just doing this, it simply wont be enough long term. It also wont really give you what I'd term "fitness", although it has loads of health benefits and will keep you generally healthy, so if its what you like doing and all you want to do, go for it and dont torture yourself thinking you should do more. You can definitely get your BMI from 45 to 29, size 24 to 14 type results with this sort of routine. That might be all you ever want to achieve and Healthwise, that's stellar! Your cardiologist would be mighty pleased with you and your life will be longer and richer as a result.

But if you want to reach a low BMI, like under 25, you want a good muscular toned body and to minimise flab from your weight loss, and if you really want to rev your metabolism so that weight maintenance is absolutely effortless and you can pretty much eat normally (your new normal, but still pretty much like other people, with some carbs, some treats, a bit of alcohol occasionally) then you will need more.

I do sweat inducing, heart rate in the 80% max plus range, bootcamp and running style workouts five or six times a week. My easy days are a 4 mile jog in about 35 minutes, my hard days are full on boot camp, tons of sprinting, body weight stuff like chin ups, pushups, squats, lunges etc. The fitness its given me has given me an energy and vitality that walking could never ever come close to, I am a human dynamo now and I get SO much done in a day, and never get tired. Its awesome. I have great muscle tone, really nicely shaped upper body and I guess I've done the best I can with my well cushioned rear, my stomach is flat as a pancake, I can wear a bikini and look good in it at almost 43 years old AFTER 3 babies, my skin glows, what more can I say really. I cant recommend this sort of exercise enough, it pays handsome rewards and will make your weight loss and particularly maintenance journey much much much easier. But it takes a bit of willpower before you can learn to love it. I actually crave it now, to me walking is just a nice pasttime but not really exercise.

Edited by Jachut

Jachut,

I think I need to hire you as my personal trainer.. got any openings?

The exercise videos just don't engage me, I think I need someone like you or Jillian from TBL to get on my case...

Your success is very impressive, but you are probably the exception and an excellent role model..

I think my mental block is where to start, I can walk pretty well, but no jogging or running just yet.. knees are just starting to come back after many years of being tormented by my weight.

Thanks for the post.. very motivation..

It will open a can of worms, lol. I'm pretty hardcore about this, and I think that depends on how much you inherently like exercise. People get really shirty about it because, well, the truth hurts I guess. They dont like to be told that their nice easy routine is not going to give them the same benefits as something more challenging.

I am curious...what was your starting weight and your initial workout routine?

I'm two years out now. The first year and a half I went faithfully to Water aerobics 3 or 4 times a week. The last 6 months I've gone less and less. Just not into it anymore. I HATE to admit that, and wish I could "kick my own butt", but that's the truth of it. While I haven't gained anything... I'm flabby and can feel the sluggishness creeping in. I'm pretty disgusted with myself. I just need to find another exercise I enjoy. I burned out on water aerobics, but with my arthritis, it's hard to do.

For about a month now, I've been exercising religiously.. I am 3 months out from my surgery. I started with walking, doing the walk at home videos, and moved up to add other things to it. I still do the walk at home video every night (different distance depending on my mood) and then do another work out with it. I use resistance bands for my lower body, Kettlebells for my arms, kickboxing, and I've just started the Jillian Micheals' 30 day shred. It is pretty intense for someone just starting out, but I do feel much better.

In the month, I've noticed that my skin seems to be tightening up some.. I guess it is the toning that is going on under the skin. I'm starting to see some muscles peeking out from under the fat. I feel 100% better. I rest better at night and I have more energy during the day.

It is going to be a complete addition to my new lifestyle. I spent the first 37 years of my life being fat and lazy.. I'm over it.. now I want to spend the next 37 years fit and active.

I am curious...what was your starting weight and your initial workout routine?

I started at 245ish, 5ft 10, BMI 36. I freely admit, I had some fitness, I hadnt done much for quite a few years other than walking (which never helped me to shed any weight) and I was sporadic about that, not committed to it. But I definitely had muscle memory and had been active when I was younger.

I'd also had gym memberships on and off over the years and I *could* run for a few minutes at a time and definitely could handle walking on a treadmill for 40 mins or so but I had a chronic heel problem, with very painful bursitis, which is what prompted me to have the surgery. I could feel my ability to be active slipping away.

I started on the elliptical due to my heel, doing 30 mins on that 3 times a week or so a few months before surgery, and building up in intensity from very very light to quite challenging. I used an interval trainign program called cardio coach on my MP3 (www.cardiocoach.com) which was mighty effective!

After surgery, i went for a walk next day and walked for a few weeks. Then I went back to the elliptica for another couple of weeks. Being realistc, I realised I wouldnt continue to go to the gym, I needed to do something more convenient. I went out to try a short jog and amazed myself by jogging 3kms that night. I limited myself strictly to having a day off in betweeen and building SLOWLY so that I didnt injure my heel (which had by now had cortisone shot into it and was feeling good). I signed up for a few races a bit later on, gradually training for longer distances.

I was really into my running for 3 years or so and it got me to goal weight, but I realised that if I wanted the body I dreamed of, I simply had to mix it up a bit and do a lot more strenght and toning work, so I took up circuit training as well, and now do boot camp too. I run for my "easy" days as a reward of the vomit inducing effort I put in at the torture otherwise known as boot camp, lol.

Honestly, my progression was very slow and steady, something well within the abilities of nearly everyone. Its simply a matter of starting with what you can do but not allowing yourself to take it too easy, to constantly challenge yourself to build up.

I agree it has to begin slowly and you have to work yourself up to it but it has been so beneficial to me in so many more ways than just the weight loss. It feels so good to sweat and get the toxins out of you and It gets my mind off of everything and I completely zone out when I am exercising. When I began, I could only walk the treadmill flat for about .25 miles. Now, I am on an incline and up to 3.5 miles a day and I am weight training right after. I am going to a fitness trainer today to help me get rid of the middle section which I can't seem to thin out. They say it is the last thing to go and mine is just sticking around literally. I hate it and want it gone. Anyway, I continue to increase my routine as my body allows and I am also suprised at how easy it becomes to add a little more. I try to add more weekly and intensify my routine. It makes a world of difference in how I feel, how full I stay and how I sleep. It has really helped my sleeping a great deal.

Yes, I definitely agree that Jachut is something to aspire too. (No pressure, haha) But seriously exercise the right should be built up like that. Quite frankly if you do want mediocre results, you have to put in mediocre effort. Right now I'm very close to goal and don't work out. I have been doing floor exercises for the last few months however. The youth is on my side when losing, however being overweight like I was messed up my knees big time. Even at my weight I have weak knees, and I did have problems with a severe Vitamin D deficiency and couldn't absorb Calcium. I do want to run, I haven't run for probably 4 years, but I swear...I have the biggest urge to just run...just because I can now. I'm working up to it to because I know how I work. And I"m the first to admit I'm a lazy pile...so I know if I want this to stick, I have to take little steps...that's what I did with my eatting...I used to eat fast food three times a day, and probably eat a whole bag of candy 2 or 3 times a week(as in ONE sitting). My appetite was uncontrollable, but now with the band I've cut out most white breads, carbs...red meat only a few times a week...more vegetables...This might be where a lot of people started out but I was the worst eatter ever...and quite frankly I'm really proud that I can have one bite of chocolate and be satisfied and just put the rest down.

And another thing: My mom has congestive heart failur and was 340 lbs for many years, she has smoked for 80% of her life....(she's stubborn and irritating and won't quit...but) she had an appointment the other day and the cardiologist said her heart improved by 5%...know why? Dancing...like hardcore, sweat-my-ass-off, can't-stand-the-next-day dancing...may not be running a mile....but it just shows that breaking a sweat is really beneficial...K I'm done blabbing:tt2:

I am working myself up to serious exercise. Right now I am doing the treadmill 30min workouts plus lower body weights three times a week. I have to wait a few more weeks before I can work out my upper body. At some point, I hope to get back to Water aerobics, which I really like. I find that I have to go someplace. I have all kinds of stuff I can work out with at home, but don't do it. If I go to the Y, I will do it.

I started curves 1 month after my banding on 4/2/09- Until 1 month ago I went to curves 3-4 times a week (30 min). I started a new job and my schedule now only allows me to go 1-2 times a week. About 1 month ago I also started a Zumba class and attend 2 45 minute classes on Thursday pm and 2 45 min classes on Saturday am. THIS KICKS MY BUTT!!!!!! and made me realize that Curves isnt doing enough for me- I have lost about 12 lbs just from Zumba...

I have friends that dont do didly squat for exercise and have not had as good results with their weight loss as I have and therefore I firmly beleive that exercise is the key...

Part of my new years resolution is to join a regular gym now that I am able to "keep up" and dont feel so self conscious about what I am doing...

3-5 days a week. I have changed my life and being a 'gym rat' is now part of it! Feels fabulous, I tell you.

I started at 282 almost two years ago. I was walking two days after surgery and started Curves by two months out. By five months, I was running and still doing Curves. I lost all of my weight in a year and have kept it off. I now do several weight training classes week, kickboxing, cycling ... you name it.

My stress is lower AND (bonus) I look better than I ever have at 41 with a 10 year old. Just do it .. you made this choice .. no choose your next step and commit to some sort of exercise. If walking is what you stick with, go forth and put one foot in front of the other!

Keep up the good work!!

I started at 245ish, 5ft 10, BMI 36. I freely admit, I had some fitness, I hadnt done much for quite a few years other than walking (which never helped me to shed any weight) and I was sporadic about that, not committed to it. But I definitely had muscle memory and had been active when I was younger.

Honestly, my progression was very slow and steady, something well within the abilities of nearly everyone. Its simply a matter of starting with what you can do but not allowing yourself to take it too easy, to constantly challenge yourself to build up.

thank you for sharing this. in all honesty (and this is in no way a flame), i think responding along these lines is much more helpful to someone (like me) at the start of their journey than your original "hardcore" (your words) balls to the wall (my words) initial response.

the jillian michaels routine doesn't work for everybody and it is much easier to swallow when you know that jillian michaels was a chubby kid than to have her screaming down your face to get off your fat ass. that is just me and like i said in no way a flame to you....

Oh, I get that. I'm enthusiastic, not really meaning to bust anyone's ass, I just feel so great about it and its done so much for me that I want everyone to have that in their lives.

But, I *was* lucky. I was an unfit slug but I was in helluvalot better shape and much much lighter than many people, which is why I also tend to get really riled about the people dont deserve surgery below a BMI of 35 posts too. Much much much better to tackle an obesity problem at this level than when you're body's half ruined from the strain of years at a really high weight.