Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did you take off work?

I was just wondering for those of you who have been banded already, how long did you take off of work and how long did you need assistance at home? My husband is wondering how long he also needs to take off of work to help me. Any guidance would be helpful.

I had my surgery on a Wednesday and was back to work the followign Monday. My husband was also back to work on Monday.

I went to work for a half day on my surgery day, then took the following day off, then went back Thursday! My husband also got the band with me, so my father in law came and took care of us until Sunday.

I was just wondering for those of you who have been banded already, how long did you take off of work and how long did you need assistance at home? My husband is wondering how long he also needs to take off of work to help me. Any guidance would be helpful.

I went back to work the next day (desk work) and then worked in my warehouse from the 2nd day on, although within my lifting restrictions. My husband took my day of surgery off, but that was it. I really didn't need any 'caretaking'.

I took 2 weeks off. I was sick the first few days after surgery, and then I was just weak. I didn't want to drive an hour each way, I just didn't feel like I had the energy. I was lucky that I had plenty of sick time saved up.

My husband took one week off to help me.

I was banded on a Tues. and back to work the next Mon. I really didnt need any help while off. The most helpful think my sister did for me was remember what the nurse said before discharge. I was hurting so bad, I didnt remember anything she said the next day.

I recently got banded on December 4th. I took 10 days off of work to return on the 15th however on day 7 I actually felt well enough to go back to work but it was a weekend so will wait till the orginally planned day.

I understand everybody is different but there is no way I could have went back to work anymore than 5 days after surgery.

I went back Day-5 to my desk job. I felt a lot better than being at home laying around with limited walking space.

I would like to ask if anyone work unloading trucks. I left 50 to 75 lb. box's every other day. Would like to know how long you had to take off of work please. :thumbup: Thank You

Procedure done on Friday as outpatient, home by noon. So obviously I took Friday off.

I took Monday off too. I was still taking the pain meds and they made me really sleepy.

Tuesday I worked from home. Once I figured that was fine, I decided to go back to the office on Wednesday. It was fine.

So my doc requires Clear liquids for one week following surgery then weeks 2 and 3 are on full liquids.< /p>

He also give you a note for two weeks off so you can rebuild strength and energy since you will be on a liquid diet.

I have been given a restriction to not lift anything over 10lbs for 2 weeks and then nothing over 25lb for 7 weeks after that.

My parents are coming in to take care of me and my dog(over 10lbs) basically. They want to be here and I want them here, everything is better when I have my parents around me.

My mom will cook up some mushies and my dad will walk the dog his 3 daily walks which are about an hour each.

My surgery is next Tuesday and the followng week is a 3 day week for us so I'm only off work 7 days.

Tina

I had my surgery Monday (12/7) and I am going back to work Tuesday (12/15). I work a desk job, but I'm not sure I will have the energy for a full day, even then. My 'honey' took off 3 days to help me w/ sitting up and laying down and fixing me liquids to "eat", etc. To those of you who were back on your feet and back at work in a day or two KUDOS to you b/c I simply would NOT have been able to physically do it.

DOLLLADY - as I mentioned, I work a desk job and my surgeon's instructions were for me not to lift anything over 10 lbs for a month. With the heavy lifting your job entails, you should definitely get advice from your doctor before assuming your normal work duties.

I was banded Wed. 11.25 and was back to work at my desk job the following Monday. The first 2 days I did nothing but sleep and needed by husband there to give me my meds and Water, etc. I would've liked to have taken that Monday off as well, but did okay with the pain meds.

Every day I got a little better. Good luck to you!

i took 2 weeks off I had vacation time and state dissability and aflac only pay after the first week. So by the time i was back to work i had 3 checks in the mail not too bad if y ou ask me. Oh yeah i could have gone back after the first week but I'm glad i didnt.

Everybody is different. I needed 6 days including surgery day. I am older and have diabetes and it took the wind out of my sails. Luckily I have a desk job. My surgery was on Friday and I took the following work week off so that gave me 2 weekends to add to the recovery. 10 days total. I was very tired the 1st week back and would of enjoyed 1/2 days but that wasnt possible.

Linda

weight.png