Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What happens when you fill your band to the max?

I have read a lot of posts about having a 9cc, 14cc bands and I was wondering how many fills could the bands possibly take? is it possible to fill it all the way and still not get the restriction you need...I just dont get it? Sorry I am new to this and my first eval is tomorrow...

my band hold 5 cc's and I'm almost full and my restriction is just about perfect.

But, everyone is different.

I had to have my band filled beyond the stated max for long lasting good restriction. My doctor did the fill under fluoro and measured my band pressure, and I was still within a normal range, albeit, on the high side of normal. I've had great restriction for several months now.

Doesn't restriction wear off sometimes? what if you loose that restriction, and you happen to need another fill and you are already at your max, what happens then? It just scares me to think that the Lapband is not going to work for me. I have my eval today and I have tons of questions....I have never had surgery in my life and its a little scary.

Once you're getting close to good restriction, it takes very small adjustments to keep it. That's after you've lost the fat pad around your stomach, and when swelling isn't giving you temporary restriction. My last fill in August was only .5 cc, and in all likelihood, at some point, I'll need a little top off because your band does lose a bit of Fluid over time. I would think maybe in the .25 cc range.

Right now, I wouldn't consider another fill. I can still eat just about all foods (even the not so band friendly foods), I stay satisfied for 4+ hours on 1/2 cup solid meals (three/day plus a healthy snack), and I have no symptoms of reflux, pb'ing, sliming, etc. The only reason I'd go back for a little top off is if I start getting hungry within two hours after a meal. I'm losing slowly now, but I'm fine with that, because I know I'm eating healthy, I'm working out several days/week, and sometimes the body just hangs on to the pounds for some reason. I'm losing inches still, because my clothes are getting loser, and I'm tightening my belt. As long as I'm staying satisfied between my doctor prescribed meals, I'm happy.

Edited by kiz

I asked my surgeon the same thing. I have the AP large, which holds 12-14 cc. He said he's filled one (not in a patient, but just to see) with more than 60cc! He's never had a patient max out their band, so no worries.

Amy

I have excellent restriction, I am almost too tight in fact. Currently I have 6.2 ccs in my band which holds 10 ccs. So I am definitely not worried about being filled to the max!!!

I don't know what size band I have and how much is in there. My dr doesn't give that info out for whatever reason. I went to get a fill this past Monday and he was only able to put in a very little amount. He said that the band was kicking back Fluid into the needle, so I don't know if I'm filled to the max. I do feel some restriction depending on what foods I eat.

I was banded 7/14/09, with 18lbs down and 120lbs to go, got a decent (not sweet spot though) restriction only with my last fill. Currently have 10.5cc in my 10cc band. That's the question for my next doc visit. Was gonna ask it last time but forgot.

I asked my surgeon the same thing. I have the AP large, which holds 12-14 cc. He said he's filled one (not in a patient, but just to see) with more than 60cc! He's never had a patient max out their band, so no worries.

Amy

O wow, thats good to know....thanks!

remodelingme:

You were banded on 7/14/09 and you are already up to 10.5cc, how many fills have you had?

remodelingme:

You were banded on 7/14/09 and you are already up to 10.5cc, how many fills have you had?

here is my story so far:

Just keep in mind that I'm as healthy/active as person of my weight can be and I had a better-than-textbook after-surgery recovery.

-Sept: first fill 5cc - no restriction 5lbs loss due to will power

-Oct: second fill 4cc - no restriction (9cc total in 10cc band) 4 lbs loss due to will power

-major freaking out on my side - band is almost full and no restriction

-Nov 19: third fill 2.5cc under fluoro (11.5 total in 10cc band) - definitely overfill. Was ok while in doc office but couldn't keep food nor Water down starting next morning for 3 days.

-Nov 23: unfill 1.00 cc (10.5cc total in 10cc band) - BUNGO, decent not-perfect-but-good-for-now restriction.

-I plan to go back for small fill (like .25-.5 or so in Jan)

5 cc's to start out with...wow! Me I had my eval yesterday, in which I did all my bloodwork, and an EKG...On Jan 27th I have to go back to see the surgeon and the Nutritionist, I have to schedule the Mental Health visit. I am a little nervous about this whole procedure, I just dont want to fail...I have failed at soooooo many diets, all I keep doing is putting on the weight.

Others have posted information relevant to this. Specifically, some Realize banders have said that their doctors have told them that they can be filled to 11ccs in their Realize bands (which supposedly have a capacity of 9ccs).

First fills will vary dramatically from doc to doc. Some are quite conservative, giving only .5 to 1cc. My doc gave me 4cc on top of .6cc that was remaining in my band after they tested it in the operating room. And, that was too much. I was so tight I couldn't swallow my own spit and had 1cc removed that same day. And if you're too tight at some point and have an unfill, that doesn't mean that a later fill that goes past that point would be too much. I'm now at my sweet spot at 5.8ccs (I have a 10cc band).

One thing my doctor emphasized to me that even once I hit my sweet spot, I should come in at least once every 6 months because I might need a small fill to "top off". Right now, I'm going 6 to 7 weeks between visits but I haven't had a fill since early August, and had a .2cc unfill in early October.

Amy

my doctor said the same thing and that's why he doesn't keep record on how many cc he gives you. he says he gives fill based on individual responds and haven't had anyone max out yet