Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SIL - Single Incision Lapband

I had the SIL as well. I was banded in Columbia Missouri at the University Hospital. Also a teaching hospital. That seems to be the common denominator, if you were banded at a teaching hospital. My port is right to the left of my belly button. I can feel it. It's literally right under my skin. The upside, fills are a breeze. My doc said that it depends on your age, how many children you've had and how much scar tissue you would have in abdomen form various things. I have no kids and have only had one abdominal surgery and it was laproscopic, so he told me in my consult I was excellent candidate for the SIL. I have the incision in my belly button, the one (literally less than half an inch long) on my upper abdomen where I'm sure is where he inserted the band. I was banded on June 16th 2009. I'm down 45 pounds and seemed to have reached a plateau, but hopefully I'll start losing again soon.

Yes teaching university; lower BMI; and for the record I've never had any children. The upper abdomen incision is about 1/4 inch and it is for the liver retractor so they can pull it up and get it out of the way - watch the video I mentioned its cool.... Here it is I found it

YouTube - single incision lap band

I had surgery 11/20 with Dr. Michael Snyder in Denver. Also had the SILS. One cut in the belly button area which is great because once healing is complete you won't even see it. Two very minor incisions under my chest. Not sure what they are for, maybe like another poster said for liver assistance and also port placement as my port is very close to one of these. They will probably fade away to nothing as they are tiny. Very happy.

Yes it does appear this is a very new procedure. Surgeon told me at initial consult that he would only be doing one and then the minors cuts.

I have to say though..I'd be a little hesitant to go to any surgeon that tells you "I'm new to this". I ensured that the surgeon I picked was well researched and experienced before committing. You are with your surgeon and practice for life. Just think about that.

I also had the SIL procedure. Was banded by Dr. Kurian at NYU. I was told that because I didn't hold most of my weight up top, I qualified for the surgery (pear shaped). I don't think it necessarily has to be related to BMI. I was 316 when she first looked at my stomach and said I may qualify. I was 293 on surgery day. Dr. Kurian also said it also depends on how things look on the inside, if they can't reach everything with the tools through the one incision, then they have to make more incisions. I am glad I ended up with one. Only thing that makes me nervous is I can't find my port. Dr. found it during my first appointment and let me feel it. But I haven't found it again on my own. Paranoid that it flipped because I've had "weird"pain lately that comes and goes. First fill isn't till 12/14. I called the Dr. and they told me to make sure I was having sufficient BM's. If I still have the pain, they said I could come in earlier and get checked out.

Edited by melloways

I also have a SIL..i was banded on 11/23 by NY bariatric group at Mercy hospital by Dr Holover. At first i was supposed to get a traditional 5 incision.. but on surgery table he decided he can do a single incision. I am a little unsure about the quick healing process and single incision.. i had A LOT more gas than the girl next to me who had 5 incisions. My incision is just above my belly button... and is currently infected.. i am assuming from all the friction from my pants.. who knows. I have no idea where my port is.. it could be just under the incision cause i feel a lump...however, i don't know if that is a puss pocket or the port.. guess i'll find out on dec 30th.. i think i will be getting a fill then.

Did you have a esophagram yet? I had one nine days after my procedure. I am due for a fill on the 13th. You hit the nail on the head when you spoke of eating slower. At times I forget when I am drinking Water or eating my potatoes and I get a reality check, that hiccup, lol.

You should definitely ask all the questions you can when you go back on the 30th. I found out where my port is located and that tiny incision on the top of my stomach was to secure that my liver is safely away from the palcement of the band. My port is next to my belly button. What are they doing about the infection?

You should definitely ask all the questions you can when you go back on the 30th. I found out where my port is located and that tiny incision on the top of my stomach was to secure that my liver is safely away from the palcement of the band. My port is next to my belly button. What are they doing about the infection?

yea, i'm going to ask some more questions on the 30th. Dr gave me an antibiotic. i have to crush it and take 2 X a day. the incision seems to be healing.. thank god. but sooo itchy