Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Went to vegetarian and now at a stand still.

Hi, I was banded last July, and I had lost 60 then gained it all back with a bad fill. I went nearly completely vegetarian (only fish and occasionally chicken) and that helped me lost 21 pounds, which is so f**king depressing. Is there anything, other than complete starvation, that I can do that has helped?

I work out everyday for twenty minutes: one mile walk

I only eat when I'm hungry or faint, and it's often two times a day with the normal full feeling after it hits the band.

I'm stressing out too because my body has shifted, I've gained a roll, and I still have lost two sizes. I was much sexier at the larger weight, shape-wise. Can't afford the reconstructive surgery after my goal weight is reached, either.

Any tips?

Would it be possible for you to have a consultation with a dietitian? I also wonder if your band isn't too tight since you're only eating two meals/day. I know it's calories in/calories out, but I'm concerned that you're not getting proper nutrition based on your post. I'm not a nutritionist, but from the little I know, it's important to keep our bodies fed to keep insulin levels and other functions running properly. During your two meals, are you eating large portions and/or making unhealthy choices? Also, are you grazing throughout the day due to hunger?

It's great that you're walking daily, and regardless of whether you're losing, that is very good for you. Congratulations on your dedication, because I know it's easy to give up when you don't see results on the scale.

I really think you need to get your band at a fill level that you can eat a minimum of three meals/day. Many plans also call for at least one healthy snack, and some plans call for more but smaller meals.

Regarding the loose skin, chances are you're going to be faced with that as you lose the weight. With the amount you need to lose, you may find that you have a medical necessity to have a Tummy Tuck that will be covered by health insurance. If you have recurrent infections under the skin rolls, be sure and have them documented by your doctor. Also, remind yourself that flabby skin won't shorten your life, but fat will.

Good luck, and with some tweaking of your fill level and meal plan, I'm positive you can get back on track. You obviously have the drive to make this a success.

Edited by kiz

Kiz gave you some good advice and I hope you will look into it. When you don't eat on a regular basis, the body goes into starvation mode and you won't lose. In fact, you may even gain some b/c the body is protecting itself.

It may take more than just a one mile walk...you might have to increase your distance. Most people that are losing regularly are walking at least four miles a day.

I don't quite understand how you gained it all back with a bad fill however. Could you explain? At any rate, you have lost it before and you can do it again. It just takes a lot of hard work and then more hard work.

I went to a bad doctor, basically. I told them I needed a fill and they dismissed me saying that I was doing fine. I mean, at that time I wasn't doing fine because I was still able to eat pretty regular meals and had NOT been filled. I had changed living locations, and that was the reason why I went to another doctor. Plus, I hadn't ever had a surgery like that and my body was getting used to the shock, so I think that's why I dropped so much the first six months. Then I gained it all back.

I tried following the guide they gave us and I just got really disgusted by beef and pork after a while, so I tried vegetarianism with fish and chicken. I drink 3-7 bottles of Water a day (16 fl. oz), have cut out almost all sugar (exception is natural sugars) and don't eat anything that is a starch or carb.

My doctor said it was fine to not eat, so I guess I should start forcing myself. Except, sometimes, when I do force myself I get really nauseous and just can't eat.

I'm sorry you had such a rough start, but it's not too late to make your band work.

The first thing you're going to have to do is to set a lap band food plan - either with a dietitian or with your food guidelines. With good restriction, my meals are three 1/2 cup meals heavy on solid Protein followed by vegetables, if room fruit, and then starches. Obviously, I don't have a lot of wiggle room for fruit and veggies, so I try to incorporate them into my snack. The 1/2 cup meals are my doctor's recommendation and also the recommendation on the Realize Band website (I have the Realize Band). I have a 4 oz pouch and with good restriction, I stay fully satisfied for four or more hours after a meal.

I rarely have beef, maybe twice a week. I mostly eat chicken, fish, and eggs for Protein. I have pork on rare occasions too, but neither pork nor beef are a mainstay foods in my diet.

If you're going vegetarian, I'm sure you can get some great ideas for meals in the LBT nutrition section, but you just need to make sure you're not relying on slider foods that don't give longterm satiety.

I can only give you advice based on my doctor's recs, but he wants our band to be adjusted to where we can eat three 1/2 cup meals, one healthy snack, and plenty of Fluid in between meals (stopping 1/2 hour prior to eating and starting 45 mins after a meal). Some people have problems eating in the morning, and the NP that leads our support group said to be sure and start the day off with a low carb high Protein shake to get the metabolism moving in that case. I can eat, so that's not been an issue for me. If you find you can't eat your doctor's recommended meal which often leads to eating slider foods, he may want to take a tiny bit of saline out.

If you're getting hungry when eating those 1/2 cup meals (ex. meal - 3 oz chicken, 1 oz broccoli) in less than two or three hours, you need a fill. I don't want to come off as saying my doctor's way is the only way though. Being a bit heavier than me, your doctor may have your band looser because you should be able to eat bigger meals and still lose weight. But, I wasn't sure if you were given clear instructions on how to get the most from your band.

It's very important not to throw in the towel. Now, that you have a better doctor (at least I hope he's better), I'm sure if you made an appointment with him and gave him detailed information on your diet, how well you're able to tolerate solid food, and how often you're hungry, he'd be able to get you back on track.

Edited by kiz

I would just like to claify something. A vegetarian is somebody who DOES NOT EAT meat. This includes fish and chicken. So if you even occasionally eat fish or chicken, you ARE NOT a vegetarian....not even close!

If you choose to only eat fish as your only animal meat, then you are a PESCATARIAN.

Being a true vegetarian, this offends me when people eat meat and call themselves a vegetarian, or say they follow a vegetarian diet.

My observations:

1. Are you eating at least 60 grams of Protein per day?

2. You should be drinking at least 64 oz of Water a day.

3. You may need to up your exercise to 2 or 3 miles per day.

4. Lastly, and probably most difficult, if you haven't found a doctor you can work with do it now. You may be too full. Or you may just need the accountability!

5. You likely need the assistance of the dietician to work out a strong meal plan.

I would just like to claify something. A vegetarian is somebody who DOES NOT EAT meat. This includes fish and chicken. So if you even occasionally eat fish or chicken, you ARE NOT a vegetarian....not even close!

If you choose to only eat fish as your only animal meat, then you are a PESCATARIAN.

Being a true vegetarian, this offends me when people eat meat and call themselves a vegetarian, or say they follow a vegetarian diet.

WOW, I truely don't think she was trying to "offend" anyone.

WOW, I truely don't think she was trying to "offend" anyone.

Intentional or not, like I said, I was claifying the meaning of a vegetarian. Vegetarianism is a lifestyle that people choose for various personal reasons, and when you change your entire lifestyle for a particular reason, you tend to stand by what you believe in. Let me give you an example. If I were to donate money one time (say $20), to a charity of my choosing, yet never did any volunteer work, would I be entitled to call myself a professional philanthropist? No. And I'm sure that the true philanthropists might be offended that someone would call themselves such, given all that they do for other people.