Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hair loss and old age lines!

Well, it finally happened to me. I'd stumbled upon many threads about Hair loss, and thought that I would be one of those who was spared.

I am so sad :wink2:

Four months post op, my hair is falling out in gobs. It is now noticable -to me at least.

What is the reason (I've heard so many different theories)? And, most importantly, can it be Stopped!? How? In what amount of time?

Also, I actually knew this one would happen to me because I've always looked much younger than my age (54). I loved the compliments, but knew the reason was mainly because my face was so chubby.

Now, when I look in the mirror...

I am so sad :tongue2:

I have lines around my lips and on my neck.

What to do? I've even thought about cosmetic surgery.

Wait on the surgery until you lose all your weight. hair loss is due to lack of Protein. Eat more Protein.< /p>

Don't stress too much about all of this...you're going to be thinner!

I hear ya. I have a glob of hair come out each morning when I take a shower. I have to remove all the loose hair from my brush every couple days.

I'm lucky I have a LOT of hair, otherwise I'd be bald by now!

I have always gotten compliments also about looking younger than I am. My hair is thinning also. I was told that this would happen during the first six months. but I will increase my Protein and go back to basics. Im 3 months out and have only lost 32 lbs. I have to do better. but Im never full and always hungery. even after my 2nd fill, I still feel as if I never had one

I am getting between 60 and 90 grams of Protein a day, so it's not always just protein. That seems to be the favorite answer. I also take two Biotin tables and all the Vitamins blah blah blah they told me to take everyday. I think if you are one of the unlucky ones to have this happen you just are and there is not much you can do about it except ride it out and see what happens.

You are not alone in either of your issues. I began losing my hair at 4 months post op. Just like you, I thought maybe I had dodged the bullet but no, I didn't. My hair is still falling out like crazy several months later. The loss is not due to lack of Protein in the diet as some speculate. I eat more Protein now then I ever have. I take Biotin and other Vitamins and am not deficient in anything.

I also feel your pain in regards to my face looking older now that its thinner. I guess we have to take the good with the bad huh?

Save your money on surgery and wait until you are done losing your weight. Perhaps you can find a surgeon that will give you a package deal. This is what I am hoping for.

Take care and don't sweat the small stuff,

Donna

Im 4 months out too and I am losing hair like crazy. I went to my physician and she recommended fish oil. (lack of Protein once again) So I will let yall know if this works!

Honestly, I think the Protein theory is a load of crap. I, toom thought I would be spared, but at 4 months my hair started coming out by the handfuls. I lost hair for about 6 months and then it magically stopped. I tried increasing Protein and Biotin and nothing worked. I don't even believe it was the large weight loss because I had lost more then 100 lbs before and this didn't happen.

For the good news, I stopped shedding and my hair is back better than ever. As far as the lines, they get better, too. Keep moisturizing and look for a good one that "firms" your skin. I use it on my neck, too. Your skin does "catch up" somewhat as the weight loss slows down.

Cindy

Ditto what CW said. For some, the Hair loss just happens. Be patient, don't panic, it will all come to an end. I notice also that my hair came back looking better. I do think that the mega-dose of Bioton I have taken since b/4 LB surgery has done wonders for my nails and hair. Never hurts to try it.

I am 54 and have been at goal for a year. I remember looking in the mirror and almost jumping back....I felt that my face looked distorted. Well, happy to tell you I grew back into most of it. I used a good moisturizer daily on face and neck. The chicken neck is almost all gone and the face has really tightened up. Give it some time.

Also, we have to realize we have been heavy for quite some time and we are not going to have the same face after weight loss.

Good luck!

It will grow back!!! I am a hair dresser and have been for many years. (I am noticing the lines and wrinkles too) As for the Hair loss, I believe you can stop it in 30 days with Nioxin Shampoo and Nioxin Scalp Therapy. Simple shampoo and conditioner. It works by really cleaning the skin and removing the deposits of old products. Of course these old products are not the reason you are losing it in the first place, but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this helps grow healthy hair. You are likely losing some more than before, but you have to realize that 100 hairs a day naturally fall out of everybody's head. If your hair was thick, it is likely more and if your hair is long, this looks like a bunch of hair. Get some Nioxin and don't worry. I wish I knew what to do about the lines and wrinkles too. Let me know if you figure it out!!!!

. I do think that the mega-dose of Bioton I have taken since b/4 LB surgery has done wonders for my nails and hair. Never hurts to try it.

Good luck!

How much did you take? Thanks!

PS>>You look great!

4 months seems to be the magic number. I am losing my hair as well, at an almost alarming rate! Being that I already have thin hair, it is quite devastating. When I asked the dr about it being Protein or taking boitin, I was told it is a common reaction to the anesthesia from the surgery, and my best friend also said she learned about that when she was in school to be a nutrition. Anyone else hear the same thing?

The good news is everyone says it eventually stops. I hope so, Im ready to invest in some Rogaine!

Yea I too am losing my hair at alarming rates. I have a ton of hair and could stand to have my hair thinned out however this is nuts the amount I lose daily...I do mean daily by the hands full and again I am also in my 4th month post op...I keep telling my self this too shall pass...