Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions and things

Hello All!

I'm still on the waiting train...choo choo

My surgeon should have finally recieved my psych approval today. The person I saw had some computer problems and was 3 weeks delayed in sending my approval over.

I have my final diet appointment with my PCP on the 21st. And then we send in for approval.

I'm thinking that I won't have surgery until January. I wa really hopeing for November but I think that's just too quick and December is so hectic with the holidays, should I really do it then?

So here are my questions -

What is the average recovery time? and by that I mean how much time should I take off from work? Should I apply for STD, just incase?

What can I tell people at work? I work with some nasty people and I want to keep my surgery to myself. I really don't want to hear all of their comments...

Thanks all!

So here are my questions -

What is the average recovery time? and by that I mean how much time should I take off from work? Should I apply for STD, just incase?

What can I tell people at work? I work with some nasty people and I want to keep my surgery to myself. I really don't want to hear all of their comments...

Thanks all!

Not sure on the recovery time, perhaps a week if you have an office - sit down - job. Your surgeon should be able to tell you. Most likely, you won't need to use your STD as most policies have an elimination period of two weeks before the benefit kicks in. You'll want to check your own policy of course to see what its elimination period is.

Regarding what to tell your co-workers. I'm a firm believer in medical privacy. If you think they would just be nasty, and you know them best, then don't tell them. If they questions why you are out, you can always say that you had to have hiatal hernia repair surgery. Today I told the ladies that I take breaks with that I'm starting a new diet, so that when I begin to lose weight after getting the lap-band, they'll already know that I started to eat healthier.

Good luck with setting your date and everything in between. It's exciting, isn't it?

I have an office job--I sit most of the time. I had surgery on a Thursday and went to work the next Wednesday or Thursday. I really wish that I could have taken a full two weeks, but I was unable to afford it. Short-term disability shouldn't be necessary unless something goes wrong. I've not heard of anyone needing to use it.

I just told people at work that I had company coming into town (my mom came to help out, so it wasn't a total lie). After I went back to work, nobody really noticed that I was holding my tummy every once in a while. Ultimately, it's nobody's business. "I had a medical procedure" should be sufficient.

Hi Chele,

My doc told me that if he did the surgery on a Friday, I could go back to work (computer) on Monday. I think that's pretty darn optimistic, so I'm taking the advice of others here on the board and taking a few days off. I like what thebandedgirl did and will probably follow suit. I really don't think you'll need to apply for disability (is that what that meant?)... unless you have a labor-intensive job. The Lap-Band website says 2 - 3 weeks for people who do labor-intensive work and one week for everyone else. If you can afford to take a few days to relax and I'd heal, I'd do that. As for what to tell the people at work... I'm struggling with that myself. It's such a private thing and I'm not real close with every single person here (that's for sure). I have back problems that come and go,k so I'm thinking about blaming it on that. It also crossed my mind to tell a big fat lie, like 'I'm having female problems' (that oughta quiet the men), or 'I had a hernia removed'... or 'I think I might have gallstones'. Do men who get (ahem) 'snipped' feel obligated tell the whole office? Not usually... Personally, I don't think the whole truth is necessary, unless you feel like sharing it.

I am planning on taking a week of vacation time. That way I don't have to answer to anybody. No questions, no answers, no white lies. Since I am on month 2 of my 3 month diet I have already started to lose weight. I had a couple of people notice and asked about it and I told them I am dieting.

I don't plan on telling any co-workers. I am not close enough with them to tell them my personal business. Remember, who you tell is up to you.

Edited by sndycnrd

A co-worker had the surgery and kept it a secret. I've actually run across his profile on another site. I've been going back and forth about asking him questions but I don't want to invade his privacy. He didn't want people to know so I don't think it's right to call him out. He looks fantastic though and I have commented on his loss.

I'm hoping to have mid week surgery. Take the remainder of that week off and then the following week. I have a paid time off bank so any time I take comes out of my bank not just vacation or sick.

I'm getting more and more nervous. My last diet appointment is next saturday, the 21st. I hope I get approved!

Thanks for the insight on what to share. I've been trying to think of something myself. I had to laugh, I heard of someone saying she had her gallbladder removed instead, but really didn't. Then a couple of years later really did have to have it out and had to make up something else to cover it! I also have paid time off days so I don't have to say why. Then if people ask about my (hopefully) weight loss, I'll say they finally got all my meds working right since I take oral diabetes meds, plus BP, triglycerides, and cholesterol. Hopefully, if this works well, I'll be able to get off all of the meds.

First off, I agree with an earlier poster who called this medical privacy. You are under no obligation to tell anyone anything. (and don't let people tell you it's lying either) Alot of folks on here consider it lying if you don't share your surgery with anyone who asked. That's total BS. Don't fall into that trap, what may be good for them, may not be good for you. Work, is not close friends or family.

As to your co-worker who had the surgery and didn't tell, I wouldn't say anything to him. He obviously made the choice not to share and may be uncomfortable if you bring it up. Maybe he wouldn't be, but why take the risk?

There are so many diets floating around, so whose to say how you are losing weight? I wouldn't worry about people immediately assuming you had the lapband.

If you want to throw them off the track, maybe you could start bringing in Slim Fast shakes or other diet paraphenalia.

I never mentioned any kind of medical procedure (my business). Though lots of folks mention hiatal hernia, which is true for lots of us.

Maybe you have to go out of state for a wedding? You could go shopping on your lunch hour for a "gift".

....and I wouldn't wait for January if I was offered a date in Dec. Consider it an early present for yourself.

I felt like crap the first 3 days and needed the pain meds, afterwards I was fine. Tender, but unless you are lifting heavy stuff at work or there is a chance of one of your co workers punching you in the stomach(lol), you should be okay with a light workload. I'd shoot for a total of a week off, if you can swing it. Making some of that time be over the weekend is smart.

Your going to love the band, it is an exciting adventure!

Good luck,

Samantha :-)

I had surgery on Thursday and was back to work on Tuesday. I just took time off and most at work still don't know I had surgery. I was just "on a diet" as I have been many times in the past so it was no biggie. Good luck on your journey!

Maybe I'm a weirdo but I took off 2 weeks when I was banded - I go back to work on Monday, actually. And I'm glad I did and had the time available to do so. I was on Clear liquids for my first week post-op and only now am on mushies. I wanted the time to get used to eating differently and to not have to be around colleagues' food.

I also got completely caught up on my sleep, which has been a big plus, and took several daytime walks that would be harder to do now that it's dark so early. It was the right choice for me.

And I did tell my colleagues at work that I was being banded, and answered questions. It was my choice. Our workplace is pretty relaxed and casual and I was comfortable doing so. I've been on WW since April and they already knew I'd lost considerable weight.

well ur almost there. I had 2 wait the longest on my pyscologist report 2 b turned n because she went on vacation then was having issues with her computer. so that was like a 2month hold up then my papers were submitted 2 the insurance. I didnt know how long it was going 2 take considering the holidays that r coming up. I sd I wouldnt mind having it n december then I thought about both of my children bdays r n december n started stressing. then I sd the latest that i would wnt 2 have the surgery is the around the new yr.my papers were submitted on october 28th n I gt my approval on november 12th n my surgery date is november 24th. dnt worry about telling ur coworkers anything its ur business. people r going 2 talk n assume things whether they know the truth or nt. best wishes

I am currently playing the ginea pig in my office. I work with a lot of overweight women and most of them are interested in Lap-Band but our insurance absolutely won't cover it. I am lucky enough to have some help in the finance dept with my parents so I made a deal with the ladies at work and my boss. They help me out with being encouraging and start a walking club then I will be their advocate to the HR dept and help get our insurance changed to one that accepts the procedure. I am excited to share my adventure with everyone partly because I hope to inspire and partly because I want to be held accountable and dont want to have to tip toe around trying to hide it. Plus I already had my gallbladder taken out and can't use that as an excuse. Tee Hee.

well ur almost there. I had 2 wait the longest on my pyscologist report 2 b turned n because she went on vacation then was having issues with her computer. so that was like a 2month hold up then my papers were submitted 2 the insurance. I didnt know how long it was going 2 take considering the holidays that r coming up. I sd I wouldnt mind having it n december then I thought about both of my children bdays r n december n started stressing. then I sd the latest that i would wnt 2 have the surgery is the around the new yr.my papers were submitted on october 28th n I gt my approval on november 12th n my surgery date is november 24th. dnt worry about telling ur coworkers anything its ur business. people r going 2 talk n assume things whether they know the truth or nt. best wishes

you are going to be thrilled to have had that extra month of banding by Christmas...consider it a well deserved early Christmas present.

I also have told about 10 people where i work. My thing is i had to tell my boss that i was going to have multiple dr appts and need time off for those and then to let her know i would need to take some vacation to recover. If people act like they do not agree with it which i have not seen yet i will just say you are correct it is not right for everyone but for me i feel it is the only decision.