Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I went on a Gastric bypass site and...

Yes, Melissa, the old Jejunoileal bypass (JI) was horrid. I'm sorry that your mother had to go through that. A surgeon I know told me to find out what was different about the JI and the newer DS before I did anything, because he spent his early years as a sugeon doing take-downs of that surgery on a regular basis. The DS is a different surgery.

But just to make sure we're on the same page on the "RnY vs Ds thing," the BPD/DS surgery permanently removes the gall bladder and the appendix. The stomach is made smaller than normal (but it is about six times bigger than the RnY "pouch"), and the stomach (in both cases) eventually stretches out.

I don't know that we can say that the band always leaves the anatomy intact. It didn't leave MINE intact, as the esophagus is compromised. And I don''t think it left Donali's intact as it eroded through the stomach (although I haven't visited with her lately and HOPE that is all repaired/repairing.)

But, most importantly, with the DS, the pyloric valve remains intact and the "switch" part of the surgery can--if the need arises--be "unswitched."

I don't even know why there is an argument. Everyone chooses what they think is right for themselves. I applaud anyone who is finally doing something to become healthier, whether it is GB or LB. Good for us all!

Carrie

7/25/05

222/197/125

I have to agree with what I think mocha wendy said. I don't think people who gain back neccesarialy gain back based on the surgery they had. I think people gain back because they stop following the rules of their surgery. Maybe the lapband has an advantage there...as the weight comes off slower, so takes longer to loose it. So maybe the brain kicks in since it has longer to practice? If that makes any sense. My mother might have been okay if she had of changed her eating habits....but she didn't. She didn't even switch to diet soda until way after she developed diabettes.

I know people that have had rny surgery and have had tremedous sucess. I personally just wasn't ready for that step, and probally because of my mothers life. For those that do choose RNY, or DS...it is THEIR choice. Just like lapband was for most of us here. Some of us here have been really sucessful with it, while some of us have struggled. If you look at the gastric bypass boards it is much the same. One of the differences is they are FORCED to eat different at least for the first year. While lapbanders have an easier adjustment I think. I mean, we give up alot, but we can still have sugar and fat and not get ill. While this feature allows easier adjustment...it also allows for mistakes in food choices, that can hinder the weight loss.

But regardless of what surgery we have, if we do NOT learn to eat smaller quanities and healthier...we will all regain our weight. NO surgery will guarantee you NEVER regain your weight...thats up to each of us.

Melissa

Rachel, thanks so much for showing me this thread! I agree, "Each surgery is awesome in its own way." I've waiverd on what surgery is better since this whole process started, but the truth is, any weight loss surgery that gives us a 2nd chance at life is remarkable.

I've said in the past that any WLS sucks because I just want to be normal, but ALL of these procedures have people losing weight and living life again. Even if the weight doesn't stay off, I've noticed bypass and unbanded people trying harder and maintaining hope, which I didn't have prior to surgery.

Rachel, good luck to you, and please keep us posted on your journey. I'm especially interested in the supplements you have to take.

My GB friend, Denise, gained back 50 pounds even though she eats like a dainty 120 pound woman. She started writing down her intake and realized that the entire 50 pounds is from her several daily trips to Starbucks. So her GB helped control the amount she eats, but her choice to drink sugary, fattening coffee drinks all day has her up 50 pounds.

I have 2 other GB friends who have gained all their weight back. I asked, "How?" The both said the same thing, "We graze." They can't eat in large amounts, but their food is processed so quickly that they can eat often. They train themselves to eat bad, just the way us bandsters learn how to eat around the band.

I've known many GB patients over the years since it's been around longer than the band, and I personally know more people who have gained all their weight back and fewer that have maintained the loss. But still, I can't compare them to bandsters since I only heard of the Band about 1.5 yrs ago.

Regardless of what surgery, it always boils down to the same nonsense, which is blah blah blah, watch what you eat and the weight will come off (I'm naggy cuz that's what I'm doing now, and I'm hungry!)

I guess Inamed bandsters can argue that their bands are better than the Swedish band. And RNY patients can argue that DS is better. The grass always seems greener on the other side, but it's all the same color in the end.

Hi, Lisa. My supplements are pretty simple.

I take

1 Iron

2 flintstones multi-Vitamin

2 ADEKS (special Vitamin that absorbs in Water, because most absorb in fat and I don't absorb 80% of any fat I eat, which I don't each much fat at all. If you play, you pay in the potty)

5 Caltrate (only 2 more than what is recommends EVERY woman take.)

I MUST supplement. No question, or some very nasty stuff can happen. All these people that have issues, I think alot of them are non compliant when it comes to supplementing and getting their levels checked. Its really not rocket science. Like Nike says "Just do it". The trade off is very acceptable, at least for me it is.;)

Thanks, Rachele. I realize now that I would make a bad GB candidate. I get yelled at by the doc all the time because I forget to take my meds. I'm supposed to take thyroid meds every day, but I simply forget. I often forget 2 or 3 days in a row, and way too often. I've never been good at taking daily supplements, maybe because I often gag on pills. I keep chewable vitamins on my desk but I cringe at the thought of taking them. Not sure why though.

LOL! I realize now that I was a bad canidate for the band, too!

Well you know how it is. Some people like white wine, some red. To thine own self be true!

The 25% of LBers having the band removed comes directly from the Inamed site. What it says specifically is:

In the study, 25% of the patients had their band systems removed, two-thirds of which were following adverse events. Esophageal dilatation or dysmotility (poor esophageal function) occurred in 11% of patients, the long-term effects of which are currently unknown. Constipation, diarrhea and dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) occurred in 9% of the patients. In 9% of the patients, a second surgery was needed to fix a problem with the band or initial surgery. In 9% of the patients, there was an additional procedure to fix a leaking or twisted access port. The access port design has been improved. Four out of 299 patients (1.3%) had their bands erode into their stomachs. These bands needed to be removed in a second operation. Surgical techniques have evolved to reduce slippage. Surgeons with more laparoscopic experience and more experience with these procedures report fewer complications.

So it isn't necessarily 25% of all bandsters but 25% of those in that particular study.

Also I know of several people who have had reversals, called takedowns, of GB. Usually they have had to work hard to find a doctor who will do the takedown because their original surgeon doesn't want to do the reversal and damage his surgical statistics.

Serena

In the info seminar that I atteded, the dr. said that if you were over 100 lbs over your ideal weight then by-pass might me a better option because of immediate health problems. This dr. said that he usually didn't recommend anything but the band to people that were 80-100 lbs over their recommended weight