Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I went on a Gastric bypass site and...

Well here is a funny flip to the coin - at my DR's office I kept running into another patient - we were on the same time schedule so we hung out and attended some meetings together. I was getting the band and she lap RNY. I told her the RNY was to drastic for me - I couldn't stand the thought of having my insides cut up and re arranged. She didn't want the band because she got the same feeling about having a foriegn object implanted in her.

To each his own - I'm happy - she's happy so everything is good (different) but good. I would not bash anyone elses choice and I would expect the same from them.

I can't say why GB patients gain back their weight. I can tell you what I think. I think that they do not eat properly. They eat high calorie foods, candy, ice cream, etc. And they do what is called grazing. They eat all day long. Stop and think about it, We the GB'ers can only eat small amounts. But we could eat every 2 or so hours. I think that some also drink liquids with their meals, causing them to fill faster, but it doesn't hold them. ( Which is why the no liquids before, during or after a meal)

Let me add here, I for one am human --- I have eaten a mini candy bar. But that's all the sugar I can handle. I also don't do well with carbs. But for me that's okay, Because I am supposed to eat Protein first, then veggies. And yes I do have to take Vitamins for the rest of my life. But I took them before. I also take calcium chews. But I don't drink much milk. And I GLADLY traded my vitamins for my Blood pressure meds, Celebrex, and Prilosec.

Any other questions, Give me a yell

I didn't want to sound like I was saying bite sized candy bars were a sin. I am sorry if it came off that way. I was saying that he can't eat Pasta and starch but he can pop a bite sized sinckers every few hours with no problems. I agree that a sweet treat every now and then is a good thing. I try to treat myself at least once a week to something I really enjoy. But everyday is going to stop weight loss and make most people gain weight. He is no exception. Just seems weird that rice and pasta give him problems but candy throughout the day does not. I think he bacame complacent and that was his downfall. Again I am not perfect and I am not saying that I am better than anyone else, if anyone eats the way my friend does they are going to gain weight. ~Mandy

Are GB patients more likely than LB patients to gain the weight back? From the comments, it seems like that is the case. Why is that? Both groups have a tiny little stomach area that can hold food. I thought it would have pretty much the same effect.

And what's this "window" thing I keep hearing about GBers and losing weight?

I have no idea who may be more likely than another to gain their weight back. But personally I don't think it has as much to do with the type of procedure done as what the person does after. Some can't or won't give up the large quantities of food, and they throw up. Others can't or won't give up the sugars or foods that they like that make them sick. I try to eat right, take my Vitamins and get my blood work done regularly.

And to MOVE...... I have so much more energy that I had before. I don't want to sit around. And the biggest change for me....... I eat to live, NOT LIVE TO EAT (which is what I used to do)

I really think my body is out of whack and once normal would not go back with how I eat.. (maybe weigh #250 at most... I know that is real big to some of you but if you never been 400 pounds than you cant appreciate how nice 250 would be)
Actually, I can appreciate how how nice 250 is. Hell, I appricate 400 pounds, down from 600 pounds.

My DH went from 600 pounds to 400 pounds, he's been on a long long plateau, but I don't think he's ready to move to the 300 pounds realm, not ready to move to Tripoli.

My surgeon explained that many GB patients gain because not only do they have learned to compensate for the malabsorttion (their bodies adjust and changes their matabolic rate.) Also they stretch out their pouch and it goes straight to their intestines. He said they are starting to put the lap band on GB folks who are gaining.

Wendy, we really appreicate you being here.

RNY folks lose a section of the intestine that absorbs fat, calories, and unfortunately, Vitamins. That's why they have to lifelong supplement. The "window of weight loss" for them describes the 18 months to 2 years after surgery.

After this time they usually stop losing, and many regain because the body compensates for the missing intestine by learning to reabsorb fat and calories, but not Vitamins. The Pouch can and does stretch over time, so they can eat more, and absorb more fat and calories.

This doesn't change for bandsters in that we can get a tighter fill if need be, and lose again. We don't lose any absorption ability, just intake ability, so there's little need for supplementation if we eat right.

Wow! I'm not sure where to begin to comment on all of this. I think 1st of all I should say I had a banding done a year ago and i am about to have a revision to the bypass. I have had alot of complications. as far as bashing other types of surgery, the site i normally frequent does not do that. thinnertimes.com we are all very supportive and urge everyone to make an informed decision about what is best for them. most people that i know have researched enough to know if they can follow through with the diet of the band or not. because with the band if you are a compulsive eater you can drink milkshakes till the cows come home and with the bypass you are welcome to try but.... do it close to a hospital cause you are gonna get sick. with the bypass reversal ..it can and has been done, my surgeon has done them and they are very difficult and are prone to complications and are only done in extreme situations.

Both surgeries have people that regain their weight! That is a fact and it is not just because of the type of surgery it is because people are addicted to food, afterall thats why we are or were over weight!

It is a choice and while my experience with the band has left me bitter if asked i will tell it is their choice but i will be gald to tell of my experiences with it! With the pregnancy issue, there a lot of people who had children post operatively from bypass and all are doing fine. I have a friend that became pregnant 5 or 6 mos out and had a very healthy pregnancy.

From the sites that I have researched (absa.org) and others the 25% statistic is actually a little low. A lot of people have to have the revision due to complications and the fact that if they had the will power to stop eating junk they wouldn't need surgery to start with. I have respect for the bandsters who are losing and doing good and I have respect for those trying to achieve weight loss. wls is a battle and it should not be argued amongst the ranks it should be argued on the field. If someone is putting your choice down that makes them the loser not you! You did what was best for you and your family. Who gives a crap about he said/she said we are adults fighting for our very lives. I don't need anyones approval but God, My Family, and the Insurance Co.! ( in that order )

Good Luck to you all and hope to have your prayers as I undergo this revision at the end of the year.

Christy

Guest Realtor Linda

Very, VERY well said Christy!

I was all set to do the gastric bypass...

IMO

The band is not ideal for people who eat small items of food like corndogs, little burgers, cheese sticks, (fast food) and do not eat meals and snack alot on junk food like chips, Cookies, icecream as their regualar eating habits.

(CUZ... If your the kind of person who eats two slices of pizza usually and now the band allows one slice...or your still able to chew your small hamburger well enough to get it all in and the junk food crunches down easily then HOW are you gonna lose weight...?? Very slow or go on a diet.)

Its not ideal for anyone addicted to pop or juice or milk or any other sugar or high calorie drink.

(Cuz.. the band will not make this addiction go away and unless your very sure you will stop, you wont.)

Its not ideal if your a seriously out of control eater, obsessed with food so bad you have less than proud moments, or have a major binging habit.

(cuz... you will eat too much, way too often and have PB's and other side effects too often and choose the food over the pains cuz they arent so bad,,,,,the band and body wont tolerate all the stres cuz it wasnt made to handle so much.....and you will lose it or have complications. Over and over.

Its not ideal if your living in poverty,

Cuz...it cost alot to maintain.

Nykee - You are a wise woman, and I think you've brought up some very valid points about the band.

It does NOT work as well for someone who grazes all day long.

I know, because that's my issue.

It wil NOT work as well for someone who loves liquid calories.

It will NOT work as well for people who eat foods that will slide through the band.

It IS expensive to maintain and I don't think very many people talk about that part of the process.

Thank you VERY much for bringing up these very important issues

I personally have a friend who had the gb and is gaining her weight back. She is snacking on candy and drinking regular cokes all day. I think she is tired of watching what she eats or just gave up caring. I too could do the same thing with my LB. I truely hope that never happens. I too have no problem with junk food. It just goes down easy. So with both types of sugery you have to use good judgment in making the choices on what to eat and what not to eat. She is talking about getting the gb reversed and getting the lap band. I have explained that the lap band would be no different because you can still eat the junk all day long. She lost about 250 lbs., never reached her goal, and has gained about 65 lbs. back. I feel sorry for her but she does not seem to want to give up her cokes and candy. I really don't know how to help her because she has to find the strength from within herself.

When you look at the big picture (not those individuals who did well or did poorly), two to three years out, band and bypass people have the same general %of EWL.

I do not want a bypass because, other than bypass patients, there ARE no animals whose mouths are bigger than than their stomachs. It's 20 cc's--four teaspoons--two saltine crackers. It's just, for me, an incredibly bizarre way to live...especially when the band will take you to essentially the same place.

Cornell University just published (small group, but the DS is a more complicated surgery and there aren't that many surgeons or patients) complaring their Rny stats with their DS stats. The DS produced the highest percentage of long term weight loss.

My mom had a type of gastric bypass surgery in the 70's. It is NOT the RNY but her stomach was cut and a large portion of her intenstines wer bypassed. She lost probally from looking at her pictures about 75% of her excess body weight, but never changed her eating habits. So over the course of my childhood she regained all the weight she had loss and more. She developed diabettes..and because of the mal nutrition from the intensitnal bypass developed serious of the liver. She had many other complications, the last 8 years of her life were spent in and out of the hospital. She eventually underwent an operation to reconnect the intestines..and gained more weight, and it only seemed to incress the numerous complications. She died severl years ago...at the age of 55 weighing in excess of 300 lbs, having spent the entirety of her last year of life in and out of the hospital and having daily nursing care at home. I'm not saying that the current weight loss surgerys are the same, they have vastly improved them over the years. They have also gotten alot more serious about patient education. But this is the sole reason I couldn't do RNY or DS. I had to know that it was reversable without causing any more possible damage is something went wrong. I believe the gastric bypass is great for some and they do well on it. But I still believe that least invasive option should always be tried first. This is also why I've spent 22 years of my life dieting in the first place. I trueslly feel that if this does NOT work for me, that I will not go an farther with more drastic measures. I had NO co morbilities before I had surgery...my doctor even said I was the healthiest fat person he knew.

melissa

Sorry about your Mum Melissa, thanks for sharing it with us. Until now I imagined that is what would happen to me...a lifelong struggle and still dying overweight. :)

Again I am sorry.

Hugs