Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9w3d Update: Band, H1N1 and Weight Gain

Hi Ladies....I hope you are all doing well! I am doing great- albeit for the usual fatigue and morning sickness. I have an update and interested in your experiences/feedback as well:

-Met with new bariatric surgeon ( just moved) and he told me to leave my band as is; which is currently filled to 5.5 cc. He said as long as I can eat well with no vomiting, etc that there is no need to unfill. Of course he said to evaluate as we go along but I guess I am still concerned because I thought when pushing during labor I could damage the band if it is filled- but he said no. Thsi seems to be contradicting what I have read here- what do you ladies think and what have you done?

- H1N1- have you recieved the vaccine? First of all I can't even get the regular flu shot- everyone is out! In regards to the H1N1, I don't know- I feel very uncertain about it- it's such a new vaccine and was rushed to market so quickly how does anyone really know what effect is could have long term?

-Weight Gain: OMG...before I tested positive for pregnancy I was down to 260- almost 85 pounds from 2/3/09!!! Now 9 weeks along, I have already gained 8 pounds and I am very nervous. How much weight did you gain in first trimester? I am eating more, even with a restricted band. I find that I am eating more carbs than I have the whole time pst banding; I think it is because Protein is making me ill right now and the carbs help ease my queasiness. chicken, meat, turkey, all turning me off right now where prior to pregnancy I was eating majority protein and veggies. I am so scared I will put on everything I took off by the time I deliver...what did you ladies do to control weight gain- did you have similar cravings for sweet and carbs and did it pass?

Thanks for your help!!

xoxo

You should get the H1N1 vaccine. Ask for the preservative free (mercury free) single dose. It is made just like the regular seasonal flu vaccine. No different. It contains DEAD virus which will stimulate your immune system so that if it sees the H1N1 virus it will be ready to fight it off.

The risk of not getting the vaccine is much greater. Pregnant women have died from this flu. Plus, today I read that obese people have a 5X greater chance of having severe complications if they get the H1N1 flu. 20% of those admitted to the hospital for this flu are morbidly obese even though they only make up 5% of the population.

When you're pregnant your immune system is compromised. It makes you less able to fight off an infection. And you put your baby at risk if you get this flu.

Read my link in my other post below.

And congratulations on your pregnancy. Good luck.

Hello-

I feel we are in THE SAME boat. I was banded in MAY weighing 264...I had lost 44 lbs, husband came back from afghanistan and BAM i am pregnant. My first OB appt is Nov 10th BUT, 5 days before i found out i was pregnant i had gotten my MAGIC fill allowing me to only eat about 4 tbsp per meal SO i had to go back and get that 1cc unfilled anyways other than that my lapband doc said the that unless im vomiting then i should be good until i cant eat again! I believe that I am only 6 1/2 weeks pregnant considering my last period was Sept 19(day my husband got home from deployment) SO yeah I got the H1N1 vaccine YESTERDAY and dont regret it. There are so many 'unreported' cases that are showing up everywhere so I just want to be safe. This is my first pregnancy so thats about all I know..the only thing that I learned I cannot have is Eggs..keep me updated, we need to keep in contact since were both in the same situation!!