Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Donali's NSV Thread

Okay, I have to do this to participate in the Slow Losers Unite! thread.

These are TRUE NSVs (NON-scale Victories), since IF I were using a scale it would be going up.

Ready for some true creativity?? :) Here goes:

I am on a journey towards health - physical and mental. Although I DO hope a by-product of that journey is a smaller physical me, my challenge to myself is to accept where I am, embrace where I am going, and to be kind to myself along the way. I want my life/thoughts to stop revolving around my WEIGHT, and to continue to LIVE as I was learning to do while I was banded. I am also learning to take care of myself and my needs. My challenge to myself is that all of my NSVs will be written without "qualification" - i.e. "I looked great!" as opposed to my natural impulse - "I looked great! (for a huge person - :))"

1. My scale was retired to live under my sink as of about September 2004. I never weigh myself. (HUGE victory!)

2. I bought five outfits last week because everything I own is now too small. I was suffering and uncomfortable, and feeling unhappy about growing bigger. Finally I realized that I was in some small way punishing myself by refusing to buy clothes that fit NOW. I would never do that to someone I loved - so, new clothes - that fit!

3. I wore a new outfit each day this week, and did my hair and makeup. I felt and looked great.

4. I will be attending group hypnotherapy 2 hours a week for 4 Wednesdays starting next week.

5. I made my appointment with the surgeon to fix my right foot, and am now just waiting to get my surgery date (congenital birth defect, similar to a club foot but not exactly the same.)

6. I am recommiting myself to drinking my 4 quarts of Water each day. I am almost 100% on getting in 2 of them - I just need to add in two more.

7. I recolored my hair red last week.

8. I wear perfume each day.

9. My negative self-talk has not re-established itself - I continue to feel positive about myself and where my life is going. (Yay me! :))

:banana :banana :banana

You took the words right out of my head. It's not just about losing weigh, it's about loving who we are, no matter what we look like. I hope people learn from this post and go buy pretties for themselves.

Donali -

Those are awesome NSV's. I wish I could have my head screwed on as straight as you have yours. I know that didn't come easily for you, either.

Wow, wow, wow - I'm so impressed with your attitude and outlook on life and ability and willingness to help others!

Thanks!

Donali you are ONE AMAZING WOMAN!!!!!! You are such an inspiration to be comitted to your health even though you are "FLYING SOLO"!!! I wish you all the best!!! YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!! You always incourage me in ways I could never explain. You have the best outlook on life and because of that you help others want to live!!! Thank you for all the times you make me NOT take my band for granted . I wish you health and happiness each day of your life. May you continue to strive to be healthy... but be happy with who you are today... a loving and careing person with a huge heart to help others.!!! Thank you!!!

You always make me smile and are always such an inspiration. The fact that you are doing so well all on your own makes you a saint in my book!

I got all teary-eyed when I first read your responses... Have I told you lately I LOVE you guys?!?! Truly, this is the BEST group of people EVER!

I am so excited for my group hypnotherapy sessions that start tomorrow. I don't know what her program entails, but these are the top three things I want help with:

1. Motivation to exercise

2. Ignoring free food

3. Adding more veggies and lean meats to my daily fare

I will keep you posted!

xxoo

I am on a journey towards health - physical and mental. Although I DO hope a by-product of that journey is a smaller physical me, my challenge to myself is to accept where I am, embrace where I am going, and to be kind to myself along the way. I want my life/thoughts to stop revolving around my WEIGHT, and to continue to LIVE as I was learning to do while I was banded.
Brava! I hope to be as wise as you when I grow up. . . never mind that I'm years older. Let us know how the hypnotherapy works for you.

I am on a journey towards health - physical and mental. Although I DO hope a by-product of that journey is a smaller physical me, my challenge to myself is to accept where I am, embrace where I am going, and to be kind to myself along the way. I want my life/thoughts to stop revolving around my WEIGHT, and to continue to LIVE as I was learning to do while I was banded. I am also learning to take care of myself and my needs. My challenge to myself is that all of my NSVs will be written without "qualification" - i.e. "I looked great!" as opposed to my natural impulse - "I looked great! (for a huge person - :()"

9. My negative self-talk has not re-established itself - I continue to feel positive about myself and where my life is going. (Yay me! :))

Yay you indeed!

I'm so glad you are participaing again here. We've missed your wit, and you wisdom. I have missed you.

You have, I believe, again stated the issue perfectly. I think that once we learn to love us, right now, at the size and shape and weight we are right this very second, we are truely happy. Happy now, not some nebulous time in the future. Once we learn to do this, we are free to move on to so many different lessons, free from so much heart ache and pain.

It is an extention of "being here now." A concept I must admit that I struggle with. Being still in the moment, being content for now, and all the nows that come after.

My mother taught me many thing, mostly by being a bad example. She has spent her entire life waiting, waiting to be thinner, waiting for someone else to do something, waiting for what never will be to take action. I decided that when I was 18 and a fat size 12 that I would love myself, accept my fat self, and not wait to do things when I lost 50 pounds. I was going to live and love and act like I didn't weight 190 pounds. (size 12 and 190 pounds, not fat)

By accepting where we are right now, by loving ourselves right now removes so many road blocks to accepting ourselves. Accepting where we are does not mean that we do not give up on creating a healthier us, it simply means that if we are happy with us now, we will be happy with ourselves when we are thinner. It is about not waiting.

I know that some people have said that they won't be happy unless they are a size 4 or weight some magic number, even if that number or size isn't realistic. Happiness isn't a destination, it isn't something that we will find in another place.

I'm so glad you are back Donali!