Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Head Cold Hell

Hey there Band Brothers and Sistas...

I did a search on this topic, head colds, and found NOTHING...so I am coming to the board with this question....What does everyone take for head colds? I should just call my doctors office and ask them...but I have a head cold from hell, and the Childrens chewable Tylenol Cold and Cough just isn't helpin....Any suggestions?

Thank ya in advance!

TTYL

what did you take before, and why are you not taking it now?

when I have a killer head cold, nyquel is my drug of choice.

The occasional OTC drug is not going to damage your pouch, especially if you wash it down with a big glass of Water or hot tea.

I would usually do like Advil Cold and Sinus...and I am not taking it now, cause I only have it in pill form. My Dr said to avoid pills...I would assume that Advil would contribute to errosion...soo I try and avoid all medicen like the plague!! Im sooo scared of errosion!!! Plus it doesn't help that Im a big baby when it comes to taking liquid medicens - I don't like the taste/texture. I have had to use liquid Tylenol and I almost cried cause I have made my son take it...oh my god thats aweful stuff!!! :) guess I will never feel better if I have sooo many little quirks to get over.... I will call my surgeons office and ask them too what they suggest.

Thanks Vines..... I will talk to you soon!!!

I'm not banded yet but!

Are you sure its not allergies? if it is, none of that stuff is really going to help. I was taking childrens dimetapp liquid which is supposed to be very good... it did squat!

I went to my doc, he gave me antibiotics, cought meds and a nasal spray.

It seems like everyone is having allergy problems this year OY!!!

Just something to think about :)

GOOD LUCK

Oh NJChick ~ I know this isn't allergies...this is most certainly a head cold. I did it to myself too! It was lightly drizzling out the other night at the haunted house, and I was doing one of my characters that is a gypsie...and well, I wasn't dressed for the occassion...I was frozen!!!! AHH the sacrifices we make :) My son has a slight head cold too, so its just that time of year for us....That Dimetapp stuff tastes really good, but man o man, you aint kidding...doesn't do squat. Believe it or not, this Childrens Tylenol cold formula that I am taking with my son is making me quite drowsie! I may have to take a nap with my boy today!!! We are watching Wizard of Oz, and its going to be lunch time soon so maybe after the movie and lunch we can lay in my bed. Ahh thats such a good thought, but he wont nap! He hasn't since he was three!!! But he is loving this movie! I also got him Hocus Pocus last night!! LOVES IT!

Ok, Im babblin...

TTYL

Why are you supposed to avoid pills? I mean, big giant pills I could understand, but Tylenol cold pills really aren't that big, and aside for Dayquil they are what I use for a cold. The Dayquil pills are decently large, but you can still get the liquid stuff. It's nasty, but worth taking to get rid of horrible cold symptoms. Tylenol is pretty much the only pain killer/fever reducer medication that I can think of that is not on the NSAID list, and is therefore ok to take... but like Vines said, taking something every now and then and washing it down good isn't gonna hurtcha. :)

(Of course, we aren't doctors, so you should probably call your doctor and see what he says).

Thanks Sarah....Im gonna call my surgeon...The office is out to lunch now....until 1pm....Ill get a hold of them...Not like Im running out any time soon to the store to pick something up...its rainning here, I kept my boy home from school, and we are still in our jammies. ehehehe I dunno, must be a mental block that I have from all the pre op stuff...all the rules...DONT DO THIS AND DONT DO THAT...NO NO NO NO NO is always in my head!!!! They have me scared to death to sneeze!! :) Well not sneeze but you get it... :D

The best cold medicine I have found is Zicam. You can get it on swabs that you swab the inside of your nose with. Also, Dayquil comes in a liquid form which tastes ICKY but it also works very well!!

Heather...That Ziacam really works? I was going to buy it for my son. He has a horriable time taking medications...and I thought that would be easier...and less messy....But you have tried it and like it???

So you got a cold doin' the haunted house thing, huh? It's amazing that it's a head cold and not a chest cold, LOL :-], I saw your costume, still waiting for the pics though, were you able to take at least one? I hope, I hope, would love to see it.

Sorry you're feeling so lousy, but another thing that might help is something called Cold Ezee. They are lozenges, but fair warning, they are yucky tasting, but they are suppose to be really good at kicking colds in the butt.

Hope something helps, but like they say, it takes two weeks for a cold to run its course. I hope yours doesn't go on in the severe stage too long.

Cindy

I'm a big fan of the Zicam and the Cold EEze. They both contain zinc as the active ingredient. They work better if you take them at the first sign of getting a cold, but will still help in getting rid of the cold faster and with fewer of the nasty symptoms.

I don't think the Cold Eeze lozenges taste too bad.....

Read up on the zicam, I purchased a form of it that is a nasal spray and it is something you use prophylactically. It helps reduce or prevent symptoms over time. What I have says expect to take it over several days before seeing results. They may have other forms that work immediately, I'm not sure.

I take tylenol cold in the liquid forms, they have a night and a day formula. I also really like the results of alka seltzer cold formulas but let them sit a bit to reduce the fizz. They work best for me. I use about half a 5 oz dixie cup of Water so I can get it down in one shot (the taste isn't that bad, better than some, but isn't great).

My local drug store can add flavors to any liquid medicine. You might ask if they are willing to do that for your OTC meds. Worth a tgry.

I totally forgot about that Alka Seltzer stuff....Hummm I didn't get my dr on the phone and its now 5pm....Im not going out any time soon...maybe tomorrow..I will continue with the Tylenol stuff that I have now....

TTYL