Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fatty Liver and WLS?

can i still have WLS even if i have a fatty liver?

i hear everyone talking about shrinking the liver so im wondering if fatty liver will hinder me getting surgery?:thumbup:

Actually a fatty liver can hinder the surgeon to perform safely. Some will still try if they feel they can, but most of them won’t. It’s really unsafe if they were to accidently cut into your liver, of course.

Follow your pre-operative diet well and this most likely won’t be an issue come surgery day.

can i still have WLS even if i have a fatty liver?

i hear everyone talking about shrinking the liver so im wondering if fatty liver will hinder me getting surgery?:thumbup:

I believe the surgery is especially beneficial with people with fatty liver like myself. Some docs require a pre op diet and that shrinks the liver somewhat to make more room during surgery.

RestlessMonkey (I haven't seen any posts from her lately) went in for surgery THE FIRST TIME and woke up without a band because her liver was too fatty. The doctor didn't have enough room in which to work. She redoubled her efforts with the pre-op diet (after admitting that she hadn't stuck to it as advised) and the second attempt was successful. I was told by my surgeon that the pre-op diet isn't about weight loss, that it is designed to shrink the liver.

Do you know that you have a fatty liver or are you just presuming? Either way, this is one of those questions you need to discuss with your surgeon.

I agree with all of the above. I too was diagnosed with Fatty Liver disease. But to be frank, almost all obese people have this underlying condition. They just aren't told or it's not made a big deal sometimes. Having fatty liver actually is a great qualifier for having the surgery and as all the others have said that is the sole purpose of the pre-op diet. I have been on liquids for a week now and I have one more to go. Although I am happy with the weight loss, I know I must stick to it strictly because of my liver.

Also, some docs will increase the amount of time your on pre-op diet or decrease depending on just how fatty or big your liver really is. I know a couple people through the surgeon's office, one is only on one week, and the other is on a three week, and I'm only on two weeks. So it's really catered to you.

I new nothing about "fatty liver" until my surg on 8/13/09. When my surgeon told me that he amost could not do the surg because of it. I even have some cirrhosis. The shocking thing for me was that it took me to have the band placement for me to know.

Susan

The preop liquid diet really does help with the fatty liver. I too had been told that I had a fatty liver. I did the liquids for like a month. When I had my surgery, I was told that my liver was normal size and caused no problems with my surgery. Just stick with the liquids and good luck.

My surgeon had me on a two week liquid diet to clear the fat from the liver. He warned me that if I cheated on the diet that he would "pull out" if he saw a fatty liver. He said that it made the surgery more risky for his patient and he would not put the patient in danger because of the challenge of operating with a fatty liver. He would have you start all over with the liquid diet and try again.

Turns out that my liver was not fatty, but was really large. He made the decision to go ahead and band me,because a repeat of the liquid diet wouldn't shrink my liver any more. It did make the surgery more challenging for him and I did end up with a couple of lacerations to my liver. That was extremely painful and he kept me in the hospital a couple of extra days.

I am really glad that he went ahead and installed the band, because if he had pulled out because of my naturally large liver, I more than likely wouldn't have had the courage to let him try it again later!!:lol:

So there you have it....it is really a lot safer for you if you have stuck to the preop diet and cleared the fat from your liver.

wow

thanks guys i was getting so upset thinking i was not going to be able to get the band done!

i go for my seminar on monday the 26th with one of my close friends who is thinking about doing it too.

im hoping once i see the dr i can move ahead quickly.

thanks again and wish me luck!!!:unsure:

Thanks Diana for the info. I was told that no matter how much liquid diet or Protein I had prior to surg would not have helped. But what was such a shock to me was that I knew nothing about the state of my liver prior to surg. My surgeon had a hard time as well. But he knew he needed to do and went ahead and placed the band anyway. I just wonder how many morbibly obese people are walking around with fatty livers and with/or without chrosis that don't know this could be a big issue to there health. Thanks for you reply.

Susan

Hi again,

Yes, the purpose of the 2 week liquid diet (I had Optifast Protein drinks) is to clear your liver of fat. The doc told me that 2 weeks is plenty to clean out your liver and for some reason I thought that it would have taken much longer...boy am I glad it didn't!! Even though the Optifast came in strawberry, choc, and vanilla, I got tired of it fast. I was glad that more would not have gotten my liver any cleaner from fat and I didn't have to drink any more:thumbup:

One thing we know now ladies, is that our livers are becoming healthier than they were before. I am so glad that I could offer a little bit of information and that it was useful to ya'll.

Good luck and please let me know how things are going with you.:unsure: