Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Major Pain

I am one day post op and can't keep and sips of Water down. I end up vomiting a foam like substance. Also, I am in so much pain it feels like a heart attack after I take a teeny tiny sip of water. Has anyone else experienced this?

YES! Post-op swelling of the stoma. Stop drinking, start dripping Water into your mouth and hold it there...let it soak through. The foam is called "sliming" and happens when food can't get past the band. In your case, it's happening because your band area (stoma) is so swollen even the Water can't pass. Don't even sip yet, just let water soak into you so you stay hydrated. Give that stoma some time to rest and heal. You will feel miserable but it does pass.

Who's your doc? Are you close? IV fluids are what put me on the mend. If you can do that, I wouldn't hesitate.

stop trying to drink anything you need iv to knock your ass out immediately. along with antiinflamitories the rest hopefully it will stop the swelling. get the doctor on the phone now, dont wait, dont take no for an answer. my wife did this 4 days and it was to the point she had it removed. get on the phone and tell him to knock, you damn near out, steroids to stop swelling, and dont take no for an answer. trust me been there done that, email me at srcnv@SBCGLOBAL.NET IF YOU NEED MORE HELP...

I think you should contact your doc - I was SO dehydrated the 1st few days and I COULD get Water down fine - you need fluids!!! Call your doc NOW. Good luck and hugs!

calico, I can't argue with johnnyreno. He's right, and I remember his wife, and I wish I had gone in sooner, but my doc was in MX and I didn't. Are you okay? Where's your doc? Get thee some help. Listen to Reno...

Go to the ER for IV fluids if you must - dont get dehydrated. I wasn't allowed to drink anything for almost a full 24 hours after my surgery (I was on IV fluids), so enough of the swelling had gone down that when I started drinking everything went down fine. Maybe your doctor roughed you up a bit inside and caused some extra swelling (I would hate to think he put a band on you that was to small - do you know what size band you have?).

I would push for some help/resolution from the doctor - recovering from surgery is hard enough with out extra problems.

Good luck,

Do like Kathy said. Use a sports bottle, hold it over your mouth, and just let one drip into your mouth at a time to wet your mouth. The Water will absorb little by little. I call it my Polish IV.

I have a question - since we sweat through our skin, couldn't soaking in a bath allow liquid to penetrate to avoid dehydration in an emergency like this? Even breathing in steam?

I would do anything possible to keep hydrated till your stoma settles. Good luck.

OH Please tell me that you have called your doctor by now?

Did you get a fill when the band was placed? If so then it might be time for a unfill.

If you didn't then you need to get to the ER and get some fluids in you pronto. The swelling can be temporary and should go down but in the meantime you need to be hydrated.

Have you tried sucking on ice cubes. I know when I was first banded I could only take in three small cubes at a time. I did that every 15 min or so just to keep some fluids in me.

Don't try to overdo it, that will only agitate the inflammation more. I think you should really head to the ER or at least call your Doc to let him know what is going on.

I was an RN for 8 years.

Keep us posted. We all worry when one of ours is not feeling well.

Lisa, soaking in a tub or breathing in steam will not give the amount of hydration needed in an emergent situation. It will only hydrate the skin and the lining of the respiratory tract at such minut levels that it isn't helpful but to have your skin look fresh and flush out your nose. LOL!!!

IV hydration is the key when you are dehydrated and have serious symptoms. Nothing to fudge around with people.

Thanks to all who responded. I am home from the er and just had 2 iv bags. My barium swallow showed my sips of Water are not emptying at all. They say it is due to swelling. I am hoping by tomorrow I can start some slow sips. Does anyone know of anyone else who had this problem of excessive vomiting becuase their pouch was so swollen?? Thanks All!

calico, I wasn't vomiting but I was THAT swollen for short periods of time. I did eat a Gas-X and laid down, then had to get up to spit it out and PB'd it. It wouldn't/couldn't go down! I didn't start getting on the mend until I had IV fluids. Now that you have that hydration, give your stoma a rest and start sipping again when you can.

I would be very careful though. If you are bringing back up every sip of Water, you have a problem. Re-read johnnyreno's post about IV anti-inflammatories and/or steroids or some medication that isn't oral to make your swelling go down a bit. Take it easy. 6 months later, my little 2 week nightmare seems like a dream, and you will get past it, too. But don't forget johnny's wife who had to have her band removed after 4 days. Don't let it get out of hand, okay?

Are you feeling okay? Let us know!