Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

frustrated with potential surgeon's office!

Hey everyone. Hoping someone can give me some insight here. I'm looking into 2 surgeons in my area. My original first choice (because of the fantastic track record, stats, doc is supposedly wonderful, etc.) is kind of giving me the runaround, and I haven't even had my official consultation yet! When I originally heard back from them, they told me that I had to do the 6 mo supervised diet, and to get started on that first. Well, I don't, according to my insurance. After I pointed that out, they told me to get a letter of recommendation from my primary doc. I don't need that either, according to my insurance co. She did schedule my initial consult, but tells me to bring a good book with me, because wait times can be quite a bit. (yeah, that's exactly what I want to hear). Then she asked if I had my heart set on the lap-band, and I told her yes. Then she tells me all the downsides of the band-fills for life, etc-which I already knew about. I told her that, and that I was certain I was only interested in the band, not the bypass. And she just blows it off, telling me "well he (the surgeon) will talk to you about both anyway" She's also telling me about this $350 registration fee, which according to her is for educational handouts and access to their website. Seriously? $350 for website access? Plus, she'll telling me that even though my insurance doesn't require a psych consult, they do. And I have to go on Optifast for two weeks prior, and I can only buy that from them, and it's $150 a week. Oh, and I'll have to undergo an upper GI before surgery. I have zero history of GERD or reflux. Why is that necessary? Now I understand the pysch eval, because they want to make sure I'll be able to commit to the life changes, blah, blah, blah. But in respect to the rest of it, it kind of seems like they are trying to milk me and my insurance company for as much money as possible! Has anyone else had these issues, and are any of their requirements legit? Like I said, this is supposedly the premier facility in the area, but I'm starting to question if I really want to go there.

What area are you in? That sounds like a freaking horror story!:confused:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around everything you said! Is there another qualified surgeon in your area? In a nutshell you've stated that they are not listening to you or giving you the personalized attention that you are entitled to. Each patient should be looked at as just that- a patient. Not one of the masses. You've been given a lot of runaround considering you haven't even had your initial consult yet! I can understand the upper G.I. My Dr. explained to me that it is to explore the area first and make sure everything is o.k. They actually found a tumor in my stomach I never knew I had! Thank God it was benign, but I'm glad I was checked out all the same. This is a lifelong journey. If you aren't happy now, will you be happy going to this Dr. for your aftercare? If there isn't another Dr in your area, I suggest you ask to speak with the office manager. Explain that you are being given answers without them looking into your individual plan and you feel like you are being rushed along. Perhaps it's just a front office training issue. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

The need for an endoscopy is to rule out any unknown upper GI problems before the surgery, it is a very important step. When I found out that my Dr required it I was impressed with this. Being a medical professional myself I understand the need to rule out possible problems BEFORE surgery.

As far as the 2 week preop diet, My Dr requires a liquid Meal Replacement, not just dietary supplements but Meal Replacements with ALL the nutrients you need and non of the Fat.

My Dr requires his patients choose one of 2 types. One costs $180 for the 2 weeks and the other is $100 for the 2 weeks. The Dr wants this so that the liver will shrink prior to surgery making the procedure safer.

I have been monitoring ALOT of You Tube vlogs and I have found that those who go into this surgery questioning the Dr requirements for pre and post op develop some many problems and express alot of frustration and unhappiness after surgery.

Best of luck to you

Andrea

I would check around. My original choice charged a $1000 program before submitting paper work to insurance for approval. I am now going with True Results and there is no program fee. I would not recommend paying anything out of pocket for a program fee. I understand some Doctor require a liquid diet prior to surgery and you have to pay for the potein shakes. Each insurance plan is different. I have United Health Care and they cover my insurance but not all United Health Care plans cover it. Good Luck!

Thank you to everyone so far-I do appreciate the insight. This is in Cleveland, Ohio. And thankfully, because of that, I have several options for facilities. I had looked into the first place because, like I mentioned, they were the pioneers for bariatric sugery 10 years ago, but I'm definitely looking into other places too. And you are right-I'm not feeling like I'm being listened to, and I definitely have the feeling like I'm one in a herd of cattle. Get 'em in, get 'em out, etc. But I'm trying not to let the office staff's attitude cloud my opinion of the doc, who is the important person, since he may be the one doing my surgery. The other place I'm looking into also requires a 2 week meal replacement diet, but they are a little more flexible with what kind (Medifast or Optifast). And they do not have an expensive program fee. Now as far as the upper GI goes, I guess I can understand that, and both places require it, although I do wonder---are they talking a barium swallow GI series or a full scope? Anyone know? Thanks again to everyone for their help, and I'll keep up with this to hear what anyone else has to say. All suggestions and comments are appreciated! :confused:

Abby,

I'm getting mine done at Barix. They don't require me to do anything more than my insurance and my own health mandates. I'm a fairly healthy individual with obesity being my only comorbidity. They are not requiring an upper GI, EKG, etc. Just the usual pre-surgery bloodwork. They have an excellent reputation and I've talked to others who've had the surgery through them. The amount of pre-surgery tests varies and was dependent on the medical needs of each patient.

However, based on what you've said in the OP, I'd find another doctor. Heaven forbid you actually get the surgery through them and they continue to 'listen' this well afterward when you need follow-up support.

As for the program fee...Barix does not charge a 'program' fee and neither did any of the other 4 bariatric centers I looked into. I'd definitely look around.

Because you end up dealing more with the office staff and nurses than the doc, you should make sure you're completely comfortable with them before having your surgery there.

Having said this, I can understand things from their perspective, too. They probably deal with hundreds of people who want information and then never follow- through with treatment plan. Yes, it's up to them to keep it fresh and make sure they are treating everyone as individuals, but when most insurance companies require the same things, the office staff can end up going on rote.

If you really want this practice, try to make it work. Make yourself stand out. "I'm Christine...and I'm the one with the insurance that doesn't require a 6 month supervised diet...remember? I have a question." It only takes a few times for them to get to know you.

Well, after actually going in for my consult, I must say I'm more than impressed. There was no wait at all, and the doc talked with me for almost an hour going over every last detail. Plus, they got me submitted and approved in a week! The woman even called me tonight just to make sure I got the message I was approved so I wouldn't have to wait all weekend wondering. So the next few weeks are gonna be crazy, with all the pre-op bs, but it's gonna be so worth it all!!!:)

I'm glad you went and things were much more positive than you expected.

I want to say, though, that just because insurance doesn't require a 6-month weight reduction program doesn't mean a surgeon wouldn't. We were told it was one of the ways they could see for themselves what kind of commitment we had to eating with restrictions over a period of time. I didn't see it as something to avoid even though it did add some time to the process. I felt more committed myself in doing it, and dropped 45 lbs which made the surgery easier.

Other people may be fine omitting that step, but I'm glad I didn't. And no, my insurance didn't require it either.

Hi Abby,

Just saw your post here about the choice of surgeons and facilities and wanted to let you know that I think you have made the right choice. I can assure you that the aftercare is a very important part of this whole process and it sounds like you have found a surgeon and staff that will help you through both pre and post surgery.

I was lucky enough to have found a very skilled and caring surgeon. He did require the 2 week liquid fast to shrink the liver. They have to move the liver out of the way so they can band the stomach. I did the Optifast and must say that the taste was great and it wasn't too hard to make it throught the 2 weeks.:) I have had 3 fills and scheduled for another on Wednesday and my surgeon is the one who personally does the fills!! His staff is great to work with also.

A long way around to say that the way you are treated by surgeon and staff is very important with your aftercare!:cursing:

You have really done your homework and I congratulate you and think that you have made really good choices!!!