Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you had your band more than 6 months?

I guess I see things from the perspective of wanting to be healthy not just to lose weight.

I hope everything works out for you ElfiePoo

But isn't that what I've been saying? :)

If my goal was to 'lose weight', I'd sign up at the local gym and work out as many nights as I needed to get to goal.

My goal is not to 'lose weight'. It's to be healthy...and I can do that without 'exercising'. We (used to) love to camp and would hike miles, cross country ski, backpack, kayak and swim. I used to go to the local high school and swim laps for an hour 3 times a week. I don't see this as 'exercise' but as living a healthy lifestyle. My doctor told me I was healthier and more in shape at 200 pounds than most women are at their goal (read: insurance chart) weight.

Unfortunately, the birth of my youngest and starting a new business 2 years later led to a more sedentary lifestyle which caused an ever increasing spiral downward.

Hi Elfie, I just wanted to comment on your post. I have had my band in since March 09', I'm on the other end most of the time now days I can't eat much. I have really good restriction, and I had to actually get an unfill due to having trouble with liquids. I am like you I didnt get this surgery to have to do WW, Atkins South beach. But In the beggining it was all about choices, I know people who don't lose much weight with the lapband, because you do have to watch what you eat in the beggining. It took me about 5months to get proper restriction and in that time I lost about 70lbs most of this was due to my will power and I exercised like crazy!!! If I didnt exercise I wouldnt lose!! Our bodies adapt to the amount of calories we take in, and we have to exercise to boost up our metabolism. Recently I havent been exercising, because I hadnt been able to eat much so I have been a little weak. I definately feel my body getting looser and skin sagging since I stopped working out. I personally think exercise is essential to have a healthy weight loss. You are right you will eventually lose without exercise but it will be very slow, as I said before our bodies adapt to the calories we take in. A friend of mine had gastric bypass, she didnt exercise and lost a good amount of weight in the beginning, however she has stalled out close to 190lbs. She barely eats, but I believe her body has gotten use to the small amount of calories she takes in. I have an aunt who had gastric bypass and was at goal in 7 months, she exercises every day!!! I'm no doctor and don't claim to be an expert in this, it is just my opinion and what I have seen with my own eyes. Good luck to you!!!!!

Elfie,

Have you done any research on the gastric sleeve?

I've heard that people that have the sleeve no longer experience hunger.

Just a thought!

I have but thanks for the thought. The Lap Band is what I'm interested in as long as there is 'truth in advertising'. In other words, if it will allow me to be 'full' long before I am now.

I'm getting the distinct impression that those suffering from hunger have not yet reached restriction and if they have, they may be filling up on things that slide through (shakes) rather than real meals. That hunger is not necessary.

But In the beggining it was all about choices, I know people who don't lose much weight with the LAP-BAND®, because you do have to watch what you eat in the beggining. It took me about 5months to get proper restriction and in that time I lost about 70lbs most of this was due to my will power and I exercised like crazy!

I *hate* exercising. Fortunately I'm not averse to activity...or wasn't before I gained this last bit of weight (cuz now my back hurts) and am looking forward to just getting off 30 pounds so I can go walking with my husband again!

I'm 6 months out about a week from now. My blog yesterday (in my sig) was about reaching my Sweet Spot after my last fill 5 weeks ago. I also discussed: how I can still eat everything (nothing is off limits), I eat almost everything my family does for dinner (and I'm not the cook, so I haven't changed the meals)...I sometimes don't eat a mainly Pasta meal, but sometimes add more meat to it and then I do. I'm losing 1.5-2 lbs. a week, and eat about a cup at each meal. I follow the Bandster rules; solid Protein first, no drinking for about an hour...yadda yadda... Here's the good part...I'm NEVER HUNGRY! ...and I'M NOT ON A DIET!!! For me it's be completely "As Advertised" (once I got good restriction...Bandster Hell...I was starving like everyone else).

Although I know the benefits of exercise well (I used to teach 8 aerobics classes a week in my younger days) I'll admit here that I haven't really started an exercise plan since banding. I gardened a lot in the summer and used the treadmill and the Wii a few times...so really no exercise (and yes, I've exercised like crazy along with diets in the past). I know I need to get exercising as it's all part of the plan to get healthier.

I've yo-yoed for 20 years, sometimes 50 pounds at a time, but always ending higher. I did VERY well on Atkins also (several times)...huge amounts of food like cheese...what's not to like...except who can eat like that and stay in ketosis forever?! I've lost 65 lbs. total now. Could I have lost it faster by dieting...yep, I've done that...again, here's the difference...I'M NOT ON A DIET...there is no food that's off-limits and I'M NOT HUNGRY!!!

Now all that said...to each their own and everyone has to find what works best for them. Some here are gym rats, some are on WW, there's even a group on low-carb/Atkins here, some drink Protein shakes a long time out.

For me, if this meant going on another diet, I wouldn't have done it...I'm a GREAT dieter...I didn't need another diet. I needed a tool that would help me make changes in portion size and keep me from being hungry and that's exactly what the LB has done for me.

ElfiePoo - I had my band placed in Sept. 2008. I have lost 15 pounds with it. But I have lost a total of 75 lbs from my highest weight. I started dieting on my own in January 2006 and lost 20 lbs. Then I went on the 6 month pre-op diet and lost another 20 lbs. Then I lost 10 pounds on the 2 week liquid pre-op diet and another 10 lbs. on the 2 week post op diet and 15 pounds in the last year, essentially, from the band.

I have a 4cc band and had two fills taking me to 3cc's. This was too much and 1cc had to be removed because I developed a lot of problems - reflux, heartburn and pain. So, I have 2cc's in a 4cc band.

During this almost 4 years of dieting, I have been hungry almost all the time. I get by on willpower. It is not head hunger, either. That is a term used by doctors who don't want to deal with the hunger that many of us feel. It's a blame the victim mentality. It's either head hunger or thirst. Well, let me tell you something - I am 58 years old, I have been on many diets and I know the difference between hunger, head hunger, thirst and satiety.

The band does not work the way it is promoted as working for everyone. Some people reach their sweet spot, feel full after small amounts of healthy foods and lose weight consistently. Some slowly but they lose. This doesn't happen for everyone. I am one such person.

I have been stuck at this weight since last spring. I exercise EVERY DAY - 4.8 hours a week. I shook things up by adding low impact aerobics and weight machines to my treadmill. Everything I eat is low fat, low calorie, calorie free, fat free, etc.. My calories are under 1300/day. I follow the lapband diet, I eat with a shrimp fork, baby spoon and off a small dish. I keep a food journal. I don't eat slider foods or fried foods or sweets, etc..

Now, if you look at those websites that calculate how many calories you should eat to lose weight - mine say about 1800 calories a day to lose a pound a week. That isn't happening.

My doctor is happy with my weight loss but I know I am going to be stuck at this weight unless I eat less. And I don't want to eat less because it's a struggle each day with the hunger.

I don't think a fill is the answer because when I was too tight, I was still hungry. The small amount of food I was able to eat did not satisfy me.

So here is what I am saying: You can end up with a band that is tight enought that you aren't physically able to eat much food but it does not satisfy your hunger. To me that is the worst of both worlds. You have all the problems that might come with restriction without the benefit of being less hungry and feeling satisfied.

I am happy that for many (most?) people the band works as it should. But you don't know if it will work for you that way even if you follow all the rules.

I have had my band for 15 months. I have not exercised during this time period. I eat almost everything I want, just less of it. I still eat 1200-1500 calories per day. I also drink my Starbucks non fat latte almost every day as a snack.

Examples of my meals when we eat fast food/restaurant.

IHOP:

pre band- 3 eggs/3 pancakes with a side of toast

now- 1 pancake and 1/2 of a 2 egg omelet

Chilis:

pre-band- 1/2 order skillet queso with chips and 1/2 order of chicken quesadillas; 1/2 of choc chip paradise pie

now-small cup of chili with 4 crackers and MAYBE 1/4 of an order of skillet queso with chips

Pizza:

pre band- 3 slices of a large hand tossed

now- 1 slice (sometimes 2) of a small thin crust

Cracker Barrel

pre band-3 biscuits (or more, they are yummy) and then my entree

now - 1 biscuit and 1 fish fillet with 1/4 c mashed potatoes

These amounts fill me up and keep me satisfied for 4-5 hours.

I will say that I was fortunate to get restriction easily and have very seldom had my band be too tight. It will take more willpower on your part until you get restriction. In the beginning, I measured out the amount of food I was supposed to have and only put that on my plate.

The biggest difference I have noticed, is being able to KEEP the weight off. I have NEVER kept weight off this long. I would lose the weight and then, if I plateaued at all, I would start putting it back on immediately. I just recently from April to August hit a plateau. My weight stayed steady and I began losing slowly again in August. I can honestly say the band is the reason I was able to keep my weight off and not gain.

I've had my lap band for 7.5 months and have lost 91 lbs. It has literally changed my life for the better. My cholesterol was over 300 and now is normal. I was taking three different blood pressure meds daily and now not needing any meds. Once adequate restriction was obtained, my appetite and amt. that I was eating drastically decreased. I feel soooooooo much better and my energy level has gone way up. I truly feel the lap band saved my life. I hope you have good results with it like I have. Just remember, it is a tool and you have to work with it...

Can I ask at what point you reach good restriction.....how many fills did it take?

I did a private message, but since I am not hiding anything I will add this. I have been very lucky in this journey. I had little pain following surgery. My doc put in an IV like system that I wore home so I didn't have to take anything else. I went out the night I was discharged, I was even able to sleep well. It was two weeks before I felt tired or worn out. I didn't and still don't feel hungry after my meals. I eat what I want(within reason), last nite had some German chocolate Cake as a treat. I will have my thrid fill next week, I have restriction but it's not what it could be. This has been my choice, the reason is that I wanted to go slowly with this because I felt I needed the time to make mental changes that would alow me to get healthier and still be happy. I don't want to drop the pounds and hate my band at the same time. Seven months and over 50lbs gone, it could be more if I followed the rules more closely. I don't go to the gym very often, I am just not that person. When I do go it is a very light workout of treadmill and bike for about 45 mins. I keep my portions small and try to eat the right food most of the time; I also try to hear my body say "FULL". Every now and then something catches my eye and I won't deny myself. I have a taste of it and move on. My taste for things have changed and I season my foods differently. I did the band because I needed to drop some weight, but I didn't want to be on a diet the rest of my life so I am not. I feel ready to push foward and scheduled the fill. 135 will never be my goal, another 10 or so pounds and this 52 year old will feel like a kid again.

I've had mine for 11 months. I never get really hungry. I eat small amts and get full and stay full for several hrs. My Protein Shake and skinny latte get me through well into afternoon. I rarely crave any food and rarely think about it. It just isn't an issue for me any longer and I love it!

The thing about exercise, is you also build muscle, which weighs more than fat, but burns fat. So you technically could gain weight, but you it's muscle, not fat.

And you increase your metabolism which burns fat. And you don't have to be a gym rat, just ride a bike, dance, have some fun moving your body. Get that heart rate up, there are many more benefits to exercise than just weight loss, your body just tightens up and you minimize health risks. To do one without the other, sort of doesn't make sense to me.

However, I agree with you about the mental hunger aspect. I know what hunger is, and my body had had some real hunger. Stomach growling, uncomfortable, not able to sleep hunger .. and it was no figment of my imagination. Of course, I was told it would happen and would be temporary. I was mentally prepared for the several weeks of shakes only.

I just got my 1st fill yesterday, after losing 33 pounds since April doing all of the things I need to do in addition to the Lapband - exercise, Protein, Vitamins, journaling what and why I eat ...

I really enjoy the program I am in. It's comprehensive, and through our support group, classes and manual, I was mentally prepared for what I needed to do, and accepted a long time ago that the lapband is really just a tool, not a short cut.

We'll see where I end up, but I suspect it will help me keep the weight off, I will lose more than if I didn't have it.

I hope you find a good solution, but without a comprehensive approach, it's much harder. Good luck to you.

I disagree. If exercise was the answer to losing weight, then why are those who are exercising 3-4+ times a week still having trouble losing weight? As I said before, I lost 70 pounds...and have kept it off...with nothing more than diet.

I The point of this thread though was to find out whether the LAP-BAND® did what it promised...or whether it was nothing more than a mental placebo where diet, exercise and hunger was still the rule of the day for losing the weight. Only a few have answered that question. :thumbup:

I'm looking for some feedback, particularly from those of you who have had your band for more than 6 months.

I'm seeing an awful lot of posts here and on another forum from people who, post band, are still hungry and not losing weight and are being told it's because they need to suck it up regarding the hunger, exercise and go on a diet (like Watchers), implying that unless they do, they won't lose the weight.

This is becoming a serious issue with me because I'm not going to go through surgery, put a foreign body into my stomach and deal with all of those issues, just to be told I still have to "go on a diet and exercise program and 'suck it up' re: the hunger." I can do all that without spending $20k or going through surgery.

I don't expect the band to do it all *but* I do expect to be able to eat smaller portions of good food choices without hunger. I do expect to lose weight on these smaller portions and without spending all of my spare time exercising. In fact, I expect to lose weight without exercising at all since (a) I will be eating a fraction of what I did to keep my body this size and (:thumbup: recent reports show that while exercise is good for you, it's not necessary to lose weight...it really is all about the food. I'm not saying you might not lose more, faster...but that's not the same as just losing.

If these are unrealistic expectations, I'd like to know now and save myself the aggravation of the surgery and follow-up. Having serious doubts here...

I have been banded 2 yrs 3 months - lost 112 lbs (105 of that in the 1st yr) Here's my 2 cents

The band is only a tool - that's it...

It doesn't make your food choices for you and it doesn't exercise for you.

only purpose is to restrict your portions.

I don't care how tight you are - You are still going to be able consume unlimited quanaties of ice cream candy gravey milk shakes etc - anything that's considered a slider food.. You will always be able to eat around your band.

Yes getting to your sweet spot can be difficult for some - but for others it's not - it's a crap shoot really - I don't remember if there was a poll at one time - on how many fills it takes to get to your sweet spot - I got to mine in 2.

Dieting vs your normal eating - Well ya you are going to have to "diet" as our normal eating is what got us fat in the 1st place.. Most of us didn't get fat eating 1/2 cup of veggies & 4 oz hard Protein.

Yes by restriction alone you may lose some weight but not enought to go thru major freaking surgery..

This really is about a lifetime lifestyle change and with the help of our tool (band) I was able to get to goal and maintain that weight for the last year.

I have not dieted - I eat healthy - I still allow for treats - but they are budgeted into my daily caloric intake - and yes you gotta learn how many calories you are consuming a day, you need to learn what 4 oz of steak looks like. (these are normal serving sized) you gotta read label and you gotta exercise..

Why are you getting banded??

To get healthy ??

Well to get healthy you have to eat healthy and exercise

that's what healthy people do...

WLS is not the easy way out - I did 75% of the work and my band did the other 25% -

Losing weight is simple math - calories consumed and calories burned

Hungry isn't going to kill you - and it's normal to be hungry

I don't find that my band takes away my hunger - it keeps me full on a smaller amount of food. But I still get hungry and then we have the whole head hunger issue and for me my head hunger manifest it's self into real physical hunger

Last night I was physically full from didn't - but I was not full emontionally or mentally - my body kept telling me to eat more and more - I was eating veggies - but still I was eating when I was not physically hungry..

The majority of our issues are in our head - not our stomachs - and until we learn to deal with those head issues we are going to have a fool proof weight loss system

Well, that's my 2 cents - I love my band - I love me for the work involved and the continued work I do daily - I love that I feel 10 yrs younger - have improved the quality of my life and have tons more energy..

Good Luck on your journey....

And you don't have to be a gym rat, just ride a bike, dance, have some fun moving your body.

Exactly. I'm looking forward to going out walking every evening with my husband. I'm looking forward to swimming laps again...to cross country skiing and backpacking. Heck, I'm looking forward to just being able to wash/paint walls, rake the yard and other 'active' chores. My husband and I have even started looking at the Wii Fit but that's 'fun', not 'exercise'. :thumbup:

Guys you are both right for different reasons. Weight loss is really a pretty simple equasion. You use X amount of calories a day at your current weight, if you reduce your caloric intake by 500 a day or 3500 calories per week you lose approximately 1lb. Exercise will make it so you can eat more calories because you burn more and therefore makes weight loss easier, but... if you dont exercise and still reduce your overall caloric intake below what it takes to sustain your current weight you will lose weight, but it will probably be slower than the person who execises. Exercise also speeds up the metabolism so you actually burn more calories round the clock because of this boost to the metabolism. So for you both, you can both be successful, you just may have different overall goals.

I have to disagree. It's much more than calories in, calories out. What those calories consist of also play a huge part in how successful your weight loss will be.