Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are cravings after being banded???

Hey all,

I was curious to see if anyone still had specific cravings after being banded. I guess for women, when it's around that time of month for them.. are craving still like crazy? Or for people that love sweets and salty foods.. does any of that go away or atleast calm down a bit?

I know i will do whatever it takes to lose the weight in a healthy way. i just want to prepare myself for what i am getting myself in to..

thanks!!

My cravings didn't really change post-op.

The exception to that is when I either get stuck, or something makes me feel gross after I eat it. Then I really have no desire for it after.

Brownies, for example. I made the mistake of taking a bite of brownie a few months back and got stuck (it was gooey). It took a half hour of being uncomfortable before it passed. Let me tell you, I can't even look at a brownie or anything with that "cake" consistency without feeling a little gross. Sooo I no longer crave things like that.

However... I never thought I "craved" bread before banding. Well, I do. And any time I try it, it just doesn't work out. I've tried crackers, wheat bread, toasted, untoased, hard and soft. Nothing agrees. I find myself craving stupid things like toast with jam, and I'm slowly learning that it's just not a good idea for me! But the cravings are still there. I'm hoping bread will end up like the brownie thing. I just don't want to crave it!

Surgery doesn't really change what's going on in your head. You've got to work on that part, cravings included.

Surgery doesn't really change what's going on in your head. You've got to work on that part, cravings included.

AGREED!!! Cravings are in your head. For me...it's soda. Holy moly I miss Coke. So much. But I dont bother even trying it because the whole point that I enjoy is the taste (sugar) and the bubble (carbonation). Two things that just aren't good for me anymore.

Luckily I haven't had any horrible stuck issues. It usually passes within minutes. So technially I can still eat whatever I want. I don't!! Don't get me wrong. But if I were just dying for pizza or something (which I was right after my surgery), I wouldnt hesitate, now, to have a slice. The band helps me to stop eating so I don't binge.

But yeah, you'll have to control those cravings. Just think of all the calories and fat you'll be consuming. When you're on a 1000 calorie a day diet, you won't waste it on a bag of M&M's. :)

I too had cravings, but honestly as time goes on and with some new and improved eating habits cravings are not a huge deal. During TOM, I want chocolate just like before but the diff is I can eat two tiny ones and be totally satisfied.

Pre banding, I craved stuff like MCDonalds, cake, sugar soda and what not. Now that I cook for myself, that stuff really isn't any good. If I HAVE to have something I make it for myself instead of popping over to the sugar isle of a store. So basically, yes it does get better. It will be as hard as you make it, at least that is what I discovered about myself.

thanks everyone for your honesty. I figured craving wouldn't go away..lol. i just needed to see it from other people perspective. i've done Weight watchers before and understand exactly what you say by the cravings getting better with time..

best wishes to everyone

OT: Lana! Wow you’re only 11 Lbs from goal! You go sis! J

For me, well strange as this may seem my cravings have changed but in a bad way. Well not totally, but I’ve found that I crave sugar more than ever now. I never really did before. I really can’t call it. *shrugs*

But, I’ve grown some good cravings too that I never had before. I really love garden salad now, but before I never thought about them. Ever. Like a previous poster, I also have started craving bread. It’s kinda hard to eat, but I can eat it. I do choose whole wheat rather than white.

I think we get set on eating things that we know we can, so we start to crave them.

OT: Lana! Wow you’re only 11 Lbs from goal! You go sis! J

For me, well strange as this may seem my cravings have changed but in a bad way. Well not totally, but I’ve found that I crave sugar more than ever now. I never really did before. I really can’t call it. *shrugs*

But, I’ve grown some good cravings too that I never had before. I really love garden salad now, but before I never thought about them. Ever. Like a previous poster, I also have started craving bread. It’s kinda hard to eat, but I can eat it. I do choose whole wheat rather than white.

I think we get set on eating things that we know we can, so we start to crave them.

I am :) That is only goal one. I just don't think I have hit that sweet spot yet. Once I get done with the fills I should be right as rain. I'm getting there one friggin, slow losing pound at a time!!! :smile:

I think cravings depend on what you are used to eating over time.

As I got further and further out from banding, the less my original cravings were a problem. Your cravings change if your diet changes to include primarily healthier items.

After the first year, I now crave things I never craved before that are actually good for me. Stuff like pancakes and some sweets just don't taste the same and I really don't want them like I used to.

I am :smile: That is only goal one. I just don't think I have hit that sweet spot yet. Once I get done with the fills I should be right as rain. I'm getting there one friggin, slow losing pound at a time!!! :)

That's great Lana! I'm actually going in on the 9th to take just a little bit more out again. I think I've been really stressed alot lately and what was a good fill a few months ago is now giving me issues again. I just want to be able to eat! :-(

One pound at a time is a safe a sure pace. You're doing a great job. :w00t:

I think cravings depend on what you are used to eating over time.

As I got further and further out from banding, the less my original cravings were a problem. Your cravings change if your diet changes to include primarily healthier items.

After the first year, I now crave things I never craved before that are actually good for me. Stuff like pancakes and some sweets just don't taste the same and I really don't want them like I used to.

ITA Heather. I used to eat up pancakes like no one's business but really, I don't even think about them anymore. Really.

Sweets though? Pre-band I would eat candy once a year at Halloween. Never thought about them at any other time. Now? Some days it's all I think about! :thumbup: Once I get my band tightness like it should be, hopefully I can work on that too.

My surgery was on August 20, 2009, I still have most of the cravings that I had before the surgery but what is most impressive to me is that I can control them. I have NEVER had control over my cravings until now. If I am craving chocolate, I have chocolate but I am fine with a bite size piece instead of a king size bar! lol :wink2:

Hey all,

I was curious to see if anyone still had specific cravings after being banded. I guess for women, when it's around that time of month for them.. are craving still like crazy? Or for people that love sweets and salty foods.. does any of that go away or atleast calm down a bit?

I know i will do whatever it takes to lose the weight in a healthy way. i just want to prepare myself for what i am getting myself in to..

thanks!!

aww your surgery is on my birthday! lol no I still had a lot of cravings after surg. As I am getting more Fluid in my band the cravings are less and less. Just remember that as time goes on it will get better!

aww your surgery is on my birthday! lol no I still had a lot of cravings after surg. As I am getting more Fluid in my band the cravings are less and less. Just remember that as time goes on it will get better!

ohh cool.. hee hee.. i am so excited!!

thanks for the feedback...

I still have a lot of cravings and I also don't have enough restriction (going for my 4th fill on Wednesday) yet. I do have some, but its not right yet I think (or at least, that is my gut instinct). Looking forward to fewer cravings, hopefully, with this adjustment!