Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi guys, wondering if anyone can help me out. I'm really struggling to get all my Protein in. never gave it a thought for the first 6 months but I've been on a plateau for about 3 months and i read that we should be eating 60g of protein a day. I really struggle with meat, and in a chicken breast there is 22g of protein - I'd never be able to manage a whole breast. I drink a pint of skimmed milk in the morning, 15g protein, but thats my best efforts so far. any ideas or tips? Thanks

You could add powdered milk to your milk and make it a double Protein milk...Its not bad at all or you could get some greek yogurt(yum) it has 21 G per serving. Or cottage cheese, Unjury powder has alot of protein.(not my fav).I like making smoothies with carnation ins Breakfast powder(sugar free) and adding powdered milk,milk a yogurt,fruit and ice.It has about 30 G protein. It does have a little over 300 calories but I dont think thats so bad for breakfast.

Don't know if you're a big fan of yogurt but Fage fat-free yogurt is sooo good; it's creamy & THICK, has120 cals., 20 grams of protein/cup and you can add splenda, vanilla extract or whatever you like to flavor it up.

Hi,

I'm five months out myself and was not getting enough Protein in. I actually am still losing tons of hair and my skin is so dry. You need the protein so you don't loose muscle mass (it's under there somewhere) lol, instead of fat.

My NUT says I need 80-90 grams of protein at this point. (it seems that different DR's have different requirements) and that I should never go under 70 grams of protein in the future.

I am supplementing with the pre made EAS shakes. They have different shakes with different protein grams. I started at the 17 grams, went up to the 27 grams and now am drinking the shake with 42 grams. (It's 8 oz., so I drink about 1/2 at a time). I have tried so many different shakes and I found I like these the best. I actually love the flavor of these shakes and because their chocolate, I get my choc fix in. I get a case at a time at BJ's. The only thing is, it's not cheap, about $27 for 18 of the 42 grams. The EAS, 17 gram shakes are 24 for $26.

All food groups are important, but what I find they stress the most is Protein and Water.< /strong>

Good luck,

Samantha :-)

PS- don't fill up with empty calories, sf ice cream, Jello, etc. Grab something with protein, yogurt, cheese sticks, hard boiled eggs. I always have hard boiled eggs in the frig. Good for a quick protein fix.

Low fat cottage cheese .... 1/2 cup has 12-13 grams. That's a lot of Protein in a small serving. Protein Shakes can add the protein BUT they are liquid and liquid goes right through your pouch so even though you got the protein, you get no satiety from drinking the shake. Much better to EAT protein. There are protein powders meant to be added to drinks and foods.

Thankfully my doc does not have a problem with me drinking my Protein - thank god. I can't understand how we are supposed to get 60 grams in in a day when we are not able to eat much. I have been faithfully drinking my Protein shakes in the morning and one in the evening as a snack before bedtime. I bought the whey protein at Walmart and put one scoop into a glass of 1% milk. One scoop equals 26 grams of protein. Not only that, my band is tighter in the morning so the shake works great. Plus, it helps to get your body started in the morning.

If a person is unable to eat 60 grams a day of protein, I do not see the harm in supplementing your diet with a shake.. It's a great back-up in case a person cannot get it all in.

Thankfully my doc does not have a problem with me drinking my Protein - thank god. I can't understand how we are supposed to get 60 grams in in a day when we are not able to eat much. I have been faithfully drinking my Protein shakes in the morning and one in the evening as a snack before bedtime. I bought the whey protein at Walmart and put one scoop into a glass of 1% milk. One scoop equals 26 grams of protein. Not only that, my band is tighter in the morning so the shake works great. Plus, it helps to get your body started in the morning.

If a person is unable to eat 60 grams a day of protein, I do not see the harm in supplementing your diet with a shake.. It's a great back-up in case a person cannot get it all in.

Here, here to Mrs B. !!!!

My band is also tighter in the mornings, hence why I supplement my protein with shakes. I would be eating well past midnight to get all the protein in if I had to Eat it all!

Hi, Thanks to this thread and others with similar heading – I have started having Zero Carb Isopure- 2 scopes gives me 50g of Proteins (Dutch Chocolate) .

Love the taste and it gets me the required Proteins for the day!

Thank you once again!

Edited by sahney
Spellings

Multiply your weight by .37 that's how much protien you need daily along with cardio.

Try Isopure clear drink!

40grams in 1 bottle & no carbs!

Taste like a sports drink.

Edited by RedboneLA

Multiply your weight by .37 that's how much protien you need daily along with cardio.

Try Isopure clear drink!

40grams in 1 bottle & no carbs!

Taste like a sports drink.

I drink Isopure too! It taste way better then those Protein shakes....I also eat alot of beef, chicken, and/or fish and unsatled peanuts (small amount)

tuna is great for Protein, as are Beans (pinto, nonfat refried, kidney, cannellini), string cheese, and Peanut Butter made from just peanuts and salt. I also get Progresso Soups that are high protein/low fat, such as green pea & ham or Campbell's bean with ham. I get Wasa crispbread, either the multigrain or light and smear them with half a triangle of light Laughing Cow cheese. The light Bonbel cheese single-serving sizes are nice boosts. Wendy's chili is tasty and Protein filled. One of our family weekend meals is a can of 99% fat-free chili without Beans mixed with half a can of beans. I put some 2% milk cheddar cheese on it. If You feel like that's too much animal protein, you can get a lot of protein from tofu.

Good luck!

I am all about the protien shakes in the morning too. I dont find I get at all hungry as some have said that they slip through your band. I make mine with milk for a little more protien. So I start the day with about 35 grams of protien. Works really well for me!

I'm still on liquids until Sat.

I am starting to get hungry even though I have a protien shake in the am...

I juice fresh veggies (carrots, celery, cucumber, beets, jicima, apple). I was board of the broth...

I think I have too much time on my hands & that's the reason I was banded in the 1st place (boardom eatting).

Hopefully after I return to wk tonight I will feel better & be busy.

I haven't started to work out, I don't want to pop a stich.

Any ideas on when a good time to start is?

I'm still on liquids until Sat.

I am starting to get hungry even though I have a protien shake in the am...

I juice fresh veggies (carrots, celery, cucumber, beets, jicima, apple). I was board of the broth...

I think I have too much time on my hands & that's the reason I was banded in the 1st place (boardom eatting).

Hopefully after I return to wk tonight I will feel better & be busy.

I haven't started to work out, I don't want to pop a stich.

Any ideas on when a good time to start is?

Walking is a great way to exercise. You can start walking if you're not already. Once your stitches are healed you're all set to go! :thumbup: Congrats and good luck on your journey!