Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I am strongly considering the band. My therapist says that I need to talk to three people who've been banded. So, I figure this is the place to start. Any good stories out there? Any horror stories? I know there are lots of success stories as I've been reading now for two days. I thought I'd throw it out to the general public now. Sooooo, any takers?

Hi Wanna Be,

What do you want to know? I've been banded a little over 3 months, and have lost over 40 lbs, so I real am very happy with the band.

Because I didn't have any problems until after my 2nd fill, I never focused on new eating habits, and I paid the price (PBing, sliming). So last week I had a little taken out, and have been feeling much better. What a conundrum - since I don't have a tight restriction, I can get away with my bad eating habits. Need to get on track.

If you have any specific questions, I'm happy to reply.

Hi-I'm a soon to be bander Sept 24th! I went back and forth with myself about it and realized I was only wishy washy because I was worried about what others will think. I've come to this conclusion-this is a personal decision and YOU are the only person who can decide if its the right thing for you to do. If you don't mind me asking-how much weight do you need to lose?

I've lost 75 pounds since my surgery (2/10/09). Horror story? No way! This has been the best thing I ever did for myself. I no longer take any medications for ANYTHING, I have boundless energy and feel better than I can remember.

Is this the easy way out? NONONONONO. You still have to make the right choices about food and you have to change how you eat...that is, smaller bites, well chewed, no drinking during your meals. It is possible to ignore how you should eat and not be successful, so remember that the responsibility lies with you; the band only helps you Without my band, I know for a fact I would have falled off the wagon and started regaining long ago. That's the difference, Unaided, your old habits can and likely will resurfaced. With the help of the band, you have a sort of built-in stop signal.

ParrotHeadCathy...I like the way that you put that the band is a built in stop signal!

My surgery is scheduled for 9/22 and I am just getting over a respitory infection, the last day of my medication is tomorrow but I still have a little drainage do you guys think that will have an affect on my surgery? My pre-op tests are tomorrow.

Have you had any nausea? Did your doctor talk to you about nicotine? Did you have to have any special diet before? If so, what was it? How did you have to prepare for the surgery? What was required? How long did you have to have Clear Liquids? I know it's a lot. But I know nothing. Answer what you can and I'm sure your reply will spark more questions for me. Are you on any meds? Enough for now. Thanks for your help. I'm glad you're happy with your band.

Have you had any nausea? Did your doctor talk to you about nicotine? Did you have to have any special diet before? If so, what was it? How did you have to prepare for the surgery? What was required? How long did you have to have clear liquids? I know it's a lot. But I know nothing. Answer what you can and I'm sure your reply will spark more questions for me. Are you on any meds? Enough for now. Thanks for your help. I'm glad you're happy with your band.

I have not have any nausea, but some people do. If its a problem, you can get a prescription for something before you are discharged.

I don't smoke, so I didn't discuss nicotine with the surgeon.

The pre-op diet is different from doctor to doctor, and even among the same doctor's patients. The purpose is to shrink the liver, so it is easier for them to operate. Mine was for 2 weeks pre-op, and I had to have at least 50g of Protein. less than 1000 calories, and less than 35g of fat. I was given a list of recommended brands of shakes, but I was not restricted to those brands, as long as i met my daily guidelines. I was also allowed SF Jello and up to 2 cups of veggies p/day.

That was the hardest part for me, as I am not a big shake fan. If you have to do a Protein Shake diet for any length of time, I suggest you go online and google Protein Shake samples to find one you like. The two best I liked were Designer whey chocolate and Trader Joe's vanilla Soy Protein powder. I also highly recommend you order powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth Protein Powder. You will really appreciate it after surgery, and it has 21g of Protein per serving.

I had to have a cardiac clearence (due to a history of heart disease in the family) which led me to have a echo stress test and a carotid artery test, plus a plumonary clearence due to my having asthma. Of course there is also the pre-surgery testing (EKG, blood test and I don't rememember what else), plus a letter from my PCP recommending the surgery and why.

While in the hospital (just overnight) I had clear liquids (chicken broth, tea, Propel water). Once I was home I was on a 'Thin Liquid" diet for 10 days, and was allowed Crystal Light (or similar), Decaf coffee/tea, broth, SF hot chocolate, Tomato or V-8 juice, tomato Soup, Vitamin Water, skim/1% milk and diluted juices. I was also supposed to have at least 2 Protein Shakes a day, and at least 6-8 eight oz glasses of fluids p/day. I was also told to take a Multi-Vitamin and Calcium with Vit-D, both either crushed or chewable.< /p>

After that, I did 10 days of mushies. From the mushie stage on, it was easy. For me the worst part was getting through all of those shakes. I haven't had on since, and when I have to go on liquides for 2 days after a fill, I usually drink Isopure Zetro Carb Protein drinks.

I am still on my blood pressure medication, although my pressure has dropped significantly, but my PCP cut the dsoe in half and wants me to continue taking it for a few months. Its a small pill, so not a problem.

Your surgeon/nutritionist should give you their plan for you in writing. I hope this helps.

Joan

nausea-no

2 week liquid ( we were given a certain amount of Meal Replacement drink powder to have each day) pre-op diet with 2-4 cups of certain vegetables for a 10% weight loss

had a pre-op class, then chest x-ray, upper GI, EKG, h-pylori

after surgery, at least 48 hours of clear liquids, then if we felt ready move on to full liquids (thinned creamed cream of wheat, thinned mashed potatoes, as long as it could still pour off a spoon) The main thing is to allow your surgery to heal. Follow your Dr. guidelines exactly during the healing phase especially.

My doc did not have a pre-op diet I just couldn't eat anything for 24 hours before the surgery...only liquids.

After surgery i was on the clear liquid stage for 3 days which includes anything you can see through i.e. Water, crystal light, tea, chicken broth, SF Jello, etc.

Then the full liquid stage for a week. Creamed Soups minus the chunks, Egg drop Soup, wonton soup, etc.

Mushies next. Mashed potatoes, oatmeal, grits, SF pudding, applesauce, etc.

Then the soft foods...tuna, scrambled eggs, ground beef, chicken, baked fish, etc.

I haven't tried bread yet and don't feel like i am ready to either. I described on another thread how I took a bite of a flour tortilla and it was not good! I am still on the soft food stage and I'm a little over 3 weeks post op.

In the first week I did have nausea and the first week and 1/2 I had really bad gas pains in my stomach, chest and shoulder. After I started walking, it began to dissipate. I wish I had started walking right after surgery and I don't think I would have had the gas pains as bad.

Re: nicotine. Sorry I don't smoke.

It seems that every doc is different.

So far everything seems to be going well for me and I am happy that I had the surgery.

Good luck on whatever you decide!

T

Edited by tnewton8351
Added info.

Thank you for your detailed message. It was very informative to me and I will keep it for name brands in the future. Tell me, what does the average lap bander eat after it's all said and done? And how much do they eat? What foods are forbidden for life? Which one's are discouraged? Is it out patient or do you have a hospital stay?

Thank you for your detailed message. It was very informative to me and I will keep it for name brands in the future. Tell me, what does the average lap bander eat after it's all said and done? And how much do they eat? What foods are forbidden for life? Which one's are discouraged? Is it out patient or do you have a hospital stay?

For the most part, I eat what I want, just a lot less of it!

Examples:

IHOP- I eat 1/2 of a two egg omelet and one pancake; pre-banding I would order, AND EAT, 3 eggs/3 pancake meal with a side of toast

CHILI'S- I eat a cup of chili with 4 crackers; pre-banding; skillet queso, 1/2 of a chicken quesadilla order, and 1/2 of a paradise pie

CRACKER BARREL: 1 fried fish fillet, maybe 5 French fries, and 1 biscuit; Pre-banding eat 2-3 biscuits BEFORE my meal, then order whatever entree and eat most of it

I will say that even before I had my first fill, I ensured that I would lose by only putting the amount of food I was supposed to have on my plate. (less than a cup) I would only eat that, and amazingly, I was satisfied, maybe not FULL, but satisfied. I lost 25 lbs before my first fill by following that routine. I do eat whatever I want, even ice cream and candy, but I don't overdo it. I eat a scoop of ice cream instead of a bowl. I eat a serving or less of candy instead of a kingsize. The band is a tool that helps me control the amounts of food I eat. I have lost this weight, so far, without exercising. I know now, that in order to finish losing all of my weight, I must get off of my butt and move. I am, however, still losing, albeit slowly, but still losing.

Oh, I haven't had a soda since before banding and I NEVER drink with my meals or for at least an hour after. This helps me feel satisfied longer.

Forbidden foods, not really sure, but I haven't tried salad, but many eat it. I eat bread, but not often and eat whole wheat Pasta at least once a week.

My surgery was outpatient...surgery at 11:30 am and home around 4:30 pm.

Edited by crzytchr

Have you had any nausea? Did your doctor talk to you about nicotine? Did you have to have any special diet before? If so, what was it? How did you have to prepare for the surgery? What was required? How long did you have to have Clear liquids? I know it's a lot. But I know nothing. Answer what you can and I'm sure your reply will spark more questions for me. Are you on any meds? Enough for now. Thanks for your help. I'm glad you're happy with your band.

Hi there and welcome to lapband talk. My name is Lana and I was banded 05/21/08, I remember being in your position. Curiousity, bewilderment and about to embark on the journey of a life time. I don't have any horror stories but I do have some eye opening stories with regard to the band. Pre-op, surgery and post op were all very uneventful and not really very pain for me, everyone has a different story.

I started very gung ho, with the full understanding that it was only a "tool" and without me it would in no way shape or form transform me into a gorgeous size 2. I understood that I need to exercise and agreed..

The one thing, that has me discouraged are the sheer amount of fills I have to have. So far I have had 10 and with each one I was sure I was getting closer to the spot. I'm just not there yet and it hurts emotionally a little. Exercise has given me a new body, I changed my eating habits, I no longer eat out nor can I tolerate that type of food..(I just can't stand the taste anymore). But yet and still 15 or so months later I'm still hungry and I just don't know if I even want to get another fill. The whole process just takes too much out of my day at this point. I haven't lost much weight as far as the scale is concerned but I do have a shopping list full of NSV. (non scale victories)

Even after all of that, I would do this over again. Those first few weeks without food were actually magical for me. I learned a lot about myself and wanted even more to be on this journey.

I guess the point is, the band is not a miracle. The actual weight loss could take longer than you think and without a real change in self (diet and exercise)there would have been no progress to speak of.

I wish you luck, this is a wonderful place to start. This journey is not without its bumps and bruises, lacks perfection and at times is down right ugly. But its till worth it, even on the days I doubt it (like today) its still worth it.

Lana, You have lost a lot of weight and only have a few pounds to go. I really appreciate your taking the time to give me some honest feedback. I am going for my stress test this morning and tomorrow I get my letter from my therapist. Then my doc will submit for approval. I would love to loose 50 pounds. I understand that it is a journey and the band is just a tool. The change must come from within me. I started riding my bike two days ago and that was fun. I already eat smart (I just eat too much of it!). Again, thanks for thinking of me and good luck to you. I will pray for you.

Lana, You have lost a lot of weight and only have a few pounds to go. I really appreciate your taking the time to give me some honest feedback. I am going for my stress test this morning and tomorrow I get my letter from my therapist. Then my doc will submit for approval. I would love to loose 50 pounds. I understand that it is a journey and the band is just a tool. The change must come from within me. I started riding my bike two days ago and that was fun. I already eat smart (I just eat too much of it!). Again, thanks for thinking of me and good luck to you. I will pray for you.

Thank you, I'm very happy...some days more than others. Thank you for the pray it touches me...

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I am currently 270 with a BMI of 44. So, I need to lose 120 lbs. How about you?