Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello I am new to forum and thinking about lap band

So do you eat more often, just smaller portions?

And you need to just sip on drinks not really drink quickly

I drink normally. I don't chug but don't sip either.

And my doc is one who says 3 meals only no Snacks. The point of the band is portion control; if you graze you can effectively bypass that and cause "failure". Some do snack, but many others are told not to.

If I eat a healthy meal (and I can eat up to about a cup) I usually am full for about 6 hours. So no need to snack. When I want to it is 99% "head hunger", not because my body needs the fuel, but because I "want" the snack for whatever reason. The band doesn't make that go away (just the true physiologic hunger) but knowing I an not REALLY hungry helps.

I'm also one of the lucky ones who can eat anything. White bread, red meat, dry chicken, whatever. As long as I take small bites (and for me that's about 1/2 to 2/3 of a normal bite size; it is NOT pencil eraser sized! LOL) and chew well, I am fine. It's great. Not everyone is that lucky, but it does happen!

So you can actually eat about a cup of food. Wow that is more than I was thinking you could.

I am 3 months out from my surgery. I haven't had any problems with different foods. I've had steak, bread, and spare ribs with no problems. I don't drink 15 minutes before a meal, and wait 60 minutes after. I drink Water and Decaf coffee with non diary Creamer and sweet and low. I just make sure I chew my food well and give myself 20-30 minutes per meal. I only have 3 meals a day and no snacking.

I also was nervous about having the procedure done. I was nervous up to the day of surgery and went back and forth wondering and questioning if I was doing the right thing. Since the surgery I am so thankful that I was able to have this done and went through with it. I do not regret having the surgery for one moment. I feel much better about myself, I'm not fatigued or winded from walking up a flight of stairs anymore, I can partake in more activities with my children now, and I have not had to take my blood pressure medication since the surgery.

Good luck in your journey :thumbup:

What is sliming episode?

Slime comes up from your esophagus, it seems. It's like a thick saliva or mucus. I think it forms naturally to help food pass through, but when you have food stuck it over-produces and comes up. Another term you'll see is PB (productive burp). That's when the food comes back up (you'll usually have the sliming first).

So do you eat more often, just smaller portions?

And you need to just sip on drinks not really drink quickly

I'm allowed three 1/2 cup meals per day plus a snack. My band is placed to allow for four ounces of food in my pouch. If your band is looser, the food will go through the band a little quicker, and you can eat more quantity. My doctor's goal is to get his patient's to feel satisfied for three to four hours between meals on the 1/2 cup servings.

I don't sip my drinks between meals. I drink normally then. If I have something to drink during a meal, I only sip then to make sure I don't drink too much.

One big thing about the band that I think I "knew" but didn't really understand before I got it is this:

The banded person has a large degree of control over his or her banded life.

How tight you are filled is in YOUR hands. I can eat a cup of food; my doc said that is perfect because I am losing. I get satiety (one doesn't go for "full", just satisfied. And honestly for me, full hurts! LOL) on about 1 cup of food, I am losing weight. I could be tighter, but why? Then I probably would need to sip, I could only eat 1/4 to 1/2 cup (or whatever) and certain foods would be off limits.

As I am I can take all my pills without crushing them, I even (at one year post op the doc actually told me "do it as long as it doesn't cause you any pain) can drink carbonated beverages and occasionally have a beer!

Could I be tighter, and more miserable? Sure. Do I want to be? No. I got this for life. It's my tool, not my warden. Life is good, it's grand. And too tight, a person always risks eating the wrong foods because they go down more easily, and thereby gaining.

I don't mean to imply that anyone who has a food intolerance is too tight, ok? I don't mean that at all. BUT WE are in the driver's seat. How your banded life goes is largely in your control. You DO have a band around your stomach. You will need to make good choices, stay hydrated, be responsible. But most of the choice is yours.

I guess actually if I decided I wanted to go on an eating spree I could even do that. I'd need an unfill but once unfilled I really can go to town. It's all my choice.

So yes, 1 cup of food. You may find that's good for you, or too much, or just right. But you'll get to tinker with it and make it work for you. I love that about it.

Just read KLZ's post (before mine) and her doc's goal is 1/2 cup, 3 meals 3-4 hours apart. Mine wants 3 meals 5-6 hours apart, and he said a cup is just perfect. And I do NOT drink with my meals. Not sips. NOTHING. It hurts me, and I feel it's not productive. So you see? There's no hard/fast RIGHT way to do this. Some very successful bandsters snack, too. I do better if I don't, but not all are like that. It's really really individual. Love it.

Edited by RestlessMonkey

I am 3 months out from my surgery. I haven't had any problems with different foods. I've had steak, bread, and spare ribs with no problems. I don't drink 15 minutes before a meal, and wait 60 minutes after. I drink Water and Decaf coffee with non diary creamer and sweet and low. I just make sure I chew my food well and give myself 20-30 minutes per meal. I only have 3 meals a day and no snacking.

I also was nervous about having the procedure done. I was nervous up to the day of surgery and went back and forth wondering and questioning if I was doing the right thing. Since the surgery I am so thankful that I was able to have this done and went through with it. I do not regret having the surgery for one moment. I feel much better about myself, I'm not fatigued or winded from walking up a flight of stairs anymore, I can partake in more activities with my children now, and I have not had to take my blood pressure medication since the surgery.

Good luck in your journey :thumbup:

Wow this was so helpful.

I would like to thank all of you today. You are making my nerves calm down. I love all the feed back you are giving me. I can't wait to hear more.

I can't wait till the 30th. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing.

One big thing about the band that I think I "knew" but didn't really understand before I got it is this:

The banded person has a large degree of control over his or her banded life.

How tight you are filled is in YOUR hands. I can eat a cup of food; my doc said that is perfect because I am losing. I get satiety (one doesn't go for "full", just satisfied. And honestly for me, full hurts! LOL) on about 1 cup of food, I am losing weight. I could be tighter, but why? Then I probably would need to sip, I could only eat 1/4 to 1/2 cup (or whatever) and certain foods would be off limits.

As I am I can take all my pills without crushing them, I even (at one year post op the doc actually told me "do it as long as it doesn't cause you any pain) can drink carbonated beverages and occasionally have a beer!

Could I be tighter, and more miserable? Sure. Do I want to be? No. I got this for life. It's my tool, not my warden. Life is good, it's grand. And too tight, a person always risks eating the wrong foods because they go down more easily, and thereby gaining.

I don't mean to imply that anyone who has a food intolerance is too tight, ok? I don't mean that at all. BUT WE are in the driver's seat. How your banded life goes is largely in your control. You DO have a band around your stomach. You will need to make good choices, stay hydrated, be responsible. But most of the choice is yours.

I guess actually if I decided I wanted to go on an eating spree I could even do that. I'd need an unfill but once unfilled I really can go to town. It's all my choice.

So yes, 1 cup of food. You may find that's good for you, or too much, or just right. But you'll get to tinker with it and make it work for you. I love that about it.

Just read KLZ's post (before mine) and her doc's goal is 1/2 cup, 3 meals 3-4 hours apart. Mine wants 3 meals 5-6 hours apart, and he said a cup is just perfect. And I do NOT drink with my meals. Not sips. NOTHING. It hurts me, and I feel it's not productive. So you see? There's no hard/fast RIGHT way to do this. Some very successful bandsters snack, too. I do better if I don't, but not all are like that. It's really really individual. Love it.

I totally agree. It is up to me and for me to be in control. I appreciate all your advice.

Dean,

You have had some very good advice and experiances replied back to you. The only thing I can add is.... Yes, I was nervous before surgery,, about the surgery itself, failing AGAIN. BUT... I WAS MORE NERVOUS NOT TO HAVE THE SURGERY. I was so close to diabeties, had high blood pressure, out of breath.. all of the things that go with being Morbidly obease. I HAD TO DO SOMETHING.

I was self pay and do not regret one cent that I spent. I do not regret it for one minuite...... only wish I would have done it sooner.

Dean,

You have had some very good advice and experiances replied back to you. The only thing I can add is.... Yes, I was nervous before surgery,, about the surgery itself, failing AGAIN. BUT... I WAS MORE NERVOUS NOT TO HAVE THE SURGERY. I was so close to diabeties, had high blood pressure, out of breath.. all of the things that go with being Morbidly obease. I HAD TO DO SOMETHING.

I was self pay and do not regret one cent that I spent. I do not regret it for one minuite...... only wish I would have done it sooner.

The more information I have been getting here from everyone is making me feel much better about my decision to go ahead and make my appointment with the surgeon.

See I already have borderline high blood pressure, high cholesterol, thyroid problems, swelling and joint pain, heart issues, depression, anxiety and I am on at least 8 different medicines at the age of 36. I want to feel better and be healthy. I would love to know what it is like to live just one day with no pain. I have some kind of joint pain everyday. I have almost become used to the pain being there. I also want to sleep better. Be able to walk and not get so winded.

You have all made me feel more confident about this surgery.

Still I do not want to be looked at as a failure and someone who is weak. (You know my family) not at home but siblings.

Any way I feel much better and less nervous, kind of excited.:biggrin:

Man my tail bone is killing me. I am a professional faller. I hope after having surgery I will not be such a faller.

You know what.... You can live with less pain... YOU CAN......... I understand the feeling of failure, but.. I DID NOT FAIL THIS TIME. I gave it my all.. my110 %

I sent you a private message on the letter I sent my family about my band.

read it...

Lois

Well looks like everything has come to a screaching halt. I had my family doctor call Friday and tell me that my Iron is way to low and that she wants me to see gastrologist and hemotoligsit to try to find out where I am having blood loss.

So until that is fixed I will not be doing anything.

Thank you all for your support and your stories.

Dean

I'm sorry to hear that, Mary. I have a feeling, as overweight people, we often overlook symptoms of Iron deficiencies and other similar illnesses, because we tend to attribute tiredness and pain to our weight. I hope you quickly get to the root of the problem, and that you're back on track for a band very soon.