Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't have enough energy to exercise.

I'm exhausted. How can anyone have enough energy to exercise when they're only getting 600-800 calories/day? I am getting plenty of Protein. I can get through the day as far as my work and my household go, but if I didn't HAVE to do those things and I had some extra time, I'd be napping, not exercising.

Hi Sally,

I just wanted to offer you some support...its important to remember that being newly banded your body is going through a lot of changes. You are also going to have the anastesia in your system still and can have it for up to 6-12mths which causes you to become tired more easily. When i was banded this was a huge problem for me.

It is important that you take a good Multivitamin and a probiotic is also helpful, i found these things to be a great help during my first year.

Having surgery affects people differently and you should try not to compare yourself to others, just take it slow and try your best throughout the day to get in some exercise...the more you do the more energy you get.

Simple things like taking the stairs at first will make a difference !

It will get better :-)

Bel

I hope you start to feel better soon. I had issues in the first 3 weeks after surgery. I went to my PCP and found out that I needed to get off my blood pressure medicine much sooner than they expected. Because my BP was too low I had no energy, all I wanted to do was sleeeeeep, nap, and rest.

You may want to check with your primary care physician to see if you might be having similar issues. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

You've are still recovering from surgery. The 2nd week out all I wanted to do was sleep too. I was also told to walk and not do any other kind of exercise. I would say don't push it too soon. You can start out slowly and work up to more vigorous exercise as your body heals. Good luck!

I was going to start in with a lecture on why you are eating that little, but you ARE only 3 weeks out.

Give it time, and as you heal, your calorie intake will increase, eventually to a point where you dont lose any weight, lol, which is when it is time for a fill.

Long term, it is no way necessary to survive on such a tiny calorie intake and your body will thank you for eating more so that you can move more.

As it is now, you're not only barely eating, but you're still recovering.

Hi Sally,

I think we're at a transition point.. where we need exercise for energy, but may not have the energy to exercise. I know for me it has been hard to get moving consistently and with intensity. Tonight I took a 1.75 mile walk and then went to the gym to do exercises in the pool. I feel good but know I am going to sleep like a baby tonight. :blink:

I have found that I am suddenly able to eat more, everything I try seems to go down fine. I am trying to hold back a little though. I am having oatmeal for Breakfast with milk, today I had tuna and crackers for lunch, watermelon as a snack, and then stopped for frozen yogurt on the way home from the gym. I also had a 30gram Protein drink mid afternoon. I also brought string cheese and applesauce to work but didn't eat them. I need to journal to see how many calories I am taking in... the organization of it all takes so much time!!

Good luck.. start slow and you will do fine! I know you have a couple of kids to run after too!? My dog whines at me to take her for a walk... that is good motivation!

I'm exhausted. How can anyone have enough energy to exercise when they're only getting 600-800 calories/day? I am getting plenty of Protein. I can get through the day as far as my work and my household go, but if I didn't HAVE to do those things and I had some extra time, I'd be napping, not exercising.

hi Sally,

it's terrible for me to say this...but I am glad to hear this, I am the same! I thought I was just a lazy sod! I have been reading here on this site about all the great folk who have been going to the gym, walking miles etc and I was feeling so envious. I borrowed my brothers snazzy top of the range excercise bike last week with the intention of exercising 30 minutes every night, guess how much I did? 2 mins 30 secs!

I was with my own doctor (we say GP over here) and he does not want me to go to the gym yet, he advises that I take walks at my own pace and not to overdo it yet, I am still off work and my GP insists that I not go back to work for another 4 weeks! he says my body is going through metabolic changes and he doesn't want me to go back until then. I am very lucky, I am still on full pay whilst I am off 'sick' so I suppose I should take advantage of his advice, again, I feel like a lazy sod :blink:

hi Sally,

it's terrible for me to say this...but I am glad to hear this, I am the same! I thought I was just a lazy sod! I have been reading here on this site about all the great folk who have been going to the gym, walking miles etc and I was feeling so envious. I borrowed my brothers snazzy top of the range excercise bike last week with the intention of exercising 30 minutes every night, guess how much I did? 2 mins 30 secs!

I was with my own doctor (we say GP over here) and he does not want me to go to the gym yet, he advises that I take walks at my own pace and not to overdo it yet, I am still off work and my GP insists that I not go back to work for another 4 weeks! he says my body is going through metabolic changes and he doesn't want me to go back until then. I am very lucky, I am still on full pay whilst I am off 'sick' so I suppose I should take advantage of his advice, again, I feel like a lazy sod :mad2:

Wow, I want your insurance plan and work schedule. My insurance won't pay for weight loss surgery and I had to go to Mexico and self pay. It's great that you don't have to go back to work until you are feeling better.

SALLY, Jackie has good advise. You will be able to eat more and should when you are healed. You will have more energy especially as the weight comes off.

Hi,

I was banded on the 27th. I seem to have more energy but finding the motivation is harder. I am walking after work in the park near my building. If I change and put on sneakers at the office I do not go home first and find an excuse not to walk. I enjoy walking and I am going to start doing hand weights at night when I watch television. I know that if I can get into a pattern I will benefit. How are you doing on the diet with mush food?

Thanks for the support, everyone. In my head, I know that regular exercise will make me feel more energetic. I just need to get my body to understand that!

Jachut, I know that you are on maintenance at this point but I do have a question for you. Once I start eating regular food again, I have been advised to aim for 3 meals of 1/2 cup each and to focus on eating healthy Proteins first. The remainder of the meal should be non-starchy veggies or fruit. I am not supposed to snack. It seems to me that 1.5 cups of food per day is still going to result in a very low calorie intake for someone who is also trying to exercise, especially if I am conscientious about making healthy food choices.

Kate, I'm not sure if the TOS here allow us to post links to other sites, but I track my calories, Protein, carbs, sodium, etc. on The Daily Plate. It's super easy and they also have a nice weight chart.

Sally,

Ask your doctor to do some lab work. You may be anemic or need a supplement. I will have my blood drawn in the AM. They take 12 or 14 tubes of blood. Oh...I had a B12 def. and when my levels became normal prior to surgery I had so much more energy. Now, I am pooped most of the time. Also, we all had major surgery, so give it some time. I am about 1 1/2 months post-op and I am still not 100%. One of my incisions just closed. There is a steep learing curve. We are used to eating everthing damn thing..now we consume a fraction of the calories and nutrients. I can eat anything now, I am training myself to eat in moderation. I love chips, cupcakes and cinnamon Buns and can eat them. I am not a good girl everyday, but it is working for me. I wish you the best. GOAL...Summer 2010 size 10!!!!

These are the labs I have at 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12 months post-op. Then yearly after that.

Prealbumin

25 OH Vitamin D

Folate

Magnesium

CMP

LFT

HbgA1C

Lipid Panel

CBC w Diff / Plt

Iron & IBC

Uric Acid

Transferrin

TSH

Vit. B1

Vit. B6

Vit. B12

Serum Vit. A

Serum Ferritin

Serum Zinc

Serum Copper

Jachut, I know that you are on maintenance at this point but I do have a question for you. Once I start eating regular food again, I have been advised to aim for 3 meals of 1/2 cup each and to focus on eating healthy Proteins first. The remainder of the meal should be non-starchy veggies or fruit. I am not supposed to snack. It seems to me that 1.5 cups of food per day is still going to result in a very low calorie intake for someone who is also trying to exercise, especially if I am conscientious about making healthy food choices.

QUOTE]

Well, you're right. I have not been advised to eat this way and I dont! I eat lots of good carbs, my diet is more good carb based than Protein based, and I eat how much satisfied me.

My typical Breakfast

3 or 4 prunes

about 2 tbspns organic muesli

1/2 piece wholegrain toast and vegemite

Lunch:

a wholegrain sandwich with tuna, lettuce, Tomato, cucumber and sprouts (I cut the crusts off and can eat about 3/4 of it), or a salad with similar vegies and a Protein, or dinner leftovers, or occasionally, something like a meat pie (aussie thing) which again, I eat half to 3/4 of

Dinner:

we usually eat healthy meat and 3 veg type meals, chicken, lamb, beef or something like organic sausages, occasinally Pasta dishes, very varied. I eat about 3/4 of a cup of dinner - however dinner for me is usually protein first and non starchy veg. I dont need the energy from carbs at night and i find it pushes the days calories up a lot to have a serve or Pasta or rice. A couple of nights a week I'll have a small glass of wine too.

I try not to eat between meals becuase once I start, I tend to pick pick pick. It works best for me just not to do it. I drink Water, and plain coffee or tea - in Australia a latte is 1/3 espresso and 2/3 steamed milk, so even when I buy coffee out I dont have one of those confectionary coffee habits!

I have my band loose enough to enable me to eat this way. I am on maintenance, yes, but my maintenance diet is the same as what I ate to lose, its just that my loss petered out over time till it stopped.

I think any bandster that really exercises properly would probably find they can eat this way.

Edited by Jachut