Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days post op questions

All in all I am doing pretty good. My surgery was 9/9 I have a lot of pain at my port. Is this normal? I can walk but only for a little while because it is so sore. I feel ok but when should the pain & soreness go away?

I am not hungry but I am craving different tastes & chewing. My doctor wants me to be on liquids for 2 weeks. Does anyone have any good tips for liquids?

I am doing Carnation essentials sugar free which is really good, Isopure, Jello & sugar free pops and broth. Is there any other good shakes or liquids people have had?

I have not had too much gas pain but a lot of burping but I have not gone had a bowel moement at all. Is this OK? Should I be having one and what can I take to help it?

Also, at night I have some trouble breathing (but I dont think it is a lung problem)and sleeping is difficult. I have to be propped up on 8 pillows!

All in all I am doing pretty good. My surgery was 9/9 I have a lot of pain at my port. Is this normal? I can walk but only for a little while because it is so sore. I feel ok but when should the pain & soreness go away?

I am not hungry but I am craving different tastes & chewing. My doctor wants me to be on liquids for 2 weeks. Does anyone have any good tips for liquids?

I am doing Carnation essentials sugar free which is really good, Isopure, Jello & sugar free pops and broth. Is there any other good shakes or liquids people have had?

I have not had too much gas pain but a lot of burping but I have not gone had a bowel moement at all. Is this OK? Should I be having one and what can I take to help it?

Also, at night I have some trouble breathing (but I dont think it is a lung problem)and sleeping is difficult. I have to be propped up on 8 pillows!

Hi!

It is normal for the port site to be tender. The port is attached to a muscle and anytime a muscle is messed with -- it is sore. It is also normal to not have a bowel movement right after surgery. I think my first BM was 3 days post op -- and it was not a lot.

I also has to prop myself up with pillows -- the gas and swelling made sleeping a little uncomfortable for awhile.

To help with the liquid diet, I took all the Soups I like and strained the "chunks" out of them. They still retained the taste, but required no chewing.

Hang in there, it will pass!

Edited by Rutiglius
addition

Hi there.

My experience has been very similar. Some muscular pain near the port (like I'm winded or something) and a lot of gas. I also found that propping myself up on pillows to sleep a bit helped.

The general pain is fading now and I hope you find things more comfortable over the next couple of days. My doctor recommended mixing in a soluble fibre (we have a product in Oz called benefiber that dissolves completely and is tasteless) and that has meant fairly normal BM's for me.

Cheers!

I had the same experience....a ton of pain at the port site. It felt like they had cut through my ab muscles at that spot, which made it very sore to get up and down. It would even hurt when I would breathe deeply. This soreness from that incision, PLUS the gas...I was miserable! They also wouldn't give me more pain meds, so I had a really hard first week.

One thing that was annoying for me was that I thought I would feel just fine after 2-3 days, and that I could return to work. Just know that everyone recovers at a different pace, and just take it easy and get the rest and relaxation you need.

(One thing that I found really helpful for the gas was to take long, SLOW walks...that way I didn't breathe too heavy and make the port site hurt.)

Just know that everyone recovers at a different pace, and just take it easy and get the rest and relaxation you need.

(One thing that I found really helpful for the gas was to take long, SLOW walks...that way I didn't breathe too heavy and make the port site hurt.)

This is great advice and worked for me too. Slow walks (be ready for the passing of gas in record amounts though!) has helped me tremendously. Getting the rest that YOU need is essential and terrific counsel.

I was banded on 090909, and having a very similar experience. Each day, the pain seems to lessen a little more, and I feel like I can eat a little more. My port site is still sore, but my most intense pain spot isn't an insicion at all, I think it is where the band is on my stomach.

It kind of worries me that I feel like I can eat more then the liquids, I can handle food chewed well enough that it seems liquified. The nutritianist said that if I could chew it enough that it would fit through a straw, then it would be ok.. so I am going with that. I don't think I have taken in more then maybe 800 calories total all day, but I feel very full and satisfied... I am just nervous that it has not been totally liquids.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Edited by amaretto

I was given a tummy support to wear for the first week which definitely helped with the pain cos it stopped my tummy from jiggling when I walked or moved. Ive had minimal pain or discomfort from my incisions, including the port. Ive been walking and using GasX strips for the gas. Seems to work pretty well.

I am exactly 4 days post op (9/14/09) and my port pain seems to be subsiding. Still have some difficulty taking deep breaths due to the gas pain. I have had to use pillows to prop myself and find a comfortable spot trying to sleep. Fortunately, that has passed, but I have always liked using pillows to prop myself while sleeping. I don't seem to be getting hungry much. There are times where my stomach seems to be growling for hunger. Seemed like I was bloated last night (pillows helped) but was fine by 4am.:blink:

I am 2 weeks post op today and my recovery was the same as you all describe. The gas was debilitating. I too thought I would be up and back to work in a week, it was more like 12 days.

I still have some soreness at my port and band incsion sites and the burping continues but I feel so much better.

Listen to your body, take the time you need to heal . Last week at this time I thought I had made a huge mistake but now I know I didn't. :blink:

Congrats to you all and healthy recovery!

Kim

I am the same way! I am 5 days post op with same problems

I am one week post op and I too thought I'd go back to work on the 4th day, no way, I went back on the 6th day and had to leave early, went back again the next day and left early. Everyone is different and I guess it depends what kind of work you do. I basically sit in front of a computer all day but sitting up caused a lot of pain and gas after several hours. Everytime I swiveled in my chair, my incisions hurt and my pants felt like they were pressing on them---not a good situation, luckily I have the type of job where I could leave. I'm hoping with this three day weekend that I'll just lay around and heal more.

I find myself eating about six times a day-does that sound right to everyone?? I was given a "schedule" of what I should eat and when and that doesn't work for me. I am still on full liquids another week, then mushies for two weeks. I'm supposed to see my doctor before I go to reg. food. I'm basically eating when I am hungry and finding half a cup of food or a 4 oz Protein shake fills me up for a few hours. I'm averaging 900 calories a day.

No burping for me, I never had the shoulder pain which sounded awful. Been walking everyday for a half hour. It hurts if I bend down to pick something up. Still using a heating pad cause it feels good.

Right before the surgery, when they put the IV in, I wanted to bolt, I pictured myself saying--please, take it out, I've changed my mind. But now I'm glad I did it although I realize I must be more hypervigilant about what I eat and that takes work. I'm really afraid of damaging my band or even of throwing up.

Good luck to everyone--