Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Went off puree food once and now I am worried I did damage

I am in the puree food stage (2 weeks post surgery). I had an impromptu family function after work and did not have a Protein Shake or the ability to puree any of the food. I have been feeling really well and so I thought that eating a little macaroni salad with mayo, tuna, and egg would be okay as long as I ate small pieces at a time and chewed it really well. I also did the same with some Beans. Several hours later I started to feel some pressure in my chest and since then I have been having periodic sever chest pain that would last for a couple seconds and then go away. My husband thinks it is heartburn (which I have never had before). However, it is now two and a half days later and I still have it. I have taken GasX which did not help. I am now trying Prilosec. I am worried that I may have done some damage.:wink:

You should've called your doc and in fact if he has an after-hours number you should do it now. There is a reason for the gradual post op diet; our stomachs churn when we eat to aid in digestion. That churning action, before our bands are well healed into place, can cause a slip.

Especially since you felt pain and still feel it, you need to call your doc and let him either tell you what to take, or get you in for tests to see if your band is still ok.

Thanks, I had actually called the doctor on Friday and the Nurse informed me to wait it out over the weekend and if the pain still persists or gets worse to call them next week. So I guess at this point it is just a waiting game.

Ok. How are you feeling today?

As I understand it, it usually churns anything you need to chew. Even chewing gum can trigger peristalsis.

Normally by Puree time it isn't as important BUT...1. the OP is still having pain and that's not good and 2. For many, the first 2 weeks are liquids only. And the OP ate the food 2 1/2 days before her post, meaning she was still in liquids when she ate the solids. Regardless of where she is NOW, then she was on liquids and ate solid food.

(understand I mean this to explain, not fuss. We're all human.)

For many, a major cause of slips is eating the wrong foods too soon and tuna, eggs, mayo and Pasta, besides the fact that she ate it too early, is harder to digest than some mashed potatoes.

So; too soon, and the wrong food, and continued pain several days later means she needs to have it checked out. :wink:

My surgeon said from his experience and research the hands down number one cause of slips is advancing the post op diet too soon. So it's best just to stick to the plan your doc gives you. If you're like me, pre-band "cheating" on a diet was almost a way of life as I batttled my weight for years. They should call the post op diet something else like "plan for healing" because if ever you stick to a diet, the pre and post op ones are the ones you should commit to. But many of us don't realize that and unfortunately, sometimes we get caught and the consequences are not too happy.

Edited by RestlessMonkey

I'm sure you are okay. My doctor tells me if you think something is stuck drink a pepsi something carbonated just a drink or 2. He says it will wash just about anything down. I haven't had any problems and glad but i need a fill really bad and i have transfered to another doctor don't see him till sept 28 . hopefully i will get one then cause i feel like i can eat as much as i did before my surgery but i try and watch what i eat. but if i had stretched back out maybe they can go back in and move the band some and do all over . but i think every thing is okay or i tell my self that. My weight loss is slow but my husband tells me i have been lifting weights and walking for about 6 weeks know and doing my wii and he can tell I am starting to shape up and get my figur back and really looking better but the scales are not going down just up a few pounds but i try every day. and going to try harder. so i hope you get yours figured out and things are okay.

ucdep99

Since you were banded almost 4 months ago, ucdep99, you're in a very different stage of healing from that of the original post. AND many docs say no carbonation! It's great that you know what you're supposed to do and do it, and that you get guidance from your doc. But it's not good for anyone, especially a new bandster who is learning the ropes, to disregard his or her surgeon's advice, especially for "evidence" from we pros here on LBT. :wink:

Not posting this to be a horse's batootie; just to point out we all need to remember we're different, with different docs. When in doubt, we need to let the medical professional advise us. Since the OP was still in pain, that's a little worrisome. I wish she'd post and let us know if she's still feeling poorly or if she's feeling better now!

Since you were banded almost 4 months ago, ucdep99, you're in a very different stage of healing from that of the original post. AND many docs say no carbonation! It's great that you know what you're supposed to do and do it, and that you get guidance from your doc. But it's not good for anyone, especially a new bandster who is learning the ropes, to disregard his or her surgeon's advice, especially for "evidence" from we pros here on LBT. :wink:

Not posting this to be a horse's batootie; just to point out we all need to remember we're different, with different docs. When in doubt, we need to let the medical professional advise us. Since the OP was still in pain, that's a little worrisome. I wish she'd post and let us know if she's still feeling poorly or if she's feeling better now!

I agree with RM! What if something worse happened. .

Sorry for not getting back to all those who took the time to respond to my original post. I have been working long hours at work and have not had an opportunity before this weekend to get back to this post.

As an update . . . I am okay, the pain took from Wednesday morning to Saturday to stop. I think it was heartburn (which I have never experienced before so it was a bit scary). 1 day and a half after I switched to prilosec OTC the pain went away and has not returned. I am now on the soft foods stage and it is going very well. I am staying totally away from anything with Pasta or flour in it. I feel great which can sometimes be misleading when you think about what you should and should not be eating or doing. Just taking it easy now and being causious when I eat.