Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Roger De La Torre - Does anyone have Dr. De La Torre?

I was not required to do a pre-op diet I had surgery 10-7-09 I have only lost 20 lbs. I have 5 and 3/4 cc. I have no restrction. I have to diet and count calories if I want to loose any weight. I do not eat in between meals like I use to and I eat alot less food then before. I joined a gym 3 weeks ago so I'am hoping that's going to boost up the weight loss. I never thought it was going to take this long to get restriction most people have lost 60lbs. by now I have noticed from reading other peoples post that our doctor is very conservative alot of people get 3 and 4 cc for thier 1st fill or they already have some fill in from surgery. I think it's just going to be a matter of time until I get some restriction and the weight will start coming off. I always beg for an aggressive fill but never get one. I can still eat anything and really do not have to chew things up all that well yet so that makes me think I may have to have 2 or 3 more fills to hit my sweet spot. I just keep concentrating on drinking my Water, eating Protein first and exercising thats all I can really do for now. I have read alot of comments on here about not eating slider foods I guess the more solid food you eat the longer it stays in that upper pouch so the less calories you eat overall. I try to stay away from yogurt pudding and cottage cheese for that reason. Do you attend the support groups?

Lisa, I have attended 3 support groups, one associated with Dr. De La Torre's office and 2 at Boone Hospital in Columbia. (this is where all of my friends went) They all swear that the support group is their anchor. They have a really good one. I don't feel so alone after hearing your story. It is very discouraging to have cut back the way we have for this long and not manage to drop any more than we have. I did get 4 cc. my first fill and then 1cc. each time after that. This week I started back to drinking two Protein Drinks and having one meal. I think it is going to make a difference. Did Dr. DLT do your surgery? I was required to do a two week pre-op diet with his clinic. How many calories do you get a day? I've been told to keep it at 1200. Also, do you have alot to lose? I started at 232 and am down to 189. I originally had set a goal of 130 but I don't know how realistic that is. I will be happy with 140. I'm only 5'1"! I have already noticed a difference in how I feel....joints, energy, self-esteem, etc. It won't be long until we can get outside to walk or bike. We have to remember, we are so much better off today than we were yesterday. Take one day at a time.

Brenda :-)

brendar, I had my 4th fill yesterday and received 1.75cc and was told that was an agressive fill. I think that brings my total to 7.25cc I'am on liquids today so it's hard to tell. I was never told to count calories, but when I keep track I'am always under 1,500, most of the time it averages 1,200 a day. I was told to drink 64oz Water daily (no caloric fluid), exercise for at least 20min and eat Protein first. I thought the weight would fall off at this point. I usually only get to the gym 3 days a week. When I weighed in yesterday at the nurse station I weighed exactly the same as last month. It is my time of the month so maybe I lost 4-5lbs. I started at 242lbs the day of surgery and my scale says 221.6 so that is a total of 20.4lbs lost since surgery 5 months ago. I am thankful for those 20lbs. I know there is no way I would of lost and kept those lbs.off without the band I feel that is progress. I'am 5'2" so I think 130lbs. is also a good goal for me but I really go by what size clothes I wear more than anything and I want to wear a size 12 in pants or a size large in shirts and I would be happy. that may be a weight of 170lbs. for me. which I have not seen since high school. I usally only take it 10lbs. at a time I like mini goals so I have celebrated 2 victories already. Oh and yes Dr. DLT did my surgery at DePaul Hospital.

Edited by Lisa73

Lisa,

How is it going since your fill? Do you feel alot more restriction?

Some people say that there are certain foods they can't tolerate when they're at their right fill. So far, everything goes down for me. There are some foods that I have to be careful and remember to chew but all in all, I haven't had any problems to speak of. I have thrown up only twice. That was an experience! I started drinking Protein drinks again with one meal and am seeing some progress. For me, it's easier to limit my food rather than eat three times a day. This might get really old at some point but I am realizing that in order to lose, I'm going to have to really cut back on how much food goes in my mouth. I just don't feel I'm at the point that my band is going to restrict me to a small amount and I obviously can't quit at 1/2 cup per meal. :-) I would like to find out what others eat. Maybe some different recipes.

Do you have to take the Calcium supplement, daily Vitamin and Zantac? I'm pretty new with this lapband site and don't really know my way around. Is there anything that you suggest is really good to look at? I still don't know how to get to the thread we're talking on without logging in and then going to my personal email and clicking the site. I'm a school secretary and am on a computer all day long. You'd think I could figure this out. Hang in there and I'm anxious to hear how you're doing since your fill.

Brenda

brendar, I still do not have good restriction I do eat less, but it is still like 2 cups of food. I had a wisdom tooth cut out yesterday so I'm back on mushie foods for a few days. The pain meds make feel a little light headed so that's no fun. I have found some recipes on this sight go to the main page select FOOD & NUTRITION look at the sub-forum and select COOKING, BAKING & RECIPES. I also like my cook books titled Hungry Girl 200 and under 200. all the recipes are under 200 calories I bought them at Target I really like them alot, most of the recipes are a single serving dishes. I also take my daily supplements but I think they taste horrible I'm going to look for something different I have Bariatric Advantage. Doctor told me to take Prilosec and I have already found a different Calcium supplement I use over the counter chewables. I get on this websight everyday and read alot I usually just go to New Post at the top of the home page. To get to our post you select LAP-BAND SURGEONS (BRAND NEW) then click on Missouri then select Bridgeton then select Dr. Roger De La Torre then select Does anyone have Dr. De La Torre?

I am hoping to have my surgery done by him at either this office or the columbia office...I have heard nothing but good things about them.. @lisa you by chance don't workout at the ymca in granite do you??

Dr. De La Torre left the DePaul location not long after I had my surgery so now I see Dr. Morales when I go in. My surgery went really well and I highly recommend him. Dr. D is very conservative with fills. No I don't workout in Granite I have a membership to Club Fitness in Alton. Good luck!