Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band rules you consistently 'break'?

Like others have said, we all need to do what works for us.

I'm no longer on a 'diet' (yep, I've been thin many times...been up and down that yo-yo for too many years) and there is no food or drink that is off limits for me. I'm glad I was able to find a doc with the same philosophy (straws, carbonation-he says the 'stretching the pouch' thing is a bunch of bunk, alcohol, caffeine all are allowed after healing). Everything in moderation. If I had a bunch of off-limit foods/drink then I know I'd be feeling deprived and feeling like I was on yet another diet that I couldn't do forever. I don't feel deprived...sure I some weeks lose more slowly than others, like when I drank lots of alcohol on vacation last week, but it's a lifestyle I can live with forever and I'm still losing.

So, like others with not many rules, the only one I break sometimes is drinking with eating or too soon before/after meals, but even that doesn't usually effect how much I eat or how hungry I get.

Best wishes all!

I'm actually surprised at some of the very judgemental folks on this board. I couldn't care less if you folks are snacking between meals or drinking carbonated drinks. What do I care? As long as it's not sabotaging your weight loss.

As for me, the hardest thing not to do is drink while eating. I don't. I try to stop drinking at least 30minutes before. But it's hard.

And straws. Man....I've accidentally sipped out of a straw, and guess what? My stomach didn't explode!! I've been told not to use them. So I haven't. But since I've tried it and nothing happened, I think that I wouldn't mind breaking that rule at some points.

I'm still a newbie being just a hair under 6 weeks post op. The one thing I'm having the hardest time with is staying at 25 grams of fat per day or less. I try to follow it but never seem to stay within that limit. Hopefully as I get farther out I'll get better about doing it but right now I'm breaking that one a lot.

I have a problem with waiting the 30 minutes after eating to drink somethink and actually will clock watch but don't always make it. I will also order a drink when eating out if they have "to go" cups and take it with me.

Band groupie, I really like your philosophy. I live by the same thoughts, no diets for me anymore. The only problem is I have not lost any weight since about 8 months after surgery I am almost at a year now and have lost 50, but none in four months.

When some of you guys say "snacking" what type of snacking are you talking about. My nutritionalist suggest snacking. Thing like string cheese, Peanut Butter on crackers, cottage cheese, thing of that nature. Protein things. Now eating, what the army calls "Fatty Cakes" like Little Debbies and such is different.

Now I do struggle with drinking with meals only because I like spicy stuff. I always was one to almost drink more at dinner than eat. I have never been a fan of soda but really sweet tea was my choice. I stay away from that now and am the biggest fan of Water... I would go through atleast 2 1/2 glasses when going out to dinner. Now I just order Water and maybe drink 4 or 5 sips, so I think I am doing very well. I am almost 6 weeks post op and will be having my first fill next week and couldn't be more happy. Almost lost 20 lbs in 6 weeks. I must be doing something right!!!! Jennifer

I have to say a year after surgery my biggest issue is not drinking while I eat. I am getting better with it.

I don't have a problem with drinking with my meals, since my surgeon says a few SIPS won't hurt, as long as I can handle it. Also his instructions for stoping/starting before/after meals is 5 min before and 20 min after, which I find quite easy to follow.

When I snack, I try to have something w/protein and/or healthy, e.g. yougurt, Protein enriched pudding, fruit.< /p>

My doctor allows coffee, soda, alcohol, and popcorn, so I don't have to do without those (though I don't have as much of them now). But he discourages using a straw; I want to follow that rule, but never realize I've broken it until a few hours or even a day later! I don't eat/drink out that often though, and I never use a straw at home, so it's not as bad as it could be.

Edited by L12

I'm actually surprised at some of the very judgemental folks on this board. I couldn't care less if you folks are snacking between meals or drinking carbonated drinks. What do I care? As long as it's not sabotaging your weight loss.

As for me, the hardest thing not to do is drink while eating. I don't. I try to stop drinking at least 30minutes before. But it's hard.

And straws. Man....I've accidentally sipped out of a straw, and guess what? My stomach didn't explode!! I've been told not to use them. So I haven't. But since I've tried it and nothing happened, I think that I wouldn't mind breaking that rule at some points.

Get used to it--it's rampant here.

I truly thought I could never sit at a meal without one or two drinks--it's the easiest thing for me to do now, I have no idea how I do it either!

I use a straw and I was such a dork I even used it in front of my surgeon. (He didn't have to much sympathy for me after that).

I have never heard of the coffee thing either thank goodness or I would break that one every day.

I drink coffee and when I am out I will get a diet Coke or pepsi, my big treat.

I had my first drink this past weekend. A frozen margretta! Awesome.:sneaky:

I also have a very hard time not drinking with my meals!

I was banded April 20th 2009

I have stuck to most of the rules, but to be honest have broken a few as well. I have such a bad problem with eating slowly and have gotten stuck and sometimes can get past it other times I can't and it comes back up. I tried one of those mini cans of Pepsi Max, let it set for along while and put it over ice...didn't have a problem, but worry that it will mess up the band...so haven't tried another one. I'm a bit of scaredy cat when it comes to break some rules, because although I have had 2 cc's fill...I still have times I know I am eating way too much...but I can it doesnt bother me...makes me angry with myself. Then I have days when I think I am chewing really good and only eat alittle amount of food and it gets stuck. I never drink with my meals and when I get stuck it feels awful to try to sip even Water, that is when I usually get sick. I know I am trying to abide by the rules...eating healthier, drinking only 1/2 hr before and 1/2 to 1 hour after. But I think my problem is getting to that point where I can slow down and get that sensation that I dont need anymore. So don't know how to handle things yet (post op 9 weeks Thursday-3/27/14). Thanks for just listening folks...makes me feel better...knowing you are out there and having issues too.

Drinking from a straw

Waiting 90 minutes to drink after eating

I can't eat with out drinking. Probably why my weight loss is so slow.