Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IUD birth control and Band question.

Hi everyone out there. I was wondering if anyone has an IUD form of birth control. I have now had it for 1yr now and has gained weight like 30lbs almost. I have an appointment to set my surgery date for the band and I want to have this IUD removed before getting the band. I feel that this IUD will slow down my weight loss. I have read posts with people that have the IUD and most of them has gained weight from it and a lot has gotten it removed. Anyone out here who have the IUD and the band is your weight loss slower any feeback is helpful to me thanks.

i have an iud too, but i have never heard that it will slow your weight loss. i need to look into that.

Well I don't know if it will slow my weight loss after the band, but right now it's making me gain weight. I don't have the band yet and gained like 30-35lbs in a yr with this IUD.

Ive had an IUD(mirena) for almost 5 yrs . I was only banded 5 months ago. I've already lost 72 pounds and I'm only 9 pounds from goal. I don't fell it had any effect on my weight loss at all. I'm actually planning on having a new 1 inserted in a few weeks when i hit the 5yr mark. I truly love my IUD. I'd keep just keep just to have the piece of mind of such reliable birth control the 1st year post op when it's strongly advised not to get pregnant

Ive had an IUD(mirena) for almost 5 yrs . I was only banded 5 months ago. I've already lost 72 pounds and I'm only 9 pounds from goal. I don't fell it had any effect on my weight loss at all. I'm actually planning on having a new 1 inserted in a few weeks when i hit the 5yr mark. I truly love my IUD. I'd keep just keep just to have the piece of mind of such reliable birth control the 1st year post op when it's strongly advised not to get pregnant

I agree, I have had the Mirena too for 3 yrs, I don't feel that I had weight issues because of it. ( I felt yucky on the pill, and the patch I don't even want to go there what it did to me) I know that my weight is because of what I put in my mouth and the quantity. I can lose, but then I get out of control and start putting everything in my mouth and gain....SO I would keep the IUD and be safe from getting pregnant while you work on getting your health and life on track! KWIM

WOW JENNIFER YOU ROCK! My goal is to get my weight off in the first year, so I will do my best not to fall and work the program. I am so excited for you. Hope to join you on the other side! I Can't wait to have surgery. I have lost weight making changes per the nutrionalist during my 3 month hold.

I had a baby a yr ago and lost 30lbs after that. Then I went and got th IUD I was fine the first few months. I have lost my sex drive my additude is off the charts and I gained weight. I have read boards with a lot of people gaining weight from it. I just don't want it to interfer with my band, but I guess I will stick with it until after surgery. I may just try another form of BC becuase this has got to go I don't like the mood swings and lost of sex drive. Then the weight gain I know is from the IUD becuase I still eat the same way.

Hi! I had my IUD inserted nearly two years ago. I have also steadily gained weight, but I cant really attribute that to the IUD. Oh, and I havent been banded either. I would definitely do more research, but if you feel that the IUD may prevent you from achieving your goal, then have it removed. You can always have another put in at a later time......it is more of a personal decision than anything. GOOD LUCK!!! :thumbup:

I had my iud removed because it fell out and ripped my uterus, if you want another method I really like the depo shot