Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cancer sucks!!!

I am sure that no one will debate me on this one. Most people know SOMEONE who has had cancer, has cancer or has passed away from cancer. Or perhaps, someone on here has had a battle with cancer or a cancer scare.

I just wanted to say how much cancer sucks!!! My Mother was diagnosed with brain cancer on her 52nd birthday (March 2007). She had brain surgery to have 5-7 tumors removed. And then, just a few weeks later, my daughter (5 years at the time) was diagnosed with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia. She entered Loma Linda Children's Hospital on April 6th, 2007 and was sent home on April 13th. Just one week later.

It has been a LOOONG bumpy road for both my Mom and my daughter. Kyleigh, my daughter, has been in remission since her release from the hospital in 2007. Luckily, she has only had one blood transfusion and only one platelet transfusion. She hasnt had to be re-hospitalized in those two year and on June 11th, 2009, she was officially declared "Done" with her treatments. No more lumbar punctures, no more pills. Just monthly labwork to monitor her progress. We have been lucky and blessed that she has responded this well. She enters 3rd grade on Monday.

As for my Mom, she had no signs of cancer for nearly those two and a half years. She continued to battle with the side effects of the radiation she endured, for the first year, but after that year, she was well on her road to recovery. It hasnt been easy for her. She found out that her husband of 34 years was cheating on her during the first year of her recovery process. She was supposed to have died, my Dad thought.....but she didnt. She beat the odds and beat brain cancer.

On August 13th, 2009 (just a day shy of my Grandmother's death anniversary-She passed away in 1996 from lung cancer), my Mom was told she had bone cancer.......and again, our world fell apart. My Mom is a strong person. She wants to beat this. She wants to live. She is optimistic and shuns away from anyone who isnt. She starts chemo on August 25th and hopefully, if not sooner, radiation. It will be a long battle again, but this time, my Dad is along for the ride. Whole spirited!

I hate cancer. I hate that it is sooo common. I hate that there really isnt much that we can do to prevent it. Sure, eating specific foods, and staying away from specific habits will help PREVENT it, but it doesnt guarantee you will never develop it. Especially if it is in your genes. Just had to vent about my hatred........ERRRR! :biggrin:

Thanks for reading!:w00t:

I am so sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you. Your family must be so strong to have gone through all this and still keep fighting. I will keep you in my thoughts. ((((HUGS))))

Thank you so much Melissa!! That means the world to me! :biggrin:

Oh, I feel for you. My MIL has had bladder cancer, and is just completing her chemo after losing her bladder, uterus, ovaries, and part of her bowel. She has no signs of cancer, once all that was removed, the chemo was a precautionary measure, but boy it has been rough, and she's endured 6 months of virtual quarantine, her white blood cell is so low she has no immunity at all. Naturally, she hasnt been able to see her grandkids because kids are ALWAYS carrying some sniffle or other and she's gotten really depressed from the isolation.

And of course, you jsut never know when its going to reappear.

Hugs to your family and everyone else affected by this awful disease.

cancer is a disease that is so common because we live so long now. Millions of years ago we were all eaten by wooly mammoths before we got to 40, so cancer wasnt a huge issue. Nor was heart disease. I guess there's a price to progress. My MIl is 80 and has taken the very positive view that although there is a very poor 5 year prognosis for bladder cancer, there's not that great a 5 year prognosis for being 80 either, so she's just taking it a day at a time.

Cancer absolutely sucks!

I'm so sorry for any of you going thru it, whether it's you or your family member or friend. Each night I pray for cures for all the types of cancer. My aunt is battling stage 4 ovarian cancer and is currently at the mayo Clinic.

Yes, cancer sucks. It is a horrible beast.

Hugs to all of you reading this thread.:biggrin:

TPG

My thoughts are with you. This is so horrible.

Wishing you the best possible outcome.

I was diagnosed with a rare fallopian tube cancer when I was 25. I had just been engaged and was looking forward to having children, family the works. I felt like it was the end of my world. They went in and did a total hysterectomy. I went on to be married and it was a total disaster. Even though my husband said it didn't matter to him, it really did. I went through chemo and years of hormone therapy ups and downs. Now, at 51, I have a boatload of other problems. Of course, the medical profession says it is all releated but I don't think anyone really knows for sure. Back in the day, they did not know what to do with someone my age going through hormone therapy. It was a very long road for me as well. I am still here and doing the best I can to enjoy life as much as possible. My mother had ovarian cancer 15 years ago. The surgeon looked us straight in the eye and told us and her that she was in stage 4 and had six months to live. She went on chemo. She is now 75 and active and happy. She beat the odds and so did I. My sister in law who at the time was 36 was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago. She had a double mastectomy and chemo. She is making it and is such a beautiful person inside and out. She had reconstruction and is very happy with the results. My mother in law has had ovarian cancer twice the last time 8 years ago. She had chemo also both times. She is doing very well at age 69. Cancer is a horrible disease and you and your Mom are so right for not being around negative people. It makes such a difference to stay positive and believe you are going to beat it. I think I can say for myself, my Mom, My mother in law and my sister in law that it is an extremely important ingredient in the path to recovery. We are living proof of that. Good Luck to you and your Mom. You are in my prayers.

To JennRobb and all those who have posted about their or their loved one's cancer - you have my sympathy. I know first hand the cancer journey.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2002. 11 months later my husband was diagnosed with esophageal cancer. This was the result of years of heartburn & GERD that eventually resulted in barrett's esophagus and then esophageal cancer. He was scoped yearly and it was caught early. Didn't matter. He died in 2005 at age 56. That's why you will see me posting on here to those who dismiss heartburn and reflux as the price to pay for being tight enough to lose weight. When he was undergoing cancer treatment there was a sign on the desk at the hospital that said what cancer can't take from you. Oh, yeah. Well, let me tell you what it took from me. It took my beloved husband, it took our future, our retirement that we were looking forward to. It took him from walking our daughter down the aisle. It took him missing our son's wedding, too. All he wanted was to retire and play golf after working hard all his life and play with future grandkids. Cancer took that from him, too

I am a baby boomer and I don't remember one person having much less dying of cancer while growing up. Later when I got to be college age there were a few people my parent's age who had heart attacks. My mother smoked cigarettes, my dad cigars. Both were obese. Neither exercised. My mom lived to be almost 86. She had heart surgery and a stroke, but no cancer. My dad died at 78 of congestive heart failure. I have the distinction of being the only person in my family to ever have cancer. And I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

The death rate from cancer might be falling slightly but in absolute numbers more people, especially young people (under 65) are getting cancer. I read the obituaries everyday. When I see someone young, I know the cause of death before I read it. When I was in high school there was not one teacher who died. But my husband was a teacher and there have been several from his school who died of cancer while teaching.

We do a better job with screening for cancer and catching it early when it is more treatable but just with breast cancer - the rates are increasing from one in 14 in the 1970's to about 1 in 8 chances now. What's changed? I don't know. All I know is that if your life hasn't been touched by cancer, it will be. Someone in your family or close circle of friends will be diagnosed. It just seems like it is everywhere.

Again, my sympathies to the OP - you've been hit very hard by this. I wish your Mom the best and hope that everything turns out well for her and continued good health for your daughter.

Yes, Cancer sucks, too true. That should be a campaign slogan! So sorry your family is under siege! Hang in there.

So sorry to hear about your family struggles with cancer. You are so right, it does suck!!

(((HUGS)))

It is true, all our lives are touched by cancer. I'm so sorry that you are struggling.

Try to stay possitive like grey said, it will make a difference.

It's strange how 2 years ago there was not anyone in my family or group of friends who had cancer and then all of a sudden it hits. With in 2 years i have lost my best friend who was 34 to breast cancer, A friend of my husbands to prostate cancer, My father in law to lung cancer, and my mom to pancreactic cancer. My family and I have lived through a extreme amount of sadness these last two years, but we are finally starting to find happiness again. I just worry some days about who's next. My heart goes out to all who have lost close friends or family.

First, I would like to tell everyone that responded, "THANK YOU" for taking the time to read each of our stories!! Cancer is a horrible disease and it devastates everyone in its path. Next, I wanted to send my thoughts and prayers out to all of you who responded with your own personal stories. My heart goes out to each of you and your family/loved ones!!! And lastly, I wanted to update the information on my own story.

My Mom, over the weekend of August 21st, experienced numbness in her legs. By Monday, August 24th, an MRI had been done and it was discovered that the tumor on her spine was pinching a nerve and that she needed EMERGENCY surgery. Monday night she was admitted to the hospital and ready to have surgery the next day. Tuesday, she had a four hour surgery that removed the middle portion of her back and replaced it with titanium rods. The bone and tumor were sent to the lab for analysis to hopefully determine the location of the primary tumor. In the meantime, my Mom is doing well and is in the best of spirits that she can be in. She is being released from the hospital today and headed home with a full body brace and a walker.

She has a LOONG road to recovery ahead of her, but I know she can do it. Just wanted to update for those of you who may be interested.

Thank you everyone again for responding.....my prayers and thoughts are with YOU ALL!!!

So sorry that your mom had to endure that surgery and the trying recovery, but glad it went as well as could be expected.

I'm sending you/her well wishes!

Well I have to agree cancer SUCKS!!!!! I have battled it twice went thru 9 surgeries chemotherapy and radiation!!!!! I have lost my mother to this awful disease, I was only 28 at the time. Yes cancer SUCKS!!!! There is not a day that goes by that I don't feel a little bump or find an unusually large bruise and wonder if my cancer is back again. My logical brain says worrying about it will not help but the rest of me worries that I will never see grandchildren, retire after working 36 years of my 49, ETC etc! Yes cancer SUCKS!!!!!