Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The "F" word

Recently I have come to the conclusion that I cannot stand hearing the "F" word. You know..the word "fat". They say "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." Couldn't be further from the truth. In my opinion, being called "fat" is the worst thing to ever be called. Call me large, overweight, obese, heavy, chubby, chunky...anything but "fat".

What brings this up? Well I overhead some...errr "intelligent" person say, "I don't think we should have universal healthcare unless all the "fat" people have to lose weight or pay for their own healthcare." If only she could walk a day in our shoes, she would know it just isn't that easy...

Thanks for letting me rant! :lol: Being banded in 9 days! :blink:

I hate the term morbidly obese.....And if overweight people have to pay more then so should smokers and breeders!

It is what it is. I am fat therefore I am what I am. It is just a name to me. But I'll sure be glad when all the fat is gone.

Here is the definition of the word Fat:

1. The ester of glycerol and one, two, or three fatty acids.
  2. Any of various soft, solid, or semisolid organic compounds constituting the esters of glycerol and fatty acids and their associated organic groups.
  3. A mixture of such compounds occurring widely in organic tissue, especially in the adipose tissue of animals and in the seeds, nuts, and fruits of plants.
  4. Animal tissue containing such substances.
  5. A solidified animal or vegetable oil.
  6. Obesity; corpulence.
  7. The best or richest part: living off the fat of the land.
  8. Unnecessary excess: "would drain the appropriation's fat without cutting into education's muscle" (New York Times

Yeah, it's just a word, but when someone calls you "fat," it carries a lot of negativity to it. I never had to have anyone tell me I'm fat -- I alreay knew.

I definitely agree with you, Jujuvee!

I really couldn't care less about the word. Calling me fat doesn't bother me a bit. I know I'm fat. If someone tries to insult me by calling me fat, I'm more amused at their complete failure to wound and I pity them for being ignorant and pathetic.

I accept and acknowledge all of my faults and flaws. It is within my own power to either change or embrace these faults.

No one can hurt me without my permission. And I do not give it.

You know what, I would rather someone just come out and call me "fat" than stumble around with so-called niceties like "full figured" "chubby" "overweight" It just makes the situation more awkward. If you're fat, you're fat...establish the fact and move on w/ life. I guess I got hardened growing up as a fat kid, hahahahaha.

Totally agree jujuvee...smokers and crack heads are eating up healthcare dollars. I think heightened taxes on cigarettes are just them paying back into the system. Also, if you can't afford to have a kid, then DONT!

I hate the term morbidly obese.....And if overweight people have to pay more then so should smokers and breeders!

LOL

I do think people who keep popping out babies with no income or way to care for them...well...maybe someone should tell them what causes that. BUT that's a subject for rants and raves.

I don't mind any of them as long as they aren't used in anger or derision.

And I call myself fat, because I am. Most people don't call me anything but my nick names....

but again, any term if used derisively is bad.

My ex-husband once was really angry and thought he'd cut me to the quick by saying "YOU like to READ!"

he meant it bad...LOL

So I guess it's not the words, but the intent.

As usual, I agree with RM. For me it's not the word itself but the intent. I AM fat, no point in sugar coating that one. Just don't be mean about it.

The one I hate the most is "big girl" because it seems like such a derogative concept to me...not sure if it's the big or the reference to me being a girl versus woman, not sure but it definitely rubs me the wrong way!! But it's the truth at the same time so I can't hate it too much lol

I too have always hated being called a "big girl". Something about it always comes across as being insulting.i always hated it when guys would try to talk to me and tell me things like i was pretty so i could get away with being a "big girl". Or say things like don't worry i like "big girls". Like they were doing my fat ass a favor by talking to me!!

I too have always hated being called a "big girl". Something about it always comes across as being insulting.i always hated it when guys would try to talk to me and tell me things like i was pretty so i could get away with being a "big girl". Or say things like don't worry i like "big girls". Like they were doing my fat ass a favor by talking to me!!

Ok glad I'm not the only one!! I think maybe it's because when people say that, they think they are being nice by wording it that way and it pisses me off.

P.S. are you a night shift nurse too?

yep. 3rd and 2nds when they need me. this week sucked. i was on call all weekend and ended up with 70 hours this week. you at work now too?

yep! I work 12 hour nights only though. At least you got some good OT! We're so focused on "budget" right now so who cares about patient safety, no OT for us!