Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September 2009 Band Date

Hi everyone!

I was off the computer for the past 3 days...my boyfriend took me away to a resort for the weekend. It was lovely..but now I am back to the real world.

I am trying to catch up on all the posts.

I am not on any specific pre-op diet, just a "lose 10 to 15 pounds" (my BMI was 52 when I saw the surgeon and he wanted me to get it down to 50 or 49)..so I decided to do a semi-liquid diet on my own to boost the weight loss. I bought BSN Lean Dessert Protein powder. Oh man...it really does taste like dessert. I bought the banana Cream and chocolate Coconut candy Bar but there are about 6 flavors I think. I am making mine with milk right now, but am going to try just Water to see how it is. If you have a sweet tooth and are worried about Protein intake, I recommend this stuff. Not sure if it is considered a clear or full liquid though. I would think it is a full liquid.

I am doing so well pre-op..I just keep thinking how good it is to have a head start before I have my surgery. I did go through the "Last Supper" mentality right after my seminar and managed to gain 25 pounds. I have taken 14 of them back off :thumbup:(and met my surgeon's goal) but trying hard to get the last 11 off before September 1st (my own goal). Man, is it HARD! I have been hitting the gym 4 to 5 days a week doing the weight line and treadmill and even taking the Zumba class once a week. Slow going..but definitely going and I figure a good way to get myself into the habit now so I am motivated to get back going once I feel up to it after the surgery.

I still have back and forth feelings about it..but I already paid (self-pay here) and I know I made the right decision. I am still wrestling with who I will tell about it, so for right now I have only told my family and my best friend. My 9 year old knows, so I figure she is going to out me eventually anyway..out of the mouths of babes.

Anyway I hope everyone is doing well - most of us are less than a month away. Yay!

My date is Sept 21. Can't wait. No idea if there will be a pre-op diet, but the doc only does those with very high BMIs, so i should be ok.

225 on my way down to 165!

Hi,

Just got my date today. September 2nd. I have to go on Optifast starting next Tuesday. Getting nervous. Nobody but my husband knows so having this forum for support will help. It gets a little confusing because the diets very so much. It seems that mayo is some what strick. Anyone else going to Mayo? Can anyone recommend a good lap band book?I will keep you all in my prayers.

My surgery is scheduled for 9/9/09 at 9AM.

I started the process on 24 June '09 with a seminar.

My pre-op class is next week. Scheduling works out perfect for a week long camping trip next week still possible.

I start the pre-op diet on 8/19. I'm a bit nervous because my hubby's sister, our bro-in-law and our nephew are staying with us from the UK from the 15th to 7/27. I can't wait for them to come over, but it's going to be hard watching everyone have beers and yummy foods. We're spending a night in NY on the 26th BUT postponing diets for other people has been my forte, so I'm trying to remain strong!

I ordered some powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury shakes to try and I hope they're as good as people think they are! What type of pre-op are you doing?

How much time is everyone taking off work?

You all are so fortunate to have surgery dates in September. I just heard from an acquaintance that her surgery is set for the 3rd week in September and she got approved thru insurance. We have the same practice. I was so hoping for a sept date, not an Oct date.

Well i called the insurance person today and asked about when my completed package would be sent into insurance. She did not have my file on her desk and had to find it. Then she never called me back... this is so frustrating. Should I call her back tomorrow or wait another day???

I would absolutely call them and keep calling. Even if you feel like a pain in the ass, it will move things along so much faster. My surgeon's office "sent" everything on 7/5 and I called my insurance every day for 3 weeks to confirm that it was being processed. I followed up with my doctor's office 1-2 times per day as well. They kept saying that they hadn't gotten my package yet and the doc's office kept telling me that they sent it (SO frustrating!!). Because I kept pushing, the insurance people (United Healthcare) started getting aggressive with my doc's office.

I went on vacation and kept checking but no word. When I got back, the insurance said that if my doc didn't get back to them on that day with the clinical information that I'd have to start the entire process over. I got the direct number for the case worker and called my doctor to make sure they were communicating. I followed up about 30 minutes later and once they *finally* spoke, the doctor's assistant was able to get approval!!

Come to find out, United had my SS# under my maiden name but the doc's office sent everything under my married name. Had I not called, I wouldn't have gotten approved!! I still haven't gotten the letter from my insurance!! LOL!! Really we need to be our best advocates. Call, call and call again! Best of luck to you!!

Hi all, i recieved my date this week and i will be banded on September 8th. I have my pre op and nutrition class on Monday 08/17 and then i will be on my way. i just talked to HR about taking time off, i think i am going to do 2 weeks off just to make sure everything is healed. from what i understand, my surgeon will put us on 2 shakes and 1 meal a day with a sugar free snack in between - i will be very interested to find out exactly what he is going to ask of us on Monday. i will keep everyone posted and look forward to following everyone's journey. Now, i have to figure out how to make a darn ticker. :blink:

Hi everyone!

It is pretty interesting to see the wide variances that our respective surgeons expect from us pre-operatively. I go in for a pre-op visit on August 27th with the nutritionist, and I anticipate her putting me on a pre-op plan for my surgery on the 1st, but other than his comment that he wanted me to lose 10-15 pounds before surgery, he didn't give me any specifics. I guess if the nutritionist saw that I hadn't made that goal they might have a plan B, but since I don't want to consider plan B, I am trying to be relentless. I actually put myself on a self-imposed liquid diet today. The hunger really is out of control, but I keep telling myself it is only temporary..so far so good. I am trying to drink a lot of Water and stay on top of my Vitamins. I figure why not get a jump start on the process...so we shall see how it goes.

Zumba class is tonight. It kicked my butt last week, but I lasted the whole hour, so I am hoping that it will be a little easier this week...but I doubt it! It is fun though..I keep telling myself..you are dancing...not sweating to death :blink:

I am glad to see so many of us in the September group. Keep on posting..and for those of you on the mandatory liquid pre-op...I feel your pain...do I ever!

hello to all of the sept. banders!!!

I am new to the site and have really just been browsing around and reading up on everyones questions. I am happy but nervous at the same time. I have family support.. all but my brother ( he is a fitness expert) but mom and dad are good to go. I am not married, nor dating anyone in particular, but have good friends surrounding me and very supportive. I go to the 3 hour class next week. I think then I can prepare my home, and myself..

hello,

I am also due to be banded on 9/1/01.....

we need to keep in touch...:)

Hi everyone!

It is pretty interesting to see the wide variances that our respective surgeons expect from us pre-operatively. I go in for a pre-op visit on August 27th with the nutritionist, and I anticipate her putting me on a pre-op plan for my surgery on the 1st, but other than his comment that he wanted me to lose 10-15 pounds before surgery, he didn't give me any specifics. I guess if the nutritionist saw that I hadn't made that goal they might have a plan B, but since I don't want to consider plan B, I am trying to be relentless. I actually put myself on a self-imposed liquid diet today. The hunger really is out of control, but I keep telling myself it is only temporary..so far so good. I am trying to drink a lot of Water and stay on top of my Vitamins. I figure why not get a jump start on the process...so we shall see how it goes.

Zumba class is tonight. It kicked my butt last week, but I lasted the whole hour, so I am hoping that it will be a little easier this week...but I doubt it! It is fun though..I keep telling myself..you are dancing...not sweating to death :biggrin:

I am glad to see so many of us in the September group. Keep on posting..and for those of you on the mandatory liquid pre-op...I feel your pain...do I ever!

Hi everyone. This is my first post on the board. This journey has gone quickly for me (seems like meant to be in ways) and I believe I'll be banded in Sept. My lecture was July 25th. I don't even know if my surgeon and office know yet, but I found out from insurance yesterday that it was just approved. I'm going to ask for a surgery date mid Sept, like the week of the 14th.

Anyone else in San Diego, CA?

I have been working towards this goal for 6 months. Now that I have a date I am very nervous. I am very glad to find this discussion group. It still baffles me why the preperation is different for everyone.

I'm glad to meet you all here in "banded in September" land. I don't have a surgery date yet, but the doctor said for me to plan on the end of September or first of October. I have just today completed the 6 months of doctor visits which was everything the the doctor said Cigna would want and it get's mailed to them tomorrow! I had an appointment each month with my regular doctor for a total of 6, an appointment with the dietitian and today, an appointment with the Psyc doctor. I'm hoping that since I've done what insurance would want,,, it might be a speedy process on the approval.

Ok, so I have another question that has nothing to do with lapband,,,, how do you guys get the bmi scales and stuff on your post? I would love to get that.

Thanks for listening,,, good luck to us all!