Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September 2009 Band Date

Hello all - my date is Sep 11. Before I got approved I started liquid dieting because my decision stemmed from a 25 lb weight gain in just two months! W/ my insurance time - i have NOT been able to lose though I tried. Then i was going to go on liquid for a while but now that i have a date I'm kind of eating things I never ate before!!! Like Bagels (had two this week).. because I will never have them again. I don't eat them for a reason!

I am trying to exercise more than the two times a week that I ride my horse (but I have only gotten as far as restarting my gym membership, finding my card, and heart rate monitor). My excuse is working late but thats a bit of an excuse because i didn't work late today!

I am single and only have a brother and his family (aside from some friends) and I hate imposing on people so I have a question. I am told I am not staying at hospital overnight. Does anyone know how much you really need to have someone with you? I live in NYC so everything is easy - can have a cab take me home... etc.

Welcome hmarko and congrats :smile2:! I think that the amount of help question might be better posed on the post-band section. I am not really sure, I think that I will need help (LOL but I'm kinda a baby when it comes to pain and taking care of myself) but then you might be more self sufficient than me. I actually ended up moving home from college for a year so my mom can help me out and I can learn to eat healthily on the band.

I wouldnt assume you are never going to be able to eat a bagel again, I think most people when they are maintaining can eat just about anything just in much smaller amounts.

Hah, as for the weight gain, I am like you when I gain I seriously gain and when I lose I am pretty good about dropping fast (though never as much as I gained :confused:)

I am very excited to start this journey and we can all support each other :thumbup:

Hi Ashleysara - nice to meet you! Funny thing on the bagel - i NEVER eat them they really set me off on to too much eating. Far as the weight gain - i can gain it in two months and take a whole year to lose it... but i just gained weight into new territory and its like it changed my metabolism. My surgeons office was doing a study on this omentectomy helping diabetics lose weight faster but they froze the study. I am half thinking of calling them back to find out if they can do it anyway. It something about removing the free fat attached to organs.

Hah! All this bagel talk is making me want a bagel mmmmm. Haha supporting each other fail! We always gain weight at the least convienient times. I had to do a 6 month diet for my insurance and somehow I managed to gain 25 pounds during that time. (though i had just moved into the dorms and I wont even pretend I was trying to diet) That sounds like a cool study. I have like a freakishly slow metabolism that my doctors cant explain (LOL or dont even try, they just send me for thyroid tests evey five minutes *duh not the thyroid!*) If there is anything that we can do to speed up our weight loss its worth a try:)

Alas Im off to bed ttyl and glad you have joined our september board! :confused:

Glad to find this group! I just found out that I am approved and I'm scheduled for September 2nd!! I'd love to stay in touch with all of you! Best of luck to all of us on this crazy journey!!

Hello everyone!! I hope we are all having a great weekend :lol: So here is my issue of the day... well my surgery is still a month away and my family keeps begging me to cook their favorite meals 3x a day (which are definately not healthy) because they are afraid that I will never cook for them again! And we all know what happens when we start cooking the favorites, we eat it!! alot of it. I feel miserable and have heartburn however a little voice keeps saying wow that was so good and there's a little left in the fridge, and you know you wont be able to eat it much longer etc etc etc. How are you all getting yourself into the frame of mind that not eating country fried chops and gravy anymore is not the end of the world? My sister bless her heart is just as heavy as me but wants to try to lose it on her own before considering lapband..well she has tried a few recipes from this healthy cookbook she got and BLECK!!!!! I wonder if after being on the liquid pre-op we will be able to re-train our tastebuds.

Hello,

I am thrilled to have a September 1 surgery date! So close!

I only have to do a 3 day clear liquid diet ("only", ha :blink:), and until then I appear to be in "last supper" mode, eating all the stuff I am afraid I will miss. I am not too worried about it since I have just 3 weeks till surgery and I know I will lose on the liquid diet (last time I did one of those, with some food, I lost 11 lbs in 3 days).

Good luck to you all, and I look forward to hearing all of your stories. :lol:

hey everyone!!! i am scheduled on september 1st for surgery! I dont know how i am going to handle the pre-op diet! Im trying to do it now so i can give myself a head start, but i honestly give up and eat something i shouldnt... for example: this morning i had a Protein Shake (8 ounces of nonfat milk with a scoop of EAS chocolate powder, ice, 2 teaspoons of Decaf coffee and a tablespoon of ground cinnamin... then a couple hours later i have 8 crackers with whitefish salad (from costco) and a piece of cheese! i am desperate, i dont know what came over me...i tried to just do liquids....i need some serious help...anyone on the same boat as me? :lol: kat

Welcome kgroysman! Ok what is whitefish salad? Is it anything like tunafish? I am not a seafood eater but I have been told I better become one and fast. So the shake you made... is it tasty at all? I know I like the slimfast shakes but have been told they are the worst ones to get . I'm so confused over what to do,what tastes good etc. All I know is that I want to do what is best in regards to making this work.

Hi tzn! Oh yeah that shake is soooo good...slimfast is horrible...ekkk! Carnation instant Breakfast (the pre made bottle) delicious!!!!! I like that to go... But in the morning the coffee shake is delish! I usually have leftovers and my hubby drinks it... The whitefish salad is just like the tuna...but I would avoid it! Too much mayo! Another yummy thing I do is canned tuna, mayo, and craisins...(Sometimes I chop in onions) I put onions on everything...lol...but fish is a great... My goal is 2 shakes and light-n-fit yogurt a day before my surgery... Or... Pudding...make your own! A box of sugar free pudding, mild and a scoop of protien powder... Let me know if you have any other ideas or questions...lots of luck to you...kat

Yes please help!! I need a fish recipe that makes it taste like chocolate icecream.. hahaha!!

Salmon...spread some light mayo on top...salt...pepper...shredded cheese (optional) bake 350 for 30 min...oh and make sure you slice an onion or celery and bake you salmon on top of it in a baking dish...try it! Easy to make and melts in your mouth!

Glad to find this group! I just found out that I am approved and I'm scheduled for September 2nd!! I'd love to stay in touch with all of you! Best of luck to all of us on this crazy journey!!

Yeah! That is my surgery date too!!! When do you start your pre-op diet?