Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To restlessmonkey I see you on here a lot and u seem to know a lot. I would like to tell you a little about myself and I would like your advice. I am at the highest weight I have ever been 338 I do have high blood pressure and diabeties runs in my family and high cholestrol as well. I do not want to get diabeties and all other things that being overweight can bring. I also have one child and would like more in my future. I have always been a food eater and I think I over eat. I recently well maybe 4 yrs ago started eating sweets, but not big on them like that. I think my problem is Portion Control im also not a big snacker. Yes I don't want the gastric becuase I dont want the invasive surgery and drastic weight loss. To me there is a difference where some people here say it isn't. Like I told the physiciatrist im not trying to be skinny I just want to get my weight down to be more healthy and feel good about myself. I want to be able to run and jump and play with my son being this big really makes me depressed. If I were to loose 100lbs I would be so happy for that. All I am saying is I am ready to change my eating and lifestyle, but I do still want a cheeseburger or peice of cake every now and then. I dont think I can just never have those things ever again is the way people here make it sound.

I really think you have to decide for yourself...but from what you've said, it sounds like the band would work for you. I know some surgeons don't want those of us who are "larger" than about 100 pounds (or less) overweight to get the band, and to a point I understand why they feel that way.

However, while I do believe bypass and the sleeve are both solid viable safe (as safe as any surgery!) options, I felt it wasn't for me. Like you, I felt the lap band would give ME the most control...the ability to have a piece of birthday cake without dumping, etc. I never had a sweet tooth, I grazed but only at night (odd huh? LOL) I really prayed, thought, studied, mulled over, questioned, researched, THOUGHT some more, etc before I decided to get the band.

The upside of all that was that I have never looked back, never had even a minute's doubt or feeling of "Oh my gosh what have I DONE to myself?" I had a long haul to hit restriction but I think my loss is groovy and I know it will continue on now. I was worried about malabsorption (which is one of the big benefits with the bypass surgery, but not the band) and being older, for example, because the older we get the less efficient we are at getting nutrition from our food. While I was told "oh just take B12" I wasn't so sure.

I think bypass saves lives. I think bypass works more quickly at "curing" type II diabetes, provided you haven't had it too long. I think the band works wonders too.

That's why I said you should ask your surgeon WHY he thinks (if indeed he does) you should get bypass. If he just says "because you are too heavy for the band" well, that's wrong and you need another surgeon, frankly, one who will be on your side.

However, if he has a good reason, related to you or your health, listen. Do what in your heart you think is best and right for you (that's all any of us can ever do) but listen.

My surgeon presented bypass, the band, the sleeve, and the duodenal switch (which he doesn't do but told us about) at his seminar, then left it to us to decide. He made clear what "type" of diet/person/lifestyle, in his opinion, made a person more suited to one or another type of surgery, then he let us decide, as long as we didn't have a medical condition that would make a surgery dangerous or likely to fail.

Sorry this is so long. I just wanted to tell you my process...I love my band. I may have problems with it some day, but that's all part of life I guess. I pretty well KNEW I'd have problems, bad medical ones, if I did nothing. Once I decided, it all fell into place, and seemed to be "meant" to be. Probably a coincidence! BUT figure it out the best you can, knowing yourself and what YOU want out of life, then go for it. :ohmy: I hope that helps a little. If you don't want bypass, don't be forced into it. Don't be forced into ANY elective medical procedure, if you don't want it!

Edited by RestlessMonkey

Yes that is exactly the reasons they are giving me. The dietician and physcologist stated that a person my size should get the gastric becuase I wont loose as much. I havent seen the surgeon yet, but the dietician told me that is what he will tell me also becuase of my size. I just read on here someone lost 200lbs with the band so anything is possible. I was thinking the same way as another person here that all they want is money for the gastric cuz they get more sometimes I beleive that. I have been reading a lot about the band, but nothing much about the gastric. I also have a cd the clinic gave to me that I will watch tomorrow. Well thanks for the info if I have more questions I will be asking thanks.

You bet. You can lose as much as you want to with the band, actually, because you control how tight you want it, and so on. So good luck; you're doing exactly the right thing; learning about the procedures and figuring out which one will work for you.

Yes that is exactly the reasons they are giving me. The dietician and physcologist stated that a person my size should get the gastric becuase I wont loose as much. I havent seen the surgeon yet, but the dietician told me that is what he will tell me also becuase of my size. I just read on here someone lost 200lbs with the band so anything is possible. I was thinking the same way as another person here that all they want is money for the gastric cuz they get more sometimes I beleive that. I have been reading a lot about the band, but nothing much about the gastric. I also have a cd the clinic gave to me that I will watch tomorrow. Well thanks for the info if I have more questions I will be asking thanks.

I would maybe check out the site somebody posted here a few posts up. It might help fill in the blanks.

And for some reason, some doctors seem to believe that the band can't work for people who have to lose larger amounts of weight. Well, some of our very own bandsters here have proven them wrong.

Misty thanks for the link. I forwarded it to a friend who's thinking about WLS. I've had good luck with the band and I've told her so. But I don't want her choosing the band just because it's worked for me. Were both very different as far as what and how we eat. I've told her to do a lot of research and go to support meetings . But I also think the article would be very helpful.

And to the OP just weigh all your options carefully. You need to trust not only your own judgement but also that of your medical team. Whether you band or bypass you are still gonna need follow care with a medical that you trust has your best interest at heart. If necessary make follow up apts with the nutritionist and psyciatrist to discuss what they've recomended and why. Make a list of any questions and concerns you have and make sure everyone of them is answered before you make a decision. It's your body and you have to live with the outcome. So don't be afraid to schedule as many apts as you need to get all of your questions answer so you can make the right choice. Good luck!

I would maybe check out the site somebody posted here a few posts up. It might help fill in the blanks.

And for some reason, some doctors seem to believe that the band can't work for people who have to lose larger amounts of weight. Well, some of our very own bandsters here have proven them wrong.

That is very true. You CAN lose large amounts with the band. And there are people here who have proved it.

And conversely, I think that those people who think that Bypass is ONLY for very large people are wrong as well. It all depends on the type of eating disorder you have.

Neesh, listen to restless monkey....she's a common voice of sanity around here!

And if you want to know about Ice Cream, see Beth. :ohmy:

HH

Neesh, listen to restless monkey....she's a common voice of sanity around here!

And if you want to know about Ice Cream, see Beth. :ohmy:

Hehehe, Monkey is the sane one and I'm good for ice cream. :)

Yeah, okay, true. :)

Yeah, okay, true. :ohmy:

now, i didn't actually SAY that Monkey was sane....only the VOICE of sanity...

and yeah, you're good for Ice Cream!:)

HH

Yeah, okay, true. :ohmy:

Don't whine girl You get to have all the fun. :)

and yeah, you're good for Ice Cream!:ohmy:

HH

So, I channel sanity? Is THAT it? Hmmm?

So, I channel sanity? Is THAT it? Hmmm?

well, SOMEBODY has to here, ya know.

You know damn well I'M not gonna carry THAT torch!

:ohmy:

HH

and yeah, you're good for Ice Cream!:)

HH

Hehehe, well at least I'm good for SOMEthing! :ohmy:

So I'm like the Edgar Cayce, or Shirley Maclaine, of the board?

Beth, I need some ice cream. Stat. LOL

So I'm like the Edgar Cayce, or Shirley Maclaine, of the board?

Beth, I need some ice cream. Stat. LOL

Orally or should I just set up an intravenous drip? :ohmy: