Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back to Old Eating Habits - Help!

I am about 4 months post-op, and no matter how much self-talk I do I never feel satisified after a meal--especially at suppertime; so I just seem to keep thinking up things to eat without it coming back up. The last few weeks has been a nightmare, I'm just being a glutton like I was pre-op. I desperately need some encouragement:crying:--no lectures please - I know what I'm doing wrong--how can I snap out of this destructive stage!:) (and if you haven't figured it out yet, I am borderline manic-depressive). I know I should just rely on my faith for this problem, but as the old joke says, "I just need to talk to someone with skin on"; no sacrilege intended. Thanks for your comments.

hi scout,

in my journey this has happened to me.

what i've done to try to break the "spell" is the following:

-start journalling my food. this helps me to actually look at the calories i am consuming. i tend to minimize when i "taste" something. i used sparkpeople.com but there are other good sites like fitday.com, etc.

-i force myself to start moving. for me it is to get to the gym. i find if i work out it helps to me reason with myself "why would i eat junk if i just busted my butt" or go for a morning or night walk. it needs to be brisk to get the heart rate going. even if starting with 10 minutes and building from there

-i also read motivational literature. i try to look at all of this only one day at a time.

the key is....dont give up. you can get back on the wagon...."one day at a time"

these are just some of the steps i've taken when i lost my way since being banded...hope it helps.

josie

ive got 10 cc in a 14 cc band and theres no way i could eat alkot even if i wanted to

hi scout,

in my journey this has happened to me.

what i've done to try to break the "spell" is the following:

-start journalling my food. this helps me to actually look at the calories i am consuming. i tend to minimize when i "taste" something. i used sparkpeople.com but there are other good sites like fitday.com, etc.

-i force myself to start moving. for me it is to get to the gym. i find if i work out it helps to me reason with myself "why would i eat junk if i just busted my butt" or go for a morning or night walk. it needs to be brisk to get the heart rate going. even if starting with 10 minutes and building from there

-i also read motivational literature. i try to look at all of this only one day at a time.

the key is....dont give up. you can get back on the wagon...."one day at a time"

these are just some of the steps i've taken when i lost my way since being banded...hope it helps.

josie

Thanks Josie,

Yes, that does help!! I noticed you are only 6 lbs from goal--that is wonderful! Different subject: I noticed you've had a Tummy Tuck, did your insurance pay for any part of that--I have been dreaming of one for years. :)

Josie has great suggestions and she's lost a lot of weight. You know you can do it too.

I have no fill yet and I can see where I can easily slip back to old ways and sometimes do a little. My first fill is scheduled in 2 1/2 weeks so I have some time to get my act together too. I really find fitday helps me....when I journal my food, it does help keep my food in perspective. Even now when I can eat just about anything, I know if I do, it's defeating what I'm trying to teach myself.

I also think we lose interest in what we are eating because we keep doing the same things. Is there any way you can shake things up and maybe try some different foods? Maybe eat Breakfast for dinner? Indiogirl plans her Snacks for night time when she really likes to eat. There has to be something you can look forward to and help with what will motivate you.

I wish you the best and hope you can find inspiration.

ee

Josie has great suggestions and she's lost a lot of weight. You know you can do it too.

I have no fill yet and I can see where I can easily slip back to old ways and sometimes do a little. My first fill is scheduled in 2 1/2 weeks so I have some time to get my act together too. I really find fitday helps me....when I journal my food, it does help keep my food in perspective. Even now when I can eat just about anything, I know if I do, it's defeating what I'm trying to teach myself.

I also think we lose interest in what we are eating because we keep doing the same things. Is there any way you can shake things up and maybe try some different foods? Maybe eat Breakfast for dinner? Indiogirl plans her Snacks for night time when she really likes to eat. There has to be something you can look forward to and help with what will motivate you.

I wish you the best and hope you can find inspiration.

ee

octillo,

:) Thanks for the encouragement and ideas! I think another big help will be that starting tomorrow I will be seeing a therapist once a week--it is a 2 hr drive for me to Vanderbilt, but the sessions are FREE because the shrink is a student. I was able to see her once and she really asked some questions (like you asked) that made me think. My drs have been telling me for years that I needed to see someone, but who could afford the money or the time off from work; now that I'm retired the time off is not an issue and all I have to afford is gas money. Again, your comments are very much appreciated. Keep me posted how you're doing after your fill.

scout

Scout, you keep us posted on how you are doing too. Maybe you can share insights into our behavior too, especially if your therapist is a good one and can truly help you.

ee

Scout, you keep us posted on how you are doing too. Maybe you can share insights into our behavior too, especially if your therapist is a good one and can truly help you.

ee

Will do, Ocotillo:thumbup:

Scout,

Have you had any fills post surgery? I am 5 months out and have 6cc in 10cc band and still having some hunger issues. They tell I am not quite at my sweet spot on fills. Let your MD know about your struggles. You are not alone. Keep in touch we are all in thie same boat.

VERY on-point question, DancingButterfly! Scout...when was your last fill? How much fill in what size band?

My first observation is that God helps him who helps himself.....

So, first, it sounds like you need another fill, so make the appointment. This also means you will have to be accountable to your doctor...getting on his scales and discussing how much you've lost (or not) and why.

Second, journal everything you eat. I don't care if you write on a napkin, just write it down. I have a piece of paper on my desk. When I leave work, I know how many calories I can have for dinner (and I know what I pulled out of the freezer to have for dinner, too, so I can plan what I can eat and how much). Yeah, the slider foods go down really easy but they leave a bad taste in your mind (not mouth!) by making you feel guilty. So don't do that to yourself. Don't have that tempting stuff around. One day, you'll be able to give yourself a treat without going off the deep end, but don't push your luck right now.

Third, GET MOVING. You're completely healed. Are you exercising? I get up at 5:00 AM (an hour earlier than I'd need otherwise) and I "wog" .... walk/jog, but mostly walking. I put about 4 miles or so in just about every morning (I sleep in if it rains and I give myself a couple of days off).

Finally, if you truly think you are "borderline" bipolar, go see a counselor! A counselor can help you with your food issues AND treat bipolar disorder. My 20 year old granddaughter lives with me. She is truly bipolar and is in treatment. When she's manic, she forgets to eat unless I set it in front of her and make sure she eats it. When she's depressive, she eats without prodding. Now, admittedly, she's 5'7" and weighs about 110 but that's the nature of her personal beast. Without a good doctor, I don't know where she'd be. THERE IS NO SHAME IN GETTING HELP FROM A COUNSELOR, no matter what the problem is. If you have food issues, get to the bottom of them! If you think you have BPD, find out for sure and if you do, get it treated because it doesn't just go away.

I don't want to seem like I'm being mean or harsh but you asked for a nudge in the right direction. Just consider it a "firm nudge" from someone who wants you to succeed as much as she wants to succeed herself.!!

Good Luck and God bless

Scout,

Have you had any fills post surgery? I am 5 months out and have 6cc in 10cc band and still having some hunger issues. They tell I am not quite at my sweet spot on fills. Let your MD know about your struggles. You are not alone. Keep in touch we are all in thie same boat.

Dancingbutterfly:

Yes, my first fill was 3.6 ccs (in a 10cc band), then because I couldn't keep my meds down (I take 35 prescription meds) my dr removed .6cc and that was good for my meds but I was still hungry and eating way too much. On July 7th, he added 2ccs for a total of 5ccs, and I could keep nothing down, so I had to go back last week and he removed 1cc. Which again is much better for my intake, but I am still eating too, too much. It's a head thing I know. My visit to the shrink was not very productive, she interrupted every time I tried to talk and then she gave me a bunch of self-help rhetoric. But I'm going to keep on keepin' on, because some things may be helpful and I know it won't hurt. One thing she did ask me to do was go to a Overeaters Annonomus Meeting.

I am so looking forward to finding my sweet spot; the main reason I had this surgery was to be able to stop taking insulin shots (4 per day) and get off some of these meds, so far that has not happened :wink2:.Thanks so much for your response. I will keep in touch, please do the same.

Scout

I understand where you are coming from and I have been there many times.

I did attend Over eaters anonymous and it was very helpful, I have considered attending again, we shall see :)

I find (like what everyone is saying) that when I journal my foods and move just a little bit it helps me. Of course I have a good sweet spot in regards to my fill and that is really key for me.

I make bad decisions, I try to move on, take it one day at a time, or more like one meal at a time, I try not to beat myself up - lord knows I did that long enough.

good luck to you!

hi scout

hope you are feeling better.

i just saw your question below re: my plastic surgery

my insurance didnt pay for any of the surgery. it was all self pay.

in addition to Overeaters Anonymous the is a group called FAA-food addicts anonymous. it is based on the 12 steps and concentrates on eliminating sugar, white flour, etc.

there are a host of great books you can read also on the subject of emotional eating. i find them to be helpful.

anyway hope you are doing well.

josie