Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You guys I'm feeling a little discouraged.

Hi my name is Heather I'm 19 years old and had my lapband procedure on May 4th of this year. It is now August and I have not lost anymore weight since having it placed. I lost about 23 pounds on my pre-opt diet and have kept it off to my first fill, however, after my first fill i gained four pounds!! I then had another fill where she added more to it i'm not sure how much but she said it was a rather large one since i had very little restriction after my first one. My fill was July 23rd and I have yet to feel any restriction still! I don't think there's anything wrong with the band because I can't eat very fast, and have trouble with breads and pastas and such. Can someone please offer some advice and words of encouragement please. Is there something I'm doing wrong. I know the lap-band is a tool, so maybe i'm not utilizing it right.:)

I don't know really what to say b/c I am new at this. I was just banded on the 29th so I am still in the liquid stage. But from what I have been told - maybe what you are eating is still really high in calories. Even though you aren't able to eat much of it it still has a whole lot of calories so it is like you are eating a lot. Maybe try changing up your food. Also maybe excersicing. I don't know if you do or not but they say if you just walk it will help out. Also make sure you are getting your Protein in and your Water. Good Luck and keep your head up.

Thanks for the advice. I do exercise but just on my abs and legs and things like that. So, I will try walking for the next couple of weeks and see how that goes. Also, I will try and drink more Water because I just realized that I don't drink as nearly as much as I should. Thank you! I really appreciate it.:)

Maybe go back on to the Protein Shakes to kick start you losing since that did work for you! And if the shakes aren't tolerable do a modified shake diet whether it be Slimfast and other Protein mixed in but make sure you are having 3 meals and no more than 2 snacks.(that is what my doc is going with) And always eat Breakfast I know,not with the lap band, with any other diet if I didn't eat breakfast I didn't lose. So I say go back to basics to where you were losing weight! Good luck but it is only a bump in the road you lose those four and many more just be patient with yourself!

I exercise at least 30 minutes a day, more on weekends. My goal is 6-8 hours a week, most of that being cardio but I also do weights at least once a week.

I log all my food - every bite. The Daily Plate is a GREAT place to log food - the database is better than any other I've tried (including fitday and sparkpeople).

I just strapped on my GoWearFit for the first time today. That will help monitor my activity, with a better estimate around calorie burning and such.

I drink Water. I avoid breads, cereals, rices. I work to get my Protein in (probably less than I should - I'm hitting about 50g a day, I guess).

The band helps me by lessening my appetite, helping me to be full on less food, helping me eat less frequently. But I still take full control of making sure I do my exercises and by choosing the right foods to put in my body. I'll give the band credit, but I give myself credit too.

I hope you find some ideas that help you get where you want to be. Good luck!!!

Hi Heather hang in there as the process is different for everyone. I have to constantly think about what

I'm doing ans staying on top of drinking enough Water and eating the right things.You made the right step in getting the band. Sean

I could have written this post myself (except I'm 31!). I was also banded on May 4th. I lost 22lbs on my pre-op diet, but I've only lost a whopping 7lbs since surgery. I have an appt this Tuesday, but I think the scale may have actualyl gone up a pound since last month. I also have to eat slow, breads are a no-no, but I NEVER feel full, I'm almost always hungry. I don't eat except when I'm supposed to, and I watch what I eat, but I also feel as if I'm doing something wrong.

It sounds like you both need to get another fill and work on finding your sweet spot. Until you hit that you'll feel hungry - no matter what. I've had two fills and feel some restriction, but know I need more. Once you get there it should kick start your weight loss. I'm hoping to get there soon myself.

Good luck!

I was just going to say the same as everyone else. My advice would be go back to your Protein Shakes like pre-op! Change it up a bit! Have you talked to your doc? And what does he say? Good luck, let us know how you are doing!

Don't worry too much! It took several fills for me to get restriction. I am not a fast loser, and it took me at least 6 months to break 40 lbs. You will get there! Play around with your calories a bit. I know some people swear by eating 600-800 a day, but I found that I have to eat around 1500 a day to continue losing.. Each person is different, so you just have to find a good spot for you right now. Go for a walk, or take a Water fitness class, or just go shopping! Not having restriction sucks! But you will get past it, and then wish for the days when you had none LOL! You can do this!!!

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and advice. I've developed a new plan to see if it will assist in the weight loss. In the morning I drink and 8 oz glass of Water followed by a bowl of oatmeal. Then midday I have something healthy for lunch with a Protein Shake as a snack and then dinner. I try to walk 30 min every morning before eating Breakfast and will do crunches and the lost towards the evening. I have not been doing as well as I should nor how i expected. But, hopefully with tidbits of everyone advice I can get these pounds off!! Thank you very much I really appreciate it. I will call my doctor tomorrow and see what she says. And farmgirl I know it feels a little bit discouraging to not lose weight like others but maybe you can take some of this advice too and incorporate it into your life too.:blink:

One more thing....you should probably not drink your Water with your oatmeal, nor eat and drink a Protein Shake at the same time. Remember, liquids don't stop at the band, and they help the food to slip thru the band as well. You should not drink for a half hour before or after you eat. It's been an adjustment for me, but I am getting there.:)

forget the "breads and pasta" Back to basics...EAT YOUR Protein FIRST. chicken breasts, turkey breasts, low fat meats, poultry and fish. Then you wont be hungry and eat the high calorie stuff. Best of luck.