Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

bodybugg or gowear fit

Walking quickly, I do burn a fair amount of calories in my 20 minute (or so) walk between the train station and my office, but I do walk quickly enough that my "activity target" of thirty minutes each day is met by the time I arrive at my office. I suppose it's sufficient since on the days I go to my office I don't have time to work out at home...

Yes, when I'm working out the BB tells me how may calories I burn just from working out, as long as I remember to reset the trip on my digital display. I've comparied the readings of calories burned between my BB and my treadmill, and I'm happy to report that the readings are fairly consistent with each other.

I have my coaching session set for this Thursday. I hope the session will be helpful...

Can you wear these things under your clothing?

Yes, you can wear them under your clothes. Today I have a short sleeved shirt on, and I don't think my BB is noticeable at all.

I purchased a gowearfit in Feb. I had been on a plateau for several months with my lapband. I wear it all the time, except for the shower. It has helped me to get off my plateau and to correctly calculate how many calories I am burning when exercising and how well I am NOT sleeping.

One of the down sides to any of Body Media's devices, I ride horses and it calculates the horse steps as my own. I had to set the step total significantly higher than normal to account for it.

The food database is not as complete as I would like. Many of the organic healthy items are not there and I must add the nutritional information; i.e. Costco's whey Protein isolate, Barlean's Fish Oil Supplement, etc.

On the upside, anytime I have had a question, Body Media is quick to respond. When I had the velcro on an armband come apart, they quickly sent me another one. The customer service is second to none.

I also completed a dunk tank test to determine my lean muscle mass and RMR (Body Fat Test - Home). I am within 20/25 lbs of goal and am currently using my gowearfit to correctly determine calorie intake based upon calorie burn to get those last few off. I am at 7 CCs in my band.

Forgot to add: I am a Project/Program Manager consultant and wear my armband to the client's office. Some people ask and I just explain what it is, some never seem to notice. I often forget I have it on.

Edited by dmmurray

these devices sound interesting, but costly.

Has anyone joined sparkpeople.com? It lets you log in all the food you take in, and the stuff you do, it has videos on workouts, etc....simple to use and a great tool to track your progress. CHECK IT OUT!

I have also used myfitnesspal.com which is similar to sparkpeople but I was not getting an accurate read on calorie burn when exercising which pushed me to purchase my gowearfit armband.

I've had my gowear fit since Jan 09.

I chose Gowear over bodybugg for the sleep tracking. It tells how much time Im actually asleep vs time just laying in bed. Since I've lost weight, I sleep much better and don't wear it to bed anymore.

I never used the calorie tracking. I track my calories on Sparkpeople and just input the average number of calories I consume. I'm not sure you can do that with bodybugg.

I love that I can upload to Excel, so I have a really good record of how I've been doing over time.

I still love my gowear fit and wear it most days. I find it very motivating.

One thing that is better about the bugg over gowear fit is that the gowear fit only comes with a medium armband and I believe the bugg comes with a med and a large.

I've had the GoWearFit for about a month.

I like it - I like the tools and reports, I don't mind wearing it, all of that is fine.

But I have concerns about its accuracy with regard to tracking my activity.

For example, it will not give me "vigorous activity" for nothin... I do a brutal hour on the eliptical, pushing it at 15 crossramp and resistance of 8 or 10. The Precor machine at my gym estimates my calorie burn at 11 calories per minute (over 700 for the hour) and the GoWearFit does NOT ever show that as vigorous. It boggles my mind.

I even changed my settings on the GWF tool so that any thing over 4.5 METS should be considered vigorous and it STILL doesn't consider my eliptical routine as vigorous.

It does, however, log my teeth-brushing in the morning as vigorous. My teeth-brushing at night, BTW, is not vigourous.

Last night, I did 1 hour and 15 minutes on the treadmill and it logged only 56 minutes of activity.

When I do the weight machines, it barely registers as activity. And I do a pretty rigorous weight circuit - where I am working hard and sweating buckets. And when I upload my band, you'd think I was rocking in a hammock or something. LOL It acts like it wasn't hard work.

So.... that's my complaint. I still appreciate it, and for me I just consider it "relative" and not accurate. I know much of my working out is very much vigorous and I don't know why the GWF doesn't read it as such, and that frustrates me. But at least it's under-estimating and not over-estimating so I figure in reality I'm burning MORE than it says.

I still log my food on The Daily Plate and then once per day, I make one manual entry in the GWF food log bringing over my calories, fat, Protein, etc. The GWF database for food logging is lacking so I stick with one I like better.

I thought I would add that the Bodybugg website is showing the monitor on sale for $199 now instead of regular $249. They also lowered the monthly membership fees to keep synching after the first 6 months and I was happy about that.

- Do you wear it all the time or just when you're working out?

- Have you found the expected weight loss for the week to be accurate?

- How many calories do you burn in a day with and without working out (if you could include your age, weight, and gender, that would be great)? I'm trying to figure out which online calculators are the most accurate. I'm female, I weigh 190, and I'm 23. I estimate that I burn about 1600 calories a day without exercise. Does this sound accurate?

-Yes, you should wear it all of the time (except while sleeping and in water) in order to get an accurate reflection of what you burn in a day. The point is to track how many calories you consume versus burn. It helps to know how much you've truly burned. I suggest wearing it at least one night while you sleep and just add that everyday instead of wearing it to sleep. That's what my 24 Hour Fitness Personal Trainer suggested when I had him. :thumbup:

-I found the expected weight loss to be accurate. I wore it for 6+ months (I haven't worn it in close to a year because it didn't fit into my budget). You'll of course have to account for bloating and such on some weeks.

-When I was wearing it and training 2x a week with a trainer and 2-3 times on my own, I burned 1,800 - 2,000 calories without working out and 2,800 - 3,100 when working out. I was 23 years old , 5' 7 1/2", and female. I can't say how accurate 1,600 calories is because it depends on your metabolism. If you exercise frequently you probably burn more when you don't exercise than if you didn;t have an exercise regimine.

I hope this helps. Oh, and I loved the Body Bugg. I hope to get the new version next year.