Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting started and have a choice to make.

Hi,

Just thought I would introduce myself and say congrats to all who have already had this done.

I am Nancy and I currently live in Grovetown, GA (it's where the Army wants us for now). I am 5' 7" and weigh 236 with my BMI about 36.

I met with the General Surgery dept. here at the hosp. yesterday and they told me that I qualify for the surgery. I was given 2 choices: The surgeon for the military hosp. (who come highly recommended) is deployed and will be back the end of the year, with surgery right after the first of the new year, or I could Tricare out and have it done by one of a couple of Drs. out in town.

I have read a good many of the post on here and a few other boards and have decided the I want the LapBand done instead of the other variation of gastric surgery. (was told I could choose that as well) So, here are my questions to those of you that have had it done already:

1. why did you choose LapBand?

2. what complications did you have if any?

and last:

3. If you were given the choice to wait and have it all paid for with no co-pay and with a Dr that is highly recommended but have to wait a few extra months or pay a co-pay and start the process right away with surgery in the next few months which would you choose?

I know this is a lot to ask, but I am just looking for advice at this point so I can make an educated choice.:juggle:

Thanks in advance yall.

Nancy:smile:

Hey Army, I am a fellow military wife, but my dh is Navy. I just had my surgery on Friday and couldnt resist answering you since I am newly banded. First, I chose the band becuz I didnt want the complications associated with bypass. For some reason, to me, the complications with banding just seem less scary. And I suppose thats mostly becuz my stomache and intestines arent being cut and rerouted. While I know I need to make good, healthy choices in my food with the band, I worried that making bad choices with food would really effect my health moreso with a malabsorbtive procedure. I am sure that there are those that would argue this point, but the question asked was my opinion, not fact. At this point after surgery, I am not completely pain free, but I am only pretty darn sore and tender at the port incision...

Having experienced military doctors myself for my hysterectomy at Tripler in Hawaii, I was impressed with my doctors. Really knew their stuff, did a good job and even had a bedside manner, which can be rare in military docs.. My doc, a civilian as there isnt enough room at the militaqry treatment facility for dependants, is good, he doesnt have a good bedside manner. I would have to ask how much is the co-pay? It shouldnt be much as there is currently no doc available for surgery. And the thing with waiting until he comes back from deployment, is he will want to take leave, be booked and busy beyond belief. Can you afford the co-pays, which really shouldnt be all that much.

After surgery I had no complications other than a nice temporary bout of being nauseous. A shot of phenagren and a nap took care of that. I was in alot of pain also when I woke up but some lortab took the pain from 7ish to 2-3. After that when it was time for meds again, my pain was only 4-5, really just sore as crude. My last "complication" of sorts is right now, coming into bandster hell. i am hungry and starving, sick of Jello and broth and popsicles, but i am stuck here until next week when I can start mushies.. This is worse that anything else, lol!

I am happy with my surgery and with my choice. The only moments regret I had is when I woke up in recovery and I was urpy and in pain.. But I have now lost 20 lbs since almost 3 weeks ago when i started the pre-op SF/FF clear liquid diet plus 3 Protein shakes a day. Now thats something to make me smile!!!

I choose Lapband because I like the fact that if I had complications the Lapband can be removed. I did not like the fact that with the sleeve I would loose part of my stomach, or the risk of leakage. I never put much thought into bypass to be honest. Also I wanted a slower weight loss, and it seemed to be the right choice for me. I thought it over long and hard before I made my decision.

I had surgery June 5th, so far no complications other than right now I get hungry, and that kind of sucks.

If I had the choice to have the surgery done with no co-pay by a highly recommended Dr I would go that route, even if there is a wait.

Edited by ~Michelle~

Hi, I too am an Army wife stationed at Ft. Lewis. There were several reasons I chose the Lap-Band over the bypass. But one reason in perticular. 3 weeks before I had my surgery my best friend went in for bypass. Shortly after her surgery began the surgeon nicked her vena cava and she started bleeding out. They ended up opening her from breast bone to pubic bone to find out where the bleeding was coming from. She ended up losing 8 pints of blood before it was all done and over with. She is so emotionally messed up from the whole ordeal even a year and half after wards.

But aside from that I liked the fact that it's not a "one size fits all" deal. I like that it's adjustable and if weight loss slowed or stop or I became extremely hungry and little fill would take care of it.

I had to wait for my surgeon to get back from deployment as well before I could have mine done. But after all the appointments and the "pathway" I finished right before he came back. So it worked out really well for me. Since the band was brand new here and only one dr. was certified to do it I was the second one here on post that he performed the surgery on. Let me tell you I was scared as hell to have him do it but Madigan Army Medical Center brought in a second surgeon from the Northwest Weight Loss Clinic to assist in the first 5 bands placed. So I recommend waiting the few months to have a highly recommended surgeon perform yours.

I have been banded 18mths and I have not had any complications at all. I reached goal weight 9 mths out and have since lost an additional 20 lbs. So I wish you the best of luck in your future that you make the right decision-for yourself. Take care and sorry to ramble on

Hi, ArmyWife;

As I have had two of these procedures (Lap band and Gastric Bypass), I can speak to this from a bit of experience.

The first thing I’d like to point out is the misconception that the entire Weight Loss Surgery issue is that of a big WLS “Smorgasbord”, and that all you have to do is simply pick the one that tickles your fancy.

Wrong.

They are ALL different, and they are meant for different types of people and bodies.

They ALL work (to varying degrees)…..but their long-term (and short-term) efficacy is dependant on some very individual elements. You really need to take the time and the effort to ascertain which WLS is right for you.

In other words, Your Doctor does NOT choose your Surgery. YOU do NOT choose your surgery.

The SURGERY chooses YOU.

It requires some homework on your part, some honest self-evaluation, and some consultation with Doctors that really know this stuff inside and out. Many of them do not.

I guess my first question to you would be, has anyone (meaning a Doctor that you have consulted) RECOMMENDED a particular procedure to you yet, based upon any extensive interview with you?

HH

Hi,

So, here are my questions to those of you that have had it done already:

1. why did you choose LapBand?

2. what complications did you have if any?

and last:

3. If you were given the choice to wait and have it all paid for with no co-pay and with a Dr that is highly recommended but have to wait a few extra months or pay a co-pay and start the process right away with surgery in the next few months which would you choose?

I know this is a lot to ask, but I am just looking for advice at this point so I can make an educated choice.:)

Thanks in advance yall.

Nancy:smile:

I chose lapband because I didn't want to deal w/malabsorption issues at my age, I liked the CONTROL lapband gives, I didn't want my stomach disected and then sewn up and left in place to produce acid but with no way to get IN to it (one reason bypassers have issues, it ends up)

I researched, looked long and hard at myself and my "issues" and decided Lap Band was my best chance.

I have absolutely God's honest truth no issues. My port moved a little but my surgeon finds it handily. I have no pain. I never have been nauseated. I can eat ANY food (inlcuding that bugaboo WHITE BREAD...UNTOASTED) and get full on about 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups of food (depending on my food choice). I LOVE my lap band. At almost 1 year out it appears it was the marvel I thought it would be. My post op pain (and we're talking a 53 year old woman who weighed in at 382 on surgery day) was MINOR...I'vehad dental procedures that hurt more and for longer. I would do it again in an instant!

And finally I'd wait....mostly because the follow up care is VITAL and being military you're likely to move around a good bit. Going civilian you may have problems finding a doc to treat you, etc. Plus it is a process, not a foot race. (I have lost 48 of my pounds since 5/7 when I FINALLY got restriction!!) Before I'd have hurried and gotten it done. Now I would wait for the perfect surgeon.

Hi! My starting stats are similar to yours! I started at 230 with a BMI of 37 (I am 5'6). I chose the band because I had met two people who had done it and had great results. Also, I wanted something that I could un-do if I hated it (which I don't).

I haven't had any complications so far, and I'm 9 months post-op. The only side-effect is that I've lost 50+ pounds and counting! :laugh: Honestly, I feel like this is the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Wishing you the best for your decision,

Catherine

My opinion would be to wait for the well respected surgeon with no co-pay. In the mean time I would read as many books to prepare for all the after effects(I liked the WLS for dummies). I can't say much about complications I had mine 3 days ago. I had very minor pain. I don't know if you have any children, I don't, but I would bet it isn't much worse than that. I had never had any surgeries so I had no idea what it would be like. My pain came and went getting up killed mainly because my nurse insisted on making the bed at a 90 degree angle to get me up! Which killed the abdomen. So movement was hard the first couple of days..other than that it has gotten better ever day. To the point where every once in a while I'll move funny and it gives me a twinge of pain and once i right myself its gone. I have been off pain meds since getting out of the hospital. Getting up and walking is the best piece of advice even when you don't want to it helps. Port pain has been the worst part but even then minor. I am a little more anal than most I won't go to a doc without a clean record I look up their license to see if they have ever had any malpractice claims. Also I would see if you could meet the dietician, social worker, and others that you will see that will have a direct hand in your case. That way you can see if you are comfortable with them...I talk more to them than my surgeon.

Thank you all for your responses. Just wanted to update you on my progress. I spoke with the bariatric nurse at the military hosp today and the surgeon's off post that I am choosing both used to work for the military hosp and have excellent reps (have found nothing neg. about them). She also told me that if I run into problems with Tri-care or I don't care for the staff or have a problem anywhere with the outside docs that I can choose to go back to the military hosp. because I meet their qualification.

Thank you again for all the advice that was offered. I really appreciate it and found it very usefull.

Nancy

Great! So when's your date? (J/k!)

I am sure you're excited

I am so excited. I spoke with the civilian dr's office that I chose today and am going to the seminar next week even though they probably won't even get my referal from tricare till then. At least the ball is rolling now. :)

Nancy

I guess I should add that I believe that I have most of the labs done (based on what I have read here and a few other places) since I was in the hospital a few weeks ago for 3 days. That's one step closer as well.

Hi ArmyWifefor Life... glad to hear this is working out for you. My hisband and I are retired Army so familar with the medical system -- plus, that was my job... I was banded July 17th -- 2 weeks ago today.. it has been easier than I thought. I really did not have any pain-- rather discomfort and took like 2 pain pills in all. Am just now progressing to the "puree/soft" stage and trying to figure exactly what that is --- so learning never stops!

Take care of yourself and you will do well. Good luck!

LMJ:rolleyes2::):):thumbup: