Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Connecticut Banders

Hi all,

It had been some time since I posted. I started my trek back in March of 09, but ran into some medical issues. I am back to 100% and have been cleared for lapband surgery. My date is Sept. 8, 2009 so wish me luck. Any other Connecticut banders out there? Tren:rolleyes:

congrats on your surgery date.i remember the time when i was waiting anxiously.sept will be here before you know it.do you have to do a pre-op diet.an where are you going to be banded.i did not have a pre-op diet an boy was i happy.i had to do the six months dietian classes.

Hi Sil,

I am going to St Rayfields in New Haven. I am sure I will have to do the preop diet, but nothing has been said yet. I was approved a while back, but during my "test diet" I ended up having, an "episode", if you will. Except for being overweight, I am relativly healthy, but during the second to last day, I ended up at the doctors. I felt drunk, slurred speach, tunnel vision, etc.....I am guessing it was just a coincidence, but it was pretty scary. Since then, I have been checked out by several doctors and back to my old self. So hopfully no problems. It looks like you are doing really great. 91lbs down, a big CONGRATS to you!!! Great job. Tren

i had my surgery done at yale newhaven hospital. hope everything goes great with you.good luck on your new journey in life.

Hello I'm Kristy from Naugatuck, CT...I've only just begun my journey. I have to do a 6 month program for CIGNA. Boo! But that's fine, its all going to be worth it in the end! Very excited and congrats to all!

Hi, I am Peggie from Bridgeport.

My date is Sept. 22. I am having the band placed at St. Vincent's with Dr Ehrlich.

I start my pre-op diet on the 8th. That is what I am most nervous about since I tried 3 days already and made it until dinner when the food in the kitchen just called my name. I don't know how I will make the 2 weeks. Guess I have to lock myself in the bedroom and not come out for 2 weeks.

I was very lucky, I saw the Dr in July and had the approval in a little less than 2 weeks. I have a low BMI compared to most 34-35, but some health issues that made approval easier.

I am staying overnight for one night, but the last few times that I had surgery I did have to stay 3 days longer because my oxygen levels go so low from the effects of anesthesia. I just get so drowsy and it lasts for a few days. I will warn my Dr when I see him prior to surgery so he can assess discharge when the time comes.

Good luck to all of you. Peggie

Hi Kristy

Hello I'm Kristy from Naugatuck, CT...I've only just begun my journey. I have to do a 6 month program for CIGNA. Boo! But that's fine, its all going to be worth it in the end! Very excited and congrats to all!

Don't worry, it will go quickly and if you are like me, you may have some doubts along the way. But I kept going back to why I decided to do it and here I am. I only have a couple of weeks before me surgery. Good luck Tren

Hi Peggy,

I am rooting for you. Don't worry about the hunger..I know, easy for me to say...but just say to yourself, I made a tough decision and I will not fail. Then go out for a walk, humm your favorite song in your head and think about how wonderful it will be when you suceed. YOU WILL!!!! I got your back! Tren

Tren,

There's the problem, I can't go for a walk. I have neuropathy from chemo treatments and I never know when my leg or arm will go numb and I lose it. I have fallen into the street, off my bicycle, and down the stairs. So no walks to get away from the food. that is one reason why I was approved so quickly. they are hoping that by losing some weight I won't get as numb, but I weighed 140 lbs right after chemo and couldn't return to work as a nurse due to the neuropathy in my hands. Now I am 205 and problems are about the same.

I have talked with my sons, one who is a chef (wouldn't you just know it) and the other who lives in my house with the love of my life, my grandson. I told them they have to be considerate during the 2 week time, no delicious smelling foods, maybe spinach and liver? And no leftovers. If I can't find it I won't be able to eat it. I will try and avoid the kitchen during dinner times just to make sure.

But I will eat birthday cake for my grandson on the 8th and start my pre-op diet on the 9th.

I am thinking that once banded it will be easier to tolerate the liquid diet for another week or two after surgery until I can eat babyfood on the third week.

Hi all, I live in NY but work in CT so I had my surgery in CT, so I am a half CT bandster I guess. :rolleyes:

I live in NY but was banded in CT too. Greenwich hospital here, 7/2008. So am a 1/2 a CTer too

Thanks Tren. I'm sure it will be here for I know it. I'm so excited and this is something I can't wait for! I'm ready to change my life and be more healthy and feel better! I acutally have my Pulmonary exam tomorrow...what do I need to know?? Can anyone help me?

Hello all! I am just starting my journey..I look forward to learning from all of you! Krisy..I live in Naugatuck too!! If you dont mind me asking..what Dr are you using? I am still on the research phase but hope to have things falling into place soon!! Thanks!

Hello aidansmommy - My surgeon is Dr. Macaron. He's GREAT and he's located right in Middlebury, just before Maples Resturant. Good luck and it's nice to know that there is someone else in Naugy with me!

Thanks Kristy!! I am so excited there is someone right around the corner from me..thanks for the doctors name..I never heard of him! I will def look into him!!! Good luck with your appts :)