Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dropping weight, where from? Do I need to work out more?

I started at my heavest at 295 in December 2008 wearing 22, and still squeezing into some 20's. Now I am down to 218, some 20's are big, some just right, some 18 just right, some still too tight by a good couple inches. I know sizes differ, but I thought I would be in solid 18's going on 16's by now.

So my question is, my boobs are shrinking, my legs, my feet, my face, but not my stomach. The 18's that don't fit are baggy on my legs, but can't button. And these are pants I used to wear!

My question to those fitness people, do I need more stomach exercises? I care more about the clothes getting bigger than the scale getting smaller. Advice please!

what do you do for your workouts?

I am def. not an exercise expert but I have done a bit of research on this myself and I do know two things: 1. the bigger you are the more pounds between sizes. 2. Ab exercises do not make your stomach smaller...only losing fat. I mean doing ab exercises will make more muscle which helps to tone and takes up less space than fat; but bottom line is just keep losing the weight. Unfortunately we can't control where the weight comes off!!! I wish I could!

I walk and I just started yoga. Taking yoga to improve agility. Weight loss is causing some tendon and nerve pain (due to fat leaving and them rubbing on each other) so stretching helps. That is it so far...

No matter the Protein, unless I take adipex, I have little to no energy, and stuggle to work out or walk. I just want to make sure I lose fat and not muscle.

You may want to consider swimming for exercise. It's low impact and you can burn a bunch of calories while swimming laps or swimming in place. I think it helped me alot my first summer after being banded.

As far as the sizes go, they fluctuate so much at the stores. I think they're just trying to make us crazy. If you keep on losing the sizes will go down. I think it took 50 pounds for my first size down. It gets to take less as you go down in the sizes.

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue

I've found that working out with my personal trainer since March 2009 has reshaped my body. I'm 235 and I'm in a 16W. We do Biggest loser workouts and then I hit the sauna. I work out with him twice a week and in between workouts I started jogging. 7/4 was my first 5K completed and did another one on 7/11. You definetely can't spot reduce, but cardio will reduce fat.

I know how you feel. I work out with a trainer twice a week and ride my bike twice a week. I've only only 12 pounds but have lost 21 inches. I am down 6 sizes! From a 26 to basically a 20 and currently wearing some 18's. Cardio will help you burn fat. My trainer makes me do at least 40-50 minutes of cardio...now if I can only drop more POUNDS!!!

I've found that working out with my personal trainer since March 2009 has reshaped my body. I'm 235 and I'm in a 16W. We do Biggest loser workouts and then I hit the sauna. I work out with him twice a week and in between workouts I started jogging. 7/4 was my first 5K completed and did another one on 7/11. You definetely can't spot reduce, but cardio will reduce fat.

I started doing Biggest Loser workouts and holy crap they really work you out. I've never sweated so much during a workout!!!

Agreed with all the above. The only caveat is that if you have weak stomach muscles, they will bulge out. Picture the typical skinny guy with a beer gut. If you tone them up, they will get flat. But it won't get rid of the fat over the top of them.

Bodies store fat in weird ways. I've lost 80% of my excess weight so far and my arms and legs lost so much fat that you can see big thick veins and the muscle striations. I don't think I ever saw a vein on my body before, lol. My remaining 20% is completely in the area between my armpits and hips, even though that's the first place I wish I could have lost fat.

Edited by AirKuhl

Unfortunately, I too noticed you cannot reduce one particular spot. I run and walk at an incline on my treadmill and I also lift weights for my arms. I've lost over 40 pounds, and I've dropped four sizes in my pants. Oddly enough, although my arms have tightened up a bit, my top half of my body is still the same size. I haven't been able to get into smaller tops and my chest hasn't shrunk at all! But, I suppose we just need to keep working at it and soon our entire body will show the effects of our hard work!

What are the Biggest Loser workouts? What all do you do?

What is the best excersice for the upper arms..i have lost so much that my arms are soooo flabby..really need to tighten them up.any help would be very apreciated

dee

What is the best excersice for the upper arms..i have lost so much that my arms are soooo flabby..really need to tighten them up.any help would be very apreciated

dee

Unfortunately the skin on your upper arms doesn't shrink well, especially for women. Your option is to fill "the bags" with some muscle. There are many different machines in the gym that work out your triceps and biceps. Push-ups at home work too.

There is always surgery as well, IMO a last resort.

Spot reducing isnt possible unfortunately, but cardio cardio cardio is the way to lose stomach fat. Particularly interval style workouts where you go really HARD for a minute, then recover and alternate. (have a look at www.cardiocoach.com).

Eventually, your stomach will shrink but your proportions are what they are and if you tend to be apple shaped with relatively larger abdomen and thinner legs, you always will be, although that wont stop you looking great! Just like I have the opposite, things that fit my bum and thighs are gappy round the waist with inches to spare.

You don't need a machine. Just a stair or raised fireplace hearth.

Triceps press: sit on the floor with your back to the stair or hearth. Elbows out with arms bent so that your fingers curl over the edge of the stair. Cross your ankles. Then push down on your hands and lift your body. Lower, lift....you get the picture!