Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't care: A Michael Jackson Rant

So what if he could dance? (He could also grab his crotch and squeal...talent? REALLY?) So what if 20 years ago he was popular??? So what if every now and then a decent song came out of him?

He was a freak show, an unstable psycho who endangered his own kids (does anyone remember the balcony??) and *probably* molested children. Making your kids wear sheets over their heads, and freak-a-zoid Mardi Gras masks doesn't make for an icon worth revering. I don't care how much "talent" you have, kids should come first!!!! What's the matter with people that they didn't take that into consideration. Let's just brush this molestation issue under the rug, because gosh darn it, he could sing and dance!! Wooo.

Good riddance, MJ....

he was troubled, but he was still someone who made an impact on others lives...you are entitled to your opinion. He wasn't just popular 20 years ago! Wait until his funeral it will be huge! Elvis danced sexually (for back then) and people still loved him! Michael is no different. They may not have fallen in love with him or even liked him as a person, but they loved his music and his performances and even his videos! This is a sad day for me, but not for you and that's fine...just like when my father dies you wont care, but it will impact me.

The fact that so many people become emotionally attached to famous folks amazes me. If he was your bff, then I am sorry for whatever loss that causes you.

For me, he was a just an f'ed up singer who touched little boys.

Anyone who worships that is just as sick, IMO.

I DID NOT say that he was my "BFF" I simply said that he had an impact on my life. He was never convicted of child molestation and in the country we live in it is innocent until proven guilty. You cannot condemn someone for accusations...if you could a lot of innocent people would be jailed for no reason other than word of mouth! BTW I also never said I worshiped him so please do not put words in my mouth

Yes, Michael was a weirdo. Child molester? I don't know. But I do know that he was a hell of a performer who did a lot of good during his lifetime. I'm sad he's gone, just like I was sad when Princess Di was killed. Not because I was personally close to either of them, but because I respected them both for the great things they did while they were alive.

His behavior with his kids - covering their faces (understandable considering his fame and the risk of kidnap) and the famous balcony incident - I know parents who do far more unusual and harmful things to their kids, but there are not cameras around to capture those moments.

Anyway, yes, Michael was a weirdo, but I have to respect him as a philanthropist and a damn good performer!

So because he could preform, he deserves our admiration? Being a nut job who endangered kids is overlooked because he can sing?

Really?

I will save my respect and adoration for those who don't hurt children physically and emotionally, whether they can entertain me or not.

I'm just not that selfish.

Exactly, Lap! Well said! He didn't hurt his kids physically or emotionally (That you would know of). Yeah...you're going to save it for who? All the druggy rock bands or purhaps the gand banger rappers? Come on please

My gut reaction is to agree with you Gloucester.

Its sad he died, personally I have no emotional attachment to it. I'm gutted about Farrah though, that one really touched me.

I think its a matter of whether you see MJ as doing anythign great - I dont. I tend to believe the stories abut him and i also didnt really see his music as anythign special at all. But the evidence that other people did is there, that's for sure, so I can see that people feel he made a great contribution.

I think the thing is, people saw Princess Di as having had a hard life through none of her own doing, Charles was the bad guy - so her death was tragic. It was huge here because of course, we're part of the commonwealth. Its sad about Farrah coz she got sick - also tragic. But its not sad about Michael because he was a weirdo? He was definitely sick. I think he probably lived a very sad and lonely decade before he died. Even though I have no respect or admiration for either the man or his music, that IS sad. I'm sure fame isnt all its cracked up to be.

There are just too many good people in the world who die every day for me shed a tear over a jerk who died.

I don't believe anything is wrong with feeling sorrow over the loss of someone, but what I don't understand is how people can over look the train wreck he's left behind. Children are the most precious commodity we have, not however many platinum albums one can sell.

Have we all lost our minds to overlook that?

Pete Rose couldn't get into the hall of fame because he gambled.

MJ hangs a child over the balcony and everyone just looks the other way. He pays off the family of the boys who accused him...and each time we looked the other way?

Unbelievable.

Oh, but right...he could sing and a lot of people enjoyed that.

Oh, okay, then. Nevermind.

There is no proof he paid off people...come on! He wasn't a jerk..he did a lot of great things! SO just because you don't like him means that anything in his life that he did to help others and to make a difference should mean nothing? There are also plenty of people out there that look perfect and nice that do horrible horrible things in private that you may never know about because they will never be caught!

Yes, Michael was a weirdo. Child molester? I don't know. But I do know that he was a hell of a performer who did a lot of good during his lifetime. I'm sad he's gone, just like I was sad when Princess Di was killed. Not because I was personally close to either of them, but because I respected them both for the great things they did while they were alive.

What great things did he do? And is it a balancing system? If he does bad things, but also does good things that makes him a good person?

His behavior with his kids - covering their faces (understandable considering his fame and the risk of kidnap) and the famous balcony incident - I know parents who do far more unusual and harmful things to their kids, but there are not cameras around to capture those moments.

So, that means that because other people are bad with children it's okay for the famous, good singers to be? This isn't a rant about other people hurting children - because, trust me - I hate them too. This is about society overlooking and EXCUSING him for what he did to kids - just because he could sing. I find that superficial.

Anyway, yes, Michael was a weirdo, but I have to respect him as a philanthropist and a damn good performer!

RIGHT! So, it's okay what he did, because he could sing. Oh, and dance.

If only Jeffrey Dahmer had won the jury over with a little song and dance.

There is no proof he paid off people...come on!

Um...yeah. There is. It's called the NEWS. It was in the 90's. And, it happened more than once. AND, he admitted to sleeping with boys who came to his ranch for sleepovers because "It's natural with loved ones." This was after a young boy accurately described his penis to authorities.

He wasn't a jerk..he did a lot of great things!

Do they out-weigh him showing his penis to a small child?

SO just because you don't like him means that anything in his life that he did to help others and to make a difference should mean nothing?

I liked him. I liked him when he was relevent and not so weird. But, hey, WEIRD isn't bad. Weird is just cooky and out there, and I'm a fan! What I don't like is child molesters. Whether you believe it or not, and I do, I KNOW by watching the news that he put his baby's life in danger, he brought on the media attention by calling them and giving them a "heads up" on where he was going to be. Toward the end, when no one was watching him anymore - he made sure they would by calling the press! And, at his trial, by dancing on a car.

My WHOLE point, is that people are looking the other way on the bad things he did, and I don't understand why. Why are people defending him, when the things we DO know for A FACT are hurtful and harmful to children? Why does our society accept that?

There are also plenty of people out there that look perfect and nice that do horrible horrible things in private that you may never know about because they will never be caught!

Irrelevant. This rant is about MJ. And, again - just because other people do it, doesn't make it OK. Yeah, there are normal people out there in private who look normal, but do bad things.

How does that excuse MJ?

Is the New York Times proof enough that he settled out of court?

Personally, if I were innocent, I'd say "F-YOU, bring it, I'm innocent". I guess his lawyers thought millions of dollars was a better deal, or maybe a better chance...?

Michael Jackson Settles Suit For Sum Said to Be in Millions - The New York Times

I think in general it is sad b/c he was Iconic and reminds me of my youth.

I think he was seriously troubled and a bit off. I'm not sure he was a molester, but it didn't look good for him.

I think Farrah was iconic also, but she was controversial with her swimsuit poster and nipple showing through.

I also think it's sad when anyone dies, but I don't believe anyone can take away the fact he was an Icon.

I liked some of his early music as a single performer---post Jackson 5. When his last (I think) video come out, my DD told me to watch it, and it was something about his childhood. To us it seemed pretty evident something had happened in HIS childhood as well. Extremely wierd and sad video, wish I could remember the name, and I might be able to link it-------but anyway, it has been proven that molested people have a higher tendency to molest. Did it happen with him? Who knows? I DO know he had enough money and resources to get help-----it was not as though he was without options.

He seemed to me pretty normal for a music star up until he got burned doing that Pepsi commercial, so I kind of believe he got seriously addicted to pain meds or something then, and it allowed the wierdness to flow unchecked. Because like him or not, you must admit he turned into one very truly Wacked out person. The Wacko Jacko fit much better than King of Pop. Had he kept himself in another manner, he may have kept the title KOP--------but not when he wigged out .....IMHO.

What surprised me is how the news people, went from exposing his every gaffe----and referring to him as Wacko Jacko etc, to now they act like they loved him forever, and they were all personal friends. It happens often in death, that they iconize and idolize someone after they die.

Personally I would love to pull some footage of some of these anchors blasting him and criticizing him.....and put them, side by side with their patronizing loving reviews now.....ridiculous!

I as well has my DH are mourning his loss. I have to say I am mourning the loss of his childhood, his tormented life, his children, and the MJ of the 80's.

His music reminds my husband of seeing him in Germany, and it reminds me of all the good he has done. We are the world is one that comes to mind.

He will be missed, just as Anna Nicole was(also a whackjob), but he left a legacy just as Elvis did.

Glouc, when I say he did good things, I am not referring to his music or his dancing. Of course that was good. I'm talking about his philanthropy. He is in the Guinness Book of World Records for being significantly involved in more charities than any other public figure. He also co-wrote We Are The World, which raised huge money for people in Africa.

Regarding his settling out of court implying that he was guilty...I settled out of court with the IRS two weeks ago. Not because I was guilty of cheating on my taxes, but because I was tired of the three year harrassment and legal fees. Settling out of court often means that you're sick of constantly defending yourself.

I understand that you don't care. It's in your title. I'm not trying to convince you to care. I am stating why I care. Why are you trying to convince me not to?