Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't care: A Michael Jackson Rant

Was he a total freak? Yes, but so are a lot of other celebrities. I don’t know if he ever molested young boys, but he certainly had inappropriate behavior with them. Having said all that, he was still one of the greatest entertainers of all time. He was a key figure in so many music genres. He personified Motown in the late 60s, disco wasn’t our greatest era musically – but his stuff was phenomenal at the time, he led the R&B era, we was certainly the King of Pop, him and Madonna made MTV what it was, he was every bit as a great a dancer as he was a songwriter and singer.

I think he was a deeply troubled man, he lived an odd life since childhood and he probably needed mental help. It is unfortunate that the people around him were not able to help him. Bottom line, phenomenal artist and a man with deep issues all rolled up in one.

It’s not his fault the media is focusing so much on him right now. They chase the story. They did the same thing with OJ, Princess Di, Anna Nicole Smith, and every other celebrity. It is more with him because of his stature and his oddities. Can you imagine (no pun intended) what the media would have been like if John Lennon died today instead of 30 years ago?

Yeah, come to think of it...Hitler's great. (I mean, he's dead, right...so I have to appreciate him. He could paint very well, so I guess he wasn't that bad.)

It's hypocrisy I hate. Just because some one dies doesn't mean respect should be given. I don't care if people agree or not...I'm just stating that I don't get how when he was ALIVE, say, last week -it was more okay to bash him? How does that make sense? Oh, he died, so don't hurt his feelings NOW? How does death redeem the pain left behind to the ones still living?

I didn't like him last week, and I don't like him now. My rant began because out of the blue, like Kat stated before, every media outlet LOVES him. They didn't last week, why are they shoving the icon down our throats now?

I don't like him. Not alive, not dead. (His music and talent are not an issue.) I don't like the baby-dangling and the child molestation charges. One was a fact, that I saw over and over when the media shoved THAT down my throat, the other was a charge that was never proven - but one that I believe happened. (not to mention that a sleepover with young teen boys is no where near appropriate, especially the ones that MJ told the boys to keep a secret (his words in an interview, not mine).

I respected the posters in the Lounge, and at their request will not go into their pity party and bash him there....but, as long as the media is shoving it down my throat how wonderful he was, I need an outlet to disagree.

I'm not saying you need to respect HIM because of his death, but it would be nice if you could show a little respect for the people mourning his death...

Was he a total freak? Yes, but so are a lot of other celebrities. I don’t know if he ever molested young boys, but he certainly had inappropriate behavior with them. Having said all that, he was still one of the greatest entertainers of all time. He was a key figure in so many music genres. He personified Motown in the late 60s, disco wasn’t our greatest era musically – but his stuff was phenomenal at the time, he led the R&B era, we was certainly the King of Pop, him and Madonna made MTV what it was, he was every bit as a great a dancer as he was a songwriter and singer.

I think he was a deeply troubled man, he lived an odd life since childhood and he probably needed mental help. It is unfortunate that the people around him were not able to help him. Bottom line, phenomenal artist and a man with deep issues all rolled up in one.

It’s not his fault the media is focusing so much on him right now. They chase the story. They did the same thing with OJ, Princess Di, Anna Nicole Smith, and every other celebrity. It is more with him because of his stature and his oddities. Can you imagine (no pun intended) what the media would have been like if John Lennon died today instead of 30 years ago?

Interesting you bring up Madonna...I was just comparing the two today. They were both ground breaking, and around the same time. She had kids and didn't do freaky things with them even though, she herself, was a freak. (Has Lourdes SEEN the book X? Yikes....Can you Imagine that conversation? "Hey, mom...is this you naked - with a dog?")

Point is...he went one way, and she went another and I think her parenting skills were slightly better.

I think MJ and kids don't mix. Even if nothing sexual happened, it messed the kids up pretty badly because it wasn't normal, it wasn't appropriate. They were strangers who became friends who slept in his bed. Even IF nothing happened, would you tell anyone about it? If you were one of those kids, would you ever feel comfortable saying, "Yeah - I was one of those kids."?

I don't know that I would.

And, his own kids have that hanging over them, too. He did have the resources to get help and he should have. But, I think he wanted to be kids so badly he didn't think about the consequences. Again, even if it was just friendship he wanted then he should have realized it wasn't the right way to go about getting his own childhood back.

To me, the lack of judgement that he displayed the last two decades proved that he wasn't fit to be a parent, and that he wasn't acting in the best intersest of anyone around him. He was just selfish.

IMO

So what if he could dance? (He could also grab his crotch and squeal...talent? REALLY?) So what if 20 years ago he was popular??? So what if every now and then a decent song came out of him?

He was a freak show, an unstable psycho who endangered his own kids (does anyone remember the balcony??) and *probably* molested children. Making your kids wear sheets over their heads, and freak-a-zoid Mardi Gras masks doesn't make for an icon worth revering. I don't care how much "talent" you have, kids should come first!!!! What's the matter with people that they didn't take that into consideration. Let's just brush this molestation issue under the rug, because gosh darn it, he could sing and dance!! Wooo.

Good riddance, MJ....

ummmm..... SCREW YOU... Thanks!

What is wrong with you? And who do you think is a better performer??? If you've ever seen an interview with him you would know he's not capable of hurting any kids. His made his own kids cover their faces as a form of protection from the media and individuals like you who only want to critize him. He was the greatest entertainer ever!!!! He deserves every tribute he gets... He was one of the biggest humanitarians in this world, MJ has given alot of himself to us for our entertainment and he deserves respect. Check facts before you open your mouth!!!!!

Well said Flip!!!

I'm not saying you need to respect HIM because of his death, but it would be nice if you could show a little respect for the people mourning his death...

I actually did. I didn't reply the way I wanted to in the Lounge, so I started this in Rants and Raves.

ummmm..... SCREW YOU... Thanks!

ummmm - cause this is rants & rave section, we get to attack the "idea/topic" not the person (dont' want to get moderated now), so as stated there is a love fest thread for MJ in the lounge - have a party!

Ohh well thank you for holding your tongue long enough to make your own thread so you could vomit out your lies and incomplete facts...thank you

This thread not only attacks the issue/MJ it also attacks those that loved/respected him.

This thread not only attacks the issue/MJ it also attacks those that loved/respected him.

then move to the love thread if so offended - or report the post. that's the options i see, really those who don't feel the same as you have the right to say so - thus this thread was created, or so i think.

What is wrong with you?

Something is wrong with me...why? Because I don't like Michael Jackson? Wow...nothing like a good healthy respect for another opinion.

And who do you think is a better performer???

Are you going to give choices, or do I guess?

If you've ever seen an interview with him you would know he's not capable of hurting any kids.

Riiight. Because performers can't lie well. He acted, too, didn't he? Well, an interview, though...he had to tell the truth there, right?

His made his own kids cover their faces as a form of protection from the media and individuals like you who only want to critize him.

Yes, yes...I'm sure he was frightened of me. The one who couldn't give a crap if he walked by me or not. I wonder why putting paper bags over children's faces hasn't caught on with, I dunno - the other billion celebs who have kids? Oh...because they're SANE.

He was the greatest entertainer ever!!!!

Practice objectivity much?

He deserves every tribute he gets...

I'm thinking Father of the Year....

He was one of the biggest humanitarians in this world, MJ has given alot of himself to us for our entertainment and he deserves respect.

I don't disagree that he was a part of many causes. I also don't dole out respect for people that I believe hurt kids. Great...save the world from hunger - that does not give anyone the right to hurt kids.

Check facts before you open your mouth!!!!!

Okay...lay them on me. What, that he was the best performer ever? What facts do you have to back up that he was a decent person?

It is my opinion that he was a creepy perverted child lover. If it had been my kid, the jerk would have gotten a bullet in brain.

then move to the love thread if so offended - or report the post. that's the options i see, really those who don't feel the same as you have the right to say so - thus this thread was created, or so i think.

Thanks, you are correct.

One more like that and I'll be moving on to the Lounge.

Either that or win the love with some cuddle time with my neighbor's 8 year old son. (hey, I've got vocals...so it's okay.)

Yeah, come to think of it...Hitler's great. (I mean, he's dead, right...so I have to appreciate him. He could paint very well, so I guess he wasn't that bad.)

It's hypocrisy I hate. Just because some one dies doesn't mean respect should be given. I don't care if people agree or not...I'm just stating that I don't get how when he was ALIVE, say, last week -it was more okay to bash him? How does that make sense? Oh, he died, so don't hurt his feelings NOW? How does death redeem the pain left behind to the ones still living?

I didn't like him last week, and I don't like him now. My rant began because out of the blue, like Kat stated before, every media outlet LOVES him. They didn't last week, why are they shoving the icon down our throats now?

I don't like him. Not alive, not dead. (His music and talent are not an issue.) I don't like the baby-dangling and the child molestation charges. One was a fact, that I saw over and over when the media shoved THAT down my throat, the other was a charge that was never proven - but one that I believe happened. (not to mention that a sleepover with young teen boys is no where near appropriate, especially the ones that MJ told the boys to keep a secret (his words in an interview, not mine).

I respected the posters in the Lounge, and at their request will not go into their pity party and bash him there....but, as long as the media is shoving it down my throat how wonderful he was, I need an outlet to disagree.

You are being facetious. You don’t have be a “great person” to get the attention of the media or for people to be fascinated with you. I never said he was a great person. He did some great things (philanthropy, “We are the World”, Aid for Africa, etc.), he was a great entertainer (the numbers and the fans prove that), but a great person – no I don’t think so. He clearly had a lot of issues, frankly we will probably never really know the extent of those issues.

I personally can separate what he did as an entertainer and what he may or may not have done in his private life (while still acknowledging that both are true). I grew up in the 70’s and 80’s, he had a huge impact on my generation form a musical perspective. As I said, he was deeply troubled and had some serious problems later in life and I certainly don’t apologize for any of that.

The media is coin operated. They will run with a story like this until it stops making them money. To some extent they will say what people want to hear so that they will stay tuned in and they will make more money. Like it or not, people are fascinated by Jackson, the media senses that and is riding the wave.

I don’t buy into the “don’t bash the dead” theory though. Both aspects of his life are truths that should be looked at together and to separate one from the other would be disingenuous. It is a fact that he was an entertainment phenomenon, it’s also true he was an eccentric weirdo.