Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Head Has Hit A Wall!!! (LONG)

I say my head because I am doing things I know I shouldn't. I got may band on 3/9/09. By Mother's Day I was a size 14 down from a 22. I had lost about 30lbs and I was very pleased with the way things were going. I had a fill on 4/13 and didn't have much trouble with any food as long as I chewed well. I wasn't hungry and I was easily making the good choices. I was so happy when I was finally under 200lbs for the first time in almost 25 years! NOW I have had two bad weeks in a row. The crazy thing is that June was supposed to be my "jump off" month. I have a trip planned in the middle of Aug. and I wanted to get another 15 or so pounds off by then. I keep eating, not hungry I just keep eating. I don't know why, I eat and then eat again and then I eat again. I also find myself grazing. I am not hungry at these times, I am just doing it. I don't seem to know how to stop myself. It is as if my head doesn't want any part of this any more. For that reason I don't want another fill, I don't think I need one since I'm not having trouble getting full. Each night I go to bed telling myself that tomorrow will be the day I get it back together, but it's just not happening. How do I get past this craziness?

Niterun - I was banded the day after you. The band does wonderful things for taking away our hunger, but that head hunger sure is another issue! I've found myself standing with the refrigerator or pantry doors open, not even sure how I got there! I've had to tell myself out loud "You are NOT hungry, what are you doing??" It is just such a habit. I was gone for my stepson's wedding a week ago and it is amazing how being away from home and my routine got me away from my good habits I had going.

How about getting out a picture of you at your highest weight and now, and comparing the two, so you can see the progress you have made? Or getting out a pair of your old pants that are now too big as a reminder of how far you have come? My doc suggests waiting until I am hungry to eat - not eating just because it is lunch time. That really seems to help me and is retraining me to eat when my body needs it, not just because. I've had a couple of those days where I grazed on things I shouldn't, but for me they didn't taste as good as they used to, and the guilt - oh my!!

You're not alone in this - head hunger is something I'll always fight. Put yourself and your health first and really make an effort to think through any food choice before you eat.

Let me know how you are doing.

p.s. I log all my food and exercise on thedailyplate.com. If you aren't logging what you eat, this may help. Seeing the calories, Protein, etc., really was eye opening for me. I entered I wanted to eat 1200 calories a day (I average 950-1200) and it lets you know how many calories you have remaining after each food selection and has a great database of foods. Almost any food you can think of is listed there.

Edited by bambam

the artical was right on time. BINGO!!! i knew i was doing it to myself, this should help me work on why. thanks bunches. i haven't been logging the food just because i already know it's to much. not doing to bad today, but it is still early, i am taking it hour by hour also trying to stay busy. back up to 199.5 this moring, hope next week i will be down to 197, fingers crossed!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches